RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitaker View Post
Keeping an older thread alive.
I'm looking at surge protection /ems units. I like the Progressive Industries units but have a different type of question.
I'm more concerned with the PI 50 Amp ems!/surge protector reading correctly as far as warnings and such. Thanks
I'm hoping to buy a 50 Amp ems /surge protector so I only have to buy one.
The PI 50 amp ems will work fine for you. It will report one of the legs (either L1 or L2) as always at zero amps if you have your 30 amp dogbone plugged into it.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #142
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
you dont have to spend $$200 on an ev surge protector.they gave leviton whole house protectors at home depot site for $50
In my opinion, surge-only protectors like those sold for home use are fairly worthless for RV usage. Why? Because an actual "surge" where the voltage spikes to 600 volts or more are exceedingly rare.

The folks two spots down from us arrived yesterday and tried to plug into the 30-amp receptacle. Their PI EMS immediately caught a reversed neutral and hot wire. Everyone else in that spot wince we've been here used the 50-amp receptacle which is wired correctly.

Ray
Old 03-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #143

Quote:

PS.. The reason I'm wanting to buy a 50 Amp ems is that we've been thinking about upgrading our TT to a toy hauler and I'm sure it will be 50 Amp. So for now I'm hoping to buy a 50 Amp ems /surge protector so I only have to buy one.
Or you could pick up this surge protector for under $50 and plug it into your 50 to 30 amp adapter. I'd never seen one like this before and wanted to share.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Power...284147&sr=8-18
They keep making these things smaller and easier to carry (and lose).
Then you can pick up the really expensive one later.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Yes you need one.
Mike
Need one NO! Is it a good idea? maybe.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #145

I'm actually liking the price of this one.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progressi...using/51053194

It seems to run all the tests. But doesn't protect from low voltage. I like that it's $200 cheaper than the PI ems.

I tell you this.
We've been camping for a number of years now. We're in our second TT, we bought this one new in 2014. We've been lucky I suppose since we haven't had any type of surge / electrical problems. But this past Christmas we were staying at a nice campground in Pigeon Forge. One night we were watching a movie and the lights in the TT got really bright for a few seconds, we've never experienced that before. So that's why I'm researching surge protection /ems.
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #146

Quote:
you dont have to spend $$200 on an ev surge protector.they gave leviton whole house protectors at home depot site for $50
But that device Does NOT protect against low voltage and the resulting damage to the electronics in yoru camper.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #147

Does anyone have any experience with this?https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #148

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with this?https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/
I was thinking of the 30 amp for our trailer.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #149
Commercial Member

info

My Surge Guard EMS from TechnoRV paid for itself the first month of use.
It identified an open ground in the 30A socket at a city campground. This is dangerous. I checked the 50A socket and it was OK. Notified the city building dept who would have been the folks responsible for inspecting the electric hook-up.
They thanked me and said they went and checked all 12 pedestals in the park.
I like the fast (10 second) circuit check. I understand it would also warn if it "saw" a problem on the RV side too.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #150
NXR

Quote:
But this past Christmas we were staying at a nice campground in Pigeon Forge. One night we were watching a movie and the lights in the TT got really bright for a few seconds, we've never experienced that before. So that's why I'm researching surge protection /ems.
A plain old surge protector would not help in that instance. Surge protectors protect against power spikes that need to hit 600 volts or thereabouts. And the surge they can protect against lasts only a few thousandths of a second.

So one of two things happened. Presuming your lights are 12 VDC and this affected every light that was turned on you may have had a short-duration problem with your converter. Or more likely, the campground voltage went high for a few seconds.

If you asked anyone else at the campground if they had experienced the same thing and you could give them an accurate time you would have your answer. A true EMS would protect you against a high input voltage from the campground.

Essentially the more electronics you have the more you should invest in a true EMS unless you're bucks-up and don't mind a lot of inconvenience. Even if you do not have electronic slide controllers, touchscreens and five TV's you could still snuff a refrigerator control board which kind of would suck almost anywhere and anytime.

My Progressive EMS will cut the input power off if it hits 132 VAC. Normal voltage is 125 VAC.

Ray
Old 03-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #151

Quote:
Don't need a surge protector period. I have one still working on my house I installed in 1990. As I said they are a one hit wonder.

Voltage spike. odds are not likely to happen at a campground. But Low voltage certainly will. One should have an EMS.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #152

Quote:

It seems to run all the tests. But doesn't protect from low voltage. I like that it's $200 cheaper than the PI ems.

I tell you this.
We've been camping for a number of years now. We're in our second TT, we bought this one new in 2014. We've been lucky I suppose since we haven't had any type of surge / electrical problems. But this past Christmas we were staying at a nice campground in Pigeon Forge. One night we were watching a movie and the lights in the TT got really bright for a few seconds, we've never experienced that before. So that's why I'm researching surge protection /ems.
You are not understanding the issue. LOW voltage is your enemy and exactly what you need protection from. It will wipe out your A/C compressor motor.
The EMS has the spike protection built in.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #153

Quote:
If I was in the market that is what I would by. I am in a permanent site with new wiring and peds. Unfortunately it was done with too small of wire. Bad voltage drop. I use a use a Hughes Autoformer.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #154

Surge Protectors do I need 1?

"if a surge protector is necessary, why are they not included as part of the RV and installed at factory"

Well;

Our new RV came with a built-in water pressure regulator but not a EMS/Surge protector. From all the messages it looks like the Factory and the Dealer's are missing an opportunity to make more $$. Who would not buy after spending $50,000+ or even $20,000. Why hasn't there been complaints toward the Factory and Dealers. As a sales person, this should be at the top of the list of add-on's before toppers, extended warranty, etc.

I decided, after reading all the messages, to purchase at a minimum a surge protector. Picked a price point of and bought a 50 amp P. I. for less than I planned. It will protect against a surge, open ground, ect, not low voltage.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #155
NXR

Quote:

Per the manual it does not protect you from anything by itself. It simply informs you that you are about to fry things if you continue.

INSTALL STEPS:
STEP 1: Plug Smart Surge Protector into AC power. DO NOT plug in your RV at this time. Verify GREEN surge indicator LED(s) is on.

Your Smart Surge Protector will continue to work during any of the wiring
conditions
; however, only the Correct Wiring condition (both GREEN & BLUE
LEDís on) is optimal and any other wiring condition should be corrected by
Campground Maintenance before use.

So it's just an extraordinarily expensive plug wiring tester. Consider buying a $20 multimeter from Harbor Freight or a $5 Chinese multimeter from Amazon and save yourself a bunch of money.

Ray
Old 03-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #156

After reading this whole thread I have went from never having a surge protector in 25+ years of camping/rv'ing to placing an order for one.

Thanks, i think

I am going to order this one fleabay once I hear back from them that it is in fact new and not a refurb.

$50 cheaper then amazon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive...AAAOSwMAVeVBVw

2017 SCSB F-250 6.2L
2000 F-350 dually 7.3L
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
But that device Does NOT protect against low voltage and the resulting damage to the electronics in yoru camper.
Any electronic's I use in my TT are wired directly to the battery with the converter just keeping it topped off (If I'm actually plugged in that is).

Low voltage is not an issue.

Since I haven't used an EMS/Surge Protector in my last 40 years of RV'ing and have had no issues I don't see using one in my future.

Maybe I've just been lucky and have avoided the parks with crappy wiring.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #158
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
After reading this whole thread I have went from never having a surge protector in 25+ years of camping/rv'ing to placing an order for one.

Thanks, i think

I am going to order this one fleabay once I hear back from them that it is in fact new and not a refurb.

$50 cheaper then amazon

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive...AAAOSwMAVeVBVw
That's the one I and a lot of other people have. Do yourself a big favor and go over to Harbor Freight and buy one of their cable cutters for $20 if you do not have something similar. Cutting that thick 6-gauge cable is very easy with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/28-inc...ters-6649.html

I needed every bit of those 28" long levers. Wrestling those 6-gauge wires into place is easier if you have someone assist you because they are not very long inside the box.

Don't tighten the cable clamps to the plastic case initially or you cannot get the mounting screws tight.

Ray
Old 06-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #159
st4
from south Louisiana

Click image for larger version

Name:	A319F20F-6D62-46D5-940B-B3351A9811D6.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	231287
Old 06-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #160

Bought the best Surge Protector PI had ($300 +) vs cost of rewiring and new appliances ,it’s really a no brainer. It has helped in storms with lightening, improper Campground
wiring etc .

It only takes once —— today’s RVs aren't cheap — as the old Fram oil filter commercial
Used to say —- pay me now or pay me later ( may not be exactly)
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote