Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #121

Major difference between a Surge Suppressor and an Electrical Management System. Spikes are rarer compared to low voltage and mis-wired connections on a campground power pedestal. I do regret cheaping out and not getting the remote display for my install version EMS. The power inlet and EMS is under a dinette seat. I did plug in a basic $5 voltmeter display near the door where it is easily read in bed.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #122
Trailer Park Supervisor

Boomerweps, you can always get that display separately if you want, I think it's easy to install.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #123

EMS Protection

In my post #31, I said in all my years camping, never needed one. However I'm changing my mind. With 2 tablets controlling almost everything, a touch pad type thermostat, TVs, Radios, microwave, auto level, A/C, refrigerator and WH control boards, and on and on, The Forester is not the same as my simple 2002 TT of old. I was going to perm install an EMS, but I have read that if it is wiped out by whatever, you will have to do some unpleasant rewire work-around at your site to get anything to work again to be able to leave. So I will see if I can get at the incoming cord to install the EMS inside and plug it in to a new outlet box which would be ideal. To get stuff destroyed, the diagnostics cost, items burned out and the repair dry dock time and so forth is not worth it. All this happening on a long trip from home makes a person reconsider. Also, considering what a Forester cost, EMS cost is petty cash.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Need more info. What are you talking about? Are you talking about surge protector power strips?? JUNK.

Yes internal surge strip. I have blown out 3 (not cheapo ones either).
Merlin80232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:11 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin80232 View Post
Yes internal surge strip. I have blown out 3 (not cheapo ones either).
Are these strips blowing out on the same shore power? Do they blow out on your generator?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
In my post #31, I said in all my years camping, never needed one. However I'm changing my mind. With 2 tablets controlling almost everything, a touch pad type thermostat, TVs, Radios, microwave, auto level, A/C, refrigerator and WH control boards, and on and on, The Forester is not the same as my simple 2002 TT of old. I was going to perm install an EMS, but I have read that if it is wiped out by whatever, you will have to do some unpleasant rewire work-around at your site to get anything to work again to be able to leave. So I will see if I can get at the incoming cord to install the EMS inside and plug it in to a new outlet box which would be ideal. To get stuff destroyed, the diagnostics cost, items burned out and the repair dry dock time and so forth is not worth it. All this happening on a long trip from home makes a person reconsider. Also, considering what a Forester cost, EMS cost is petty cash.
The Progressive hard wired EMS has a bypass switch that will disable all functions of the EMS in the event of a failure, except for the surge protection function. I have not had a failure of the unit so as to be able to test the bypass switch.

But yes, ideally you could use a portable EMS with plugs and sockets and have it mounted in a basement storage bay. Removing it from the circuit could be easy, if desired.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #127
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The Progessive hard wired EMS has a bypass switch that will disable all functions of the EMS in the event of a failure, except for the surge protection function. I have not had a failure of the unit so as to be able to test the bypass switch.
Right. The remote display has a slide switch on it to bypass. I think the hard-wired unit with the built-in display requires you to open it up and move a jumper.

After we had several A/C shutdowns due to low voltage on our very second trip, I bought a Hughes Autoformer and installed it inside the electrical bay. The link is below for what I did and in one picture you can see the black box that is the Progressive Industries EMS hard-wired unit.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-197035.html

Ray
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
good thinking!! The EMS is like a firearm, you never know when you will wish you had one. But if that day ever comes, Nothing else will suffice
Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #129

I added my PI 50 amp EMS in a space behind my power center. I used 50amp range cords and outlet so if needed I can remove the EMS and plug the power center back in. Takes seconds. Then the next summer we were at a spot that I had to use both 50 and 30 amp cords to reach the power pole at the site. Our shore power connection is at back of the trailer. So I added a second shore power inlet at the front of the trailer and a second range outlet next to the first one at the EMS and now I can reach the 50amp power with my 50 amp cord anywhere.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #130

No, you absolutely do NOT ever need one . . . . . . . until you do!!
There are three groups on this issue: (1) those that scoff at them because "in XX years of RV'ing I've never used one and never had a problem"; (2) those that swear by them because they've had an issue and had to replace a $200-300 EMS instead of $10,000+ in RV equipment/components; and (3) those that swear by them for the warm and fuzzy feeling they get.
No matter what group you fall into, it all comes down to something called the "Calculus of Risk", which is essentially: P = R x D where
P = the cost of Prevention
R = the Risk of the event, expressed in % of likelihood
D = the Damage caused

The "R" is pretty subjective, some people, like Group 1 above, think the likelihood of a catastrophic power issue is maybe 0-3%?? For Group 2, it's 100% - they've experienced it and it's only a matter of time before it happens again. For Group 3, who knows? Maybe 25%? 35%?
The "D" is the driving factor. If you have a simple, 30 year old pop up, your "D" might be $200 - replace some lights and maybe a small fridge? If you have a Class A motorhome, $10-15,000+??? Even a relatively simple but modern TT, in the case of a catastrophic power issue, you're probably looking at $2,000+?
Multiply your R by your D and compare it to your "P". (In this case, the "P" is pretty constant across the board, somewhere between $200-400, depending on the EMS, whether you want to hardwire it in, etc.)
If your "R x D" is more than your P, then buy the EMS. If not, don't.

Personally, even if I'm in Group 1, I'm buying an EMS to protect my coach (3% x $15,000 = $450, which is more than the cost of my EMS @ $275). In actuality, I'm in Group 3, so my Calculus of Risk is 25% X $15,000 = $3,750 versus the $275 spent on a quality EMS. No brainer . . .
Old 02-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #131
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
No, you absolutely do NOT ever need one . . . . . . . until you do!!
There are three groups on this issue: (1) those that scoff at them because "in XX years of RV'ing I've never used one and never had a problem"; (2) those that swear by them because they've had an issue and had to replace a $200-300 EMS instead of $10,000+ in RV equipment/components; and (3) those that swear by them for the warm and fuzzy feeling they get.
No matter what group you fall into, it all comes down to something called the "Calculus of Risk", which is essentially: P = R x D where
P = the cost of Prevention
R = the Risk of the event, expressed in % of likelihood
D = the Damage caused

The "R" is pretty subjective, some people, like Group 1 above, think the likelihood of a catastrophic power issue is maybe 0-3%?? For Group 2, it's 100% - they've experienced it and it's only a matter of time before it happens again. For Group 3, who knows? Maybe 25%? 35%?
The "D" is the driving factor. If you have a simple, 30 year old pop up, your "D" might be $200 - replace some lights and maybe a small fridge? If you have a Class A motorhome, $10-15,000+??? Even a relatively simple but modern TT, in the case of a catastrophic power issue, you're probably looking at $2,000+?
Multiply your R by your D and compare it to your "P". (In this case, the "P" is pretty constant across the board, somewhere between $200-400, depending on the EMS, whether you want to hardwire it in, etc.)
If your "R x D" is more than your P, then buy the EMS. If not, don't.

Personally, even if I'm in Group 1, I'm buying an EMS to protect my coach (3% x $15,000 = $450, which is more than the cost of my EMS @ $275). In actuality, I'm in Group 3, so my Calculus of Risk is 25% X $15,000 = $3,750 versus the $275 spent on a quality EMS. No brainer . . .
If I recall, you're the insurance guy, right?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #132

Haha - no! (Worse - I learned this in law school!)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:57 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Haha - no! (Worse - I learned this in law school!)
Which explains why that answer was clear and complete but most certainly not concise
Old 02-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Which explains why that answer was clear and complete but most certainly not concise
Haha - paid by the word!!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Are these strips blowing out on the same shore power? Do they blow out on your generator?

Shore power. No gen
Merlin80232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina_Wine_Mixer View Post
Hello all,

Lets talk about surge protectors. As a newbie to the TT/RV world I have questions

1. Do I need a surge protector?
2. Do you use one?
3. What do you use/recommend?
4. Why do you recommend that one?

Thanks!
Yes you need one.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM   #137

Why?
No, you don't need one to RV, but you might desire one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike223 View Post
Yes you need one.
Mike
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #138

Keeping an older thread alive.
I'm looking at surge protection /ems units. I like the Progressive Industries units but have a different type of question.
Our current travel trailer is a 2014 Salem 30 Amp unit. We always connect to 50 Amp service due to being a better solid 30 Amp service with fewer interruptions using a dogbone adapter. My question is can I use a 50 Amp ems or surge protector for a 30 Amp TT? I know amps and voltage are two different things but I'm more concerned with the PI 50 Amp ems!/surge protector reading correctly as far as warnings and such. Thanks

PS.. The reason I'm wanting to buy a 50 Amp ems is that we've been thinking about upgrading our TT to a toy hauler and I'm sure it will be 50 Amp. So for now I'm hoping to buy a 50 Amp ems /surge protector so I only have to buy one.
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #139

Yes you can use a 50 amp. Just buy a portable and a 50/30 dog bone adapter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #140

info

you dont have to spend $$200 on an ev surge protector.they gave leviton whole house protectors at home depot site for $50