Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Table to bed?

I know that the U shaped couch/table in my 28bh converts to a bed. I also know because I read it in the owners' manual that you 'simply lift up on the top to remove it, pull the legs out, etc. One problem, well, two problems, really:
The table top will NOT come out. I could not get it to move using a rubber mallet. Two of us could not get it to budge. I anticipate this problem repeating itself when I try to remove the legs.
I have rocked the entire thing back and forth and around, but nope. That table top is on there. And on there good.
And the legs will not come out unless the top is off.

I didn't feel quite so stupid asking about the AC/fusebox/breaker problem, but this makes me feel as if I have some serious deficiencies in the brains department.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Let's start from the beginning. Is the table up, or down in the bed position? What do the legs look like? Are they folding legs or do they look like chromed tubes

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

The table is up. The legs look like 2 chrome tubes.
I have lost my magic decoder ring, I think.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Those are usually called "pedestal mount legs." They look like this: RV Pedestal Table Legs at PPL
They can be a real PITA as the ends of the tubes very often stick badly in the receiving sockets. I often had problems with this type of leg back when. Thank God they are becoming more and more rare in newer model trailers.

Soooo, what do you do? Well, there is no good answer to that one! However, I would suggest that you could try spraying a penetrating oil/silicone spray around the tube/socket junctions on the floor. After the oil has had time to penetrate, try to wiggle the thing loose. If that does not work, use about an 8-12" piece of 2x4 and a hammer to tap around the socket flanges under the table bottom. Hopefully this will loosen the connection at the floor. Do not tap too hard. Those sockets are often made out of cast aluminum and might break.

PS Notice the pictures for your trailer on the FR site. They have stopped using those legs on the newer models.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

Yup, that's pretty much what they look like. A bit wider and there are two instead of one. I will try to loosen them up. I don't really care if it's a bed. I just want the table out of the way. I could just unscrew the brackets and take it out altogether, I suppose.
I think I need to get the table off the top first, tho and then I can get to the legs. Even whacking the table with a rubber mallet with all the strength I can muster, I can't make it move.
I have penetrating oil. That will be the next step. But not until the AC is fixed.
Geez, this TT is just barely over a year old. Took 'em long enough to recognize that design flaw.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

My suggestion: get a friend to help. Each of you sit on opposite sides of the table. GENTLY move the table back and forth (sort of "wiggle" it) while applying upward, lifting force. This should work it out of either the base sockets or the under-table sockets. Good Luck.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

Ya, we did that. Guess two old broads can't 'wiggle' hard enough <G> But as soon as we get AC back, we will try that again.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

A rubber mallet will probably not deliver a forceful enough blow to do any good. Try getting someone to do as I previously suggested using a 2 to 2 1/2 lb. hammer, or even heavier if they can control the hammer.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Jan Goldfield

OK. Two pound hammer it is. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Dont forget the 2x4

I suggest you clamp a 2x4 to the underside of the table (use cheap bar clamps they are awesome to keep in the camper).

Hammer on the 2x4 to avoid cracking the composite table or buckling the formica top.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
Jan Goldfield

Good idea. Thanks. I got some 2 by pieces lying about that have needed a use. Now I have found one. And always have clamps. First the AC tho. I hope I can find someone today.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Stuck table post!

It will take a pretty forceful rocking back and forth, sort of rotating the table at the same time, pushing up or pulling up. I had the same problem with one of my TT. The bottom of the tubes are usually tapered more than the top. You may have to remove the screws that hold the base to the floor, turn the table upside down on the floor. Now stand on the bottom side of the table at the same time rocking one tube at a time in sort of a circular, pulling up on the tube at the same time. This should free the tubes up at the same time striking the AC circuit breaker, fixing it and the ac will come on (MAYBE) Serious, this should free up the table legs. Once you have the legs loose from the top. Re-screw just the tubes and bottom flange back to the floor. Repeat the same circular motion, pulling up at the same time. It will take a pretty forceful pulling and circular motion at the same time to free the tubes if sand has got into the taper insert therefore locking the tubes to the flange. Once you have freed the tubes from the flanges, make sure you clean all of the sand from
the tubes and flanges before you reinsert the flanges and tubes back together.

Good luck

Sid
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
Jan Goldfield

LOLOL.....sounds like major surgery. Could be I just leave the table where it is and learn to like it. Thanks for all the great ideas. And I might try it just to see if the broken breaker is magically healed.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
New Updated DE-CODER ring

Your problem is your decoder ring is the old analog version, you need the new 3-D digital ring.

Sid
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
Jan Goldfield

So THAT'S it. What cereal do I need to buy to get my new one? Or is it Cracker Jacks?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #16

WD 40 before trying to tackle this one, then keep it lubed every few months or so to keep it slick, your high humidity is probably a huge factor is this issue, my area is quite dry so it doesn't seem to stick too bad
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Jan Goldfield

Yeah, that's what I will do as soon as I get AC back.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #18

I have a feeling you may be having A/C problem. Am i correct
Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #19
Jan Goldfield

OMG, yes. It has stopped working. The electrician will be here in the morning. I am holding a good thought.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
It will take a pretty forceful rocking back and forth, sort of rotating the table at the same time, pushing up or pulling up. I had the same problem with one of my TT. The bottom of the tubes are usually tapered more than the top. You may have to remove the screws that hold the base to the floor, turn the table upside down on the floor. Now stand on the bottom side of the table at the same time rocking one tube at a time in sort of a circular, pulling up on the tube at the same time. This should free the tubes up at the same time striking the AC circuit breaker, fixing it and the ac will come on (MAYBE) Serious, this should free up the table legs. Once you have the legs loose from the top. Re-screw just the tubes and bottom flange back to the floor. Repeat the same circular motion, pulling up at the same time. It will take a pretty forceful pulling and circular motion at the same time to free the tubes if sand has got into the taper insert therefore locking the tubes to the flange. Once you have freed the tubes from the flanges, make sure you clean all of the sand from
the tubes and flanges before you reinsert the flanges and tubes back together.

Good luck

Sid
This is what we did on my buddies rig except we removed the screws that held the legs to the table-top and then wiggled them loose from the floor brackets.
It's a pain but that will work.
I don't like the idea of banging on the table with any type of hammer as you might damage it.

Take the screws out!
When we were done we used candle wax to lube the brackets.
No more sticking.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed