RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
And what do the boondockers like me that choose to never go to a campgrounds do????
Luckily for us, many Washington State rest areas have dump stations, for when we dry camp.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #42

I have 4 tanks. 2 grey and 2 black. Just to drain all4 takes 12 mins. 3 min each. Just to 1/2 fill the 2 black tanks takes 5 mins for both and then to drain each one is 2.5 mins each. Total 22 mins. Btw Iím one of the mom and pop.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
I have 4 tanks. 2 grey and 2 black. Just to drain all4 takes 12 mins. 3 min each. Just to 1/2 fill the 2 black tanks takes 5 mins for both and then to drain each one is 2.5 mins each. Total 22 mins. Btw Iím one of the mom and pop.
Curious as to what trailer has 4 tanks. I could use that when my kids and spouses come out and stay with us.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
As for some, I can hook up, flush three times, rinse, pack up, and be out of there in about 5-6 minutes. It's the Ma and Pa Kettle's that feel they have to hook up water, let it run for 20 minutes, sweep out the trailer, wash the truck windows, dump the trash, take the pooch for a walk, check tire pressure, check oil, all while a dozen or more are waiting in line to dump and flush.

I laughed out loud!!! I am nearly always behind them!!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #45

I see them all the time at our home camp ground with about 5 units waiting behind them.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Curious as to what trailer has 4 tanks. I could use that when my kids and spouses come out and stay with us.

Sierra 365SAQB. I was wrong we have 5 tanks. Black 1, main grey, black 2, main galley, and outside kitchen galley. So takes a little longer than I said. Btw I have a septic tank and finish with the built in rinse system at home.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
Sierra 365SAQB. I was wrong we have 5 tanks. Black 1, main grey, black 2, main galley, and outside kitchen galley. So takes a little longer than I said. Btw I have a septic tank and finish with the built in rinse system at home.
238 gals of waste water and a 64 gal FW tank. Don't think my kids could ever fill those.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #48

I had to wait behind 2 folks in front today and two more behind. I took me 6min. I left my hose flush attached to the water hookup. I pulled forward when done dumping and let the next guy in to start his work while I pulled low point drains and fw drain and pulled some items out of the trailer. I was there another 5 or 6min. He never let me know I left the attachment🤨. I know it's my fault but it would have been nice to get a heads up.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I had to wait behind 2 folks in front today and two more behind. I took me 6min. I left my hose flush attached to the water hookup. I pulled forward when done dumping and let the next guy in to start his work while I pulled low point drains and fw drain and pulled some items out of the trailer. I was there another 5 or 6min. He never let me know I left the attachment🤨. I know it's my fault but it would have been nice to get a heads up.

Depending on their level of expertise they may not have known.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Depending on their level of expertise they may not have known.
The one next to me was a newbie that was getting help from someone in his truck but the guy behind me knew what he was doing. At least I didnt leave my EMS or water pressure regulator.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm new at this, but really can't imagine leaving water regulator or EMS, maybe one day when the dementia sets in. And I can be forgetful. Especially when I reach the bottom of the basement steps and go, "why did I come down here???" Thanks to everyone for the dump station protocol. I schooled my camping buddy who also got a new trailer on this 'no flushing while people are waiting' protocol. Neither of us were aware you don't have to flush with every dump.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #52

there's a large gas station near us with two dump stations. they are free and very popular. yesterday (sunday) there was a line of 5 or 6 units all the time. so i watched how people dumped. some were very organized and efficient. others would wait their time in line and when they got to a dump station the first several minutes were spent rummaging through their storage compartment to get the sewer hose out. one person even brought out the sewer hose supports, set that up, and then laid the sewer hose on it to get to the dump pipe. others tried to get a hose attached so they could run it around and into the unit to put down the toilet.

we have a 5th wheel so the truck bed is open. it is possible to get all this stuff out while you are in line and put it in the truck bed. do your flush and put the stuff back in the bed. you can then pull out to a holding area and put things away. i would hazard a guess that of the elapsed time a person spends at the dump station, probably only 50% of that time is actually dumping as opposed to messing around getting stuff, talking, or putting stuff away.

the two dumps stations are along the same curb. when the front unit finishes and pulls away many times the next person in line will not pull out and try to get around the unit at the 2nd station in order to use the now vacant 1st station. they will wait until the 2nd station is vacant and then hopefully pull all the way up to the first station. kind of like cars at a gas station with two pumps in the same aisle. just because there are two does not mean that they are both in use all the time.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #53
Trailer Park Supervisor

These are the people at the grocery store who wait until the cashier tells them the total, before they start to fumble through their pocketbooks for the checkbook, then start to fill out a check.....lol. I nearly ALWAYS get stuck behind that one.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #54

njkris, you are absolutely right! i hate being behind those people in the checkout line! especially when all i have a jug of milk or so and i am going to pay cash. or the ones that have to stand there and direct which bag each item needs to be placed in. i've got better things to do!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #55
Trailer Park Supervisor

This is what the eye roll was invented for!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #56
Site Team

In addition to the time issue there is also the physical dump station constraints. As most campgrounds are not connected to public sewer they depend on a septic system of some sort. Septic systems have a real physical limitation in the amount of liquid they can hold/process. In addition many campgrounds were built when holding tanks were 20-30 gals and an RV had only one. Today larger MH may have several large tanks. If you assume a conservative example of one 40 gal black and grey tank dumped and flushed two times you can have approximately 160 gals of waste water per unit. Now assume you have a 100 site campground you can have 16000 gals of liquid dumped in the dump station on Monday morning of a three day weekend. This puts a huge strain on even a good septic system. Unfortunately the size and number of RVs using campgrounds is growing exponentially faster than the facilities ( electric, water, and sewer) at most of the nations campgrounds.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #57
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
there's a large gas station near us with two dump stations. they are free and very popular. yesterday (sunday) there was a line of 5 or 6 units all the time. so i watched how people dumped. some were very organized and efficient. others would wait their time in line and when they got to a dump station the first several minutes were spent rummaging through their storage compartment to get the sewer hose out. one person even brought out the sewer hose supports, set that up, and then laid the sewer hose on it to get to the dump pipe. others tried to get a hose attached so they could run it around and into the unit to put down the toilet.

we have a 5th wheel so the truck bed is open. it is possible to get all this stuff out while you are in line and put it in the truck bed. do your flush and put the stuff back in the bed. you can then pull out to a holding area and put things away. i would hazard a guess that of the elapsed time a person spends at the dump station, probably only 50% of that time is actually dumping as opposed to messing around getting stuff, talking, or putting stuff away.

the two dumps stations are along the same curb. when the front unit finishes and pulls away many times the next person in line will not pull out and try to get around the unit at the 2nd station in order to use the now vacant 1st station. they will wait until the 2nd station is vacant and then hopefully pull all the way up to the first station. kind of like cars at a gas station with two pumps in the same aisle. just because there are two does not mean that they are both in use all the time.
I keep all my sewer stuff in a larger Rubbermaid bin with a lockable lid and that stays in the truck bed. It so easy to be organized and efficient at the dump station when there is a lineup. You just need to think about it and do a little planning - and be considerate of others' time.

At Provincial Parks their water filling station is typically located immediately after the dump station and you can't access it without going through the dump station. When we went to Algonquin Provincial Park last Fall on a Monday, we arrived at about 3 pm and unfortunately there were at least 10 rigs lined up for the 2 dump stations. We had to wait in line to be able to fill our FW tank before heading to our campsite. The alternative would have been filling our individual 6 gallon jugs using a faucet in the campground that's spring loaded to shut off. I refuse to repeatedly fill our two 6 gal jugs to fill the 43 gal FW tank plus 6 gal in the WH tank. I felt guilty about it taking so long to fill our FW tank and water heater tank but there's not much I could do about it though.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'm new at this, but really can't imagine leaving water regulator or EMS, maybe one day when the dementia sets in. And I can be forgetful. Especially when I reach the bottom of the basement steps and go, "why did I come down here???" Thanks to everyone for the dump station protocol. I schooled my camping buddy who also got a new trailer on this 'no flushing while people are waiting' protocol. Neither of us were aware you don't have to flush with every dump.
I have a little tool box in our trailer that contains nothing but assorted pressure regulators and hose fittings that were left behind. Never have to buy one ever again.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
They may have thought it belonged to the campground.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #60

Because people get in a hurry and forget to disconnect the hose and drive off.Doing damage to their RV and the dump station water supply.
Jim89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, tank