Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Tear in linoleum flooring

I own a Rockwood 2304DS. On our last trip out some of the grandkids track some gravel into the travel trailer. I tried to sweep it out but I guess I missed some. When we brought the dining room slide in it caught some of the gravel and drug it across the floor and it tore a small hole in the linoleum. The hole is about the size of a 50 Cent peace. I can put the piece down because it didn't tear completely out but of course it won't stay down. I went to Home Depot and Lowe's but was unable to find any linoleum repair products. I can push it back down and it looks OK and I was wondering if just super gluing it down would be enough? Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair the tear in the linoleum other than superglue.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

I had a rip in mine from the dinette falling while someone was sleeping on it. I took it to the dealer and they were able to fix it so it is hardly noticeable. I'm not sure exactly how they did, but I think the used a heat gun.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

Epoxy to set it. Heat gun to warm the area to set it smoother. Super glue to fill in the surface cracks afterwards.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2700 View Post
I had a rip in mine from the dinette falling while someone was sleeping on it. I took it to the dealer and they were able to fix it so it is hardly noticeable. I'm not sure exactly how they did, but I think the used a heat gun.

Thanks. I just got the trailer in February so maybe the dealer will fix it for me.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
Epoxy to set it. Heat gun to warm the area to set it smoother. Super glue to fill in the surface cracks afterwards.

Thanks for the info. If the dealer won't help me I will try those steps. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #6

I just repaired a tear in mine with superglue last week. You can't even notice where it was. Put super glue down then rubbed the bottom of bottle over it until superglue dried.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrincross View Post
I own a Rockwood 2304DS. On our last trip out some of the grandkids track some gravel into the travel trailer. I tried to sweep it out but I guess I missed some. When we brought the dining room slide in it caught some of the gravel and drug it across the floor and it tore a small hole in the linoleum. The hole is about the size of a 50 Cent peace. I can put the piece down because it didn't tear completely out but of course it won't stay down. I went to Home Depot and Lowe's but was unable to find any linoleum repair products. I can push it back down and it looks OK and I was wondering if just super gluing it down would be enough? Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair the tear in the linoleum other than superglue.
I had a rip in my floor from the dog jumping off the stairs and his nail ripped it. I re-glued it with super glue then went and got some seem sealer to put on the edge, you can't see it. Another way is to cut out a square from your basement and cut out the same in your floor, glue that down and then still use a seem sealer around the patch....Hope that helps, these floors are super thin linoleum, anything will rip them...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Had same torn floor

I had the same thing happen to the floor in my 2304S but it was caused by the slideout bolts loose and the dealer fixed it under warranty, He could not find a match for the linoleum, so he had a professional that laid linoleum take a piece out of the storage compartment and patch the floor. Then he covered the entire storage compartment floor with a similar piece from Lowes. It just took some trim to cover the edges. I doubt that it was a big job for somebody that works with linoleum.
Dan
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

Another Note

I got the Lippert slide out Slickers, ground off the tabs and nubs and put one under each end of the slideout, No more problems. Th 2304S does not have height adjustments and mine rides lower on the right side.Do not load heavy items such as canned goods in the right drawer under the dinette.
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #10

Although they have not manufactured Linoleum in many years,,, DP is pretty close,,, do not use to much heat the Vinyl will shrink and no longer fill the opening,,, it would help to have a small roller,,, if you can not find any seam sealer you could use Clear Nail polish !
Super Glue may also work,,, as long as it does not turn Yellow !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
"On the road again"

Our new fifth wheel had three tiny gouges (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller) that is being addressed this week by the dealer. They've got a punch-list of things for us and they said they call out a linoleum company that does repairs in RV floors for them.

All the above sound like good solutions, but as a last resort you might consider checking with a local floor installation company for ideas.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Our new fifth wheel had three tiny gouges (about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller) that is being addressed this week by the dealer. They've got a punch-list of things for us and they said they call out a linoleum company that does repairs in RV floors for them.

All the above sound like good solutions, but as a last resort you might consider checking with a local floor installation company for ideas.
About the only thing a Floorcovering repair guy would do is use the proper Seam Sealer,,, you would hope ??? You can maybe find a place to buy Seam Sealer but it will be more than you could use in a lifetime !!!
Maybe even the Big Box stores sell it these days ??? Back in the day when I installed floorcoverings each Vinyl manufacture had there own seam sealer,,, so we had to carry 3 or 4 different seam sealers !!!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #13

Being a licensed general contractor on commercial buildings this happens from time to time. The professional floor layers use MEK to repair minor damage. The MEK actually "melts" the edges and fuses them back together. Unfortunately MEK is hard to find in small quantities and is quite toxic.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Being a licensed general contractor on commercial buildings this happens from time to time. The professional floor layers use MEK to repair minor damage. The MEK actually "melts" the edges and fuses them back together. Unfortunately MEK is hard to find in small quantities and is quite toxic.
I think I would be very careful where I used MEK,,, it may work well on a Commercial Grade Vinyl,,, but without testing it first I would not use it on the vinyl used in RVs - Mobile Homes & even in many houses these days ???

Tags
floor, flooring