Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #21

Another Up Date #2

Called the service department again today, the company that makes the slide out motor is now under a different company, the have been sold, now the service tech is waiting for a return call from the new company as to what to do, so at this point I will not be putting our camper on the seasonal site this weekend, the camper has been at the shop now for over a week. I ask the tech, what if the motor has to be replace....how much? and he said somewhere between $400 to $600 bucks...What a way to start out camping, It's not only the extra money, but the worsed part is waiting and not knowing how long. Who knows maybe we will be spending Easter setting up
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I ask the tech, what if the motor has to be replace....how much? and he said somewhere between $400 to $600 bucks...
And I would venture to guess that a replacement motor of a similar type could be bought through WW Grainger or another source for half that or less. Companies usually do not build their own motors but buy something off the shelf and design the system around them. Same goes for bearings.

Hope they get it back on the road for you soon. I feel for ya.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #23

Quote:
powerboatr, the reason it was not covered under warranty is because the connection were made with after market nuts and washers, I double nutted the post with a lock washer on the fuse block terminal and they know it, GM does not use lock washers.
The computer in the truck has an internal clock, this problem started two weeks ago but there were no indication that there was any thing wrong there 4 error codes that came up that were back dated with in those two weeks, the last 10 came up 3 days ago and according to the shop they were major ones. After correcting the loose connection the computer was reset and all of the wiring was traced out by the Mechanic to make sure that was it and so far all seems to be ok.
As far as the problem with the sheared bolts on the camper, I still don't know and waiting to hear. The RV shop told me that they were not loaded down with work and that they would be able to check it out in a day or two and that was last Thursday......My panties are bunching up, because they have not looked at it as they said they would and time is getting closer we are suppost to take the camper up this Saturday and get it set up, it's starting to get to me......
ok i understand now, i thought the camera was a gm installed item,
Old 03-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Called the service department again today, the company that makes the slide out motor is now under a different company, the have been sold, now the service tech is waiting for a return call from the new company as to what to do, so at this point I will not be putting our camper on the seasonal site this weekend, the camper has been at the shop now for over a week. I ask the tech, what if the motor has to be replace....how much? and he said somewhere between $400 to $600 bucks...What a way to start out camping, It's not only the extra money, but the worsed part is waiting and not knowing how long. Who knows maybe we will be spending Easter setting up
Don't want to pour salt in your wound, but if the slide works and all the motor makes is a clicking noise, why don't ya just go set it up? You could then take the motor off at your leisure. I like NWJeeper's idea, maybe use a different supplier. I know there is a guy in our local little town that works on all kinds of electric motors. Does starters, alternators, generators-the whole works. Might be a cheaper alternative if you can find someone like that.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #25

We had air bags put on our truck when we first bought it. Everything worked great for the first year, than the batteries kept loosing power and would not start. Thought for sure it was something in the truck, no it was the add on. I had to pay the dealer plus take it back to the guy that put the air bags on. I still don't understand why it worked for a year before I had problems.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Don't want to pour salt in your wound, but if the slide works and all the motor makes is a clicking noise, why don't ya just go set it up? You could then take the motor off at your leisure. I like NWJeeper's idea, maybe use a different supplier. I know there is a guy in our local little town that works on all kinds of electric motors. Does starters, alternators, generators-the whole works. Might be a cheaper alternative if you can find someone like that.

MightyMike, I am going to take yours and NWJeeper's suggestion, I have had enough. When I first took the camper in they said that they would be able to get to it in a day or two, my camper was up there for a week before they touched it and now they have to wait for someone else to tell them what to do with it. The camper is going on a seasonal site and remain there until July when we had to Myrtle Beach, I am going to check around for a replacement motor and have it on hand in case I need it....Thanks guys for the suggestions.....
Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #27

i think that is a smart thing to do cant be too hard to hook it up even if you had to make little changes not really a whole lot too the whole workings of the slide
Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
i think that is a smart thing to do cant be too hard to hook it up even if you had to make little changes not really a whole lot too the whole workings of the slide

You are right, how hard can it be? It's not changing out the motor that's an issue, it's just making sure that the slide out is in the right position. I change out motors any where from the little 1/3 horse power motors in fan coil units to the big two story air handlers we have with two 150 hp supply fan motors.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #29

I would change it out when either fully opened or completely closed either way should get you in good position
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #30
Site Team

If you have to replace the motor, check these folks out. Venture Mfg.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have to replace the motor, check these folks out. Venture Mfg.
Bama Rambler, I believe this is where the problem is, If I remember correctly from the service department the tech said that Venture Mfg was just bought out by another company not long ago, the service department received an E-Mail from Venture that they need to call the new company about the motor now that they have taken over.
I pick up my camper today from the dealer because of the run around and as of to day the service department still has not heard from them. I toke my camper to my sesonal and set it up, the slde out operated with no problem and I inspected the bolts and not one broke. I had my wife operate the slide out while I was out side under the slide out and I did not heard the clicking noise that the Mechanic said he heard....I just don't know' I guess if there is something really wrong it will show up at the wrong time. Thanks for the suggestion I will check out the site to see.