Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #21
Happy Camper

I agree with the "do it yourself" approach to most service & repairs. My brand new unit (just in for minor adjustments & repairs) sat in their CW "storage" for over 3 months. After many run-arounds, I demanded to get my unit back for, what they knew about well before hand, was a big planned family vacation. When I got there, the RV battery was dead, the shore power cord missing, and none of the reported issues had been repaired.

I was able to pick up the FR replacement parts from CW (at their reluctance) and replace or repair them myself. We love our 321BHTS in spite of dealership problems.

I did advise them that my unit will not be in their Camping World facility again!!!!
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #22

Solved! (Hopefully)

The situation is resolved, at least for the moment. The storage yard where we keep the RV also sells trailers and pick-up campers. Not Forest River, so I won't name any names. Anyway, I had seen the men doing work on various units, and so I asked if they did minor work on customer units, or if they just did dealer-prep.

I grabbed the co-owner and we went to the yard to have a talk. We were both having second thoughts about the dealer's shop, especially after reading several reviews about them.

Turns out they're quite happy to install vent lids and covers. Parts will be ordered on Monday and installed within the next couple of weeks. They'll call and let us know when to come and unlock the motor home, and the work should take only one day. Plus, we don't have to drive thirty miles in San Francisco Bay area traffic!

We called the dealer shop to cancel. They said, "Just give us a call to re-schedule." Won't happen, at least this time.

To grumpy 0374, I appreciate the offer, and probably would take you up on it. Dinner and a beer would be a bargain; I'd give you a twelve-pack or a case as well! I would love to learn to do some of these repairs and modifications we have in mind, but just don't have the experience or skills to do it. I did replace our WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics one a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty straightforward. The converter runs a bit warmer than I prefer, so I'm putting a temperature-controlled fan in the compartment wall to pull the hot air out.

Anyway, I ramble. Thanks, everyone!

K-R.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:22 AM   #23

Hay, we're only about 2500 miles apart! Just pop on over.
Seriously, don't be afraid to tackle some of the minor/simple repair or modifications. Most are just a matter of following instructions or using the proper repair materials. Lot of maintaince stuff you need to learn about and be able to do yourself. It will be a lot cheaper to do on your own.
Just remember, anything you have to repair, or any modification you are thinking about doing, has probably been done by someone here on the forum.
Just search, or better yet ask....lot of good info here, yours for the asking.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #24
Happy Camper

Look at it this way, someone making minimum wage, is possibly doing drugs, and has a bad attitude, built your camper so surely you/we/us can do a better job fixing, repairing, or upgrading our units because we CARE.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair