RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #21

so what do you do if your TT had 14 inch wheels and your close to the max load range ? Is there a heavy duty 14inch tire? Do you switch to 15 inch wheels and heavier tires ? Damn this RV'ing is getting expensive lol

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
so what do you do if your TT had 14 inch wheels and your close to the max load range ? Is there a heavy duty 14inch tire? Do you switch to 15 inch wheels and heavier tires ? Damn this RV'ing is getting expensive lol
I personally want a 20% cushion . . so if you can't find a tire in your size to give you that cushion then up grading to a larger dia may be in order .
i wish forest river did this from the get go . but you get the same ole lame excuse if we put higher rated tires on then people would over load . i have my cushion and do not and would not go over the TH max cargo
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #23

I switched to 15" on my prior TT, and could not have been more happier.
I ran them for 7 years.

Ram2500 diesel 4x4
FR251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paverdave View Post
Hey.....Going to be upgrading my new trailer tires..Castle Rocks 15".. to LT tires...Will be staying with 15" for now, like the look of the new 15" rims ..What brand of LT do your run. Are they 15s or 16 rims...Thanks Dave
You're going to be hard pressed to find 15" LT tires that will equal the load capacity of your OE tires if they are LRD. You can get close with a few of the European designed commercial grade tires. If your OE tires are LRE there are zero 15" LT tires with that much load capacity.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #25

Our trailer had Westlake tires in the 205/75R14 load range C. Last week I upgraded to the Goodyear Endurance in the same size, but load range D for the extra margin of safety in weight and highway speed. I also got a TPMS system.

Won't have it out on the road until next month because of work constraints, but I'll feel a lot more comfortable with these upgrades. The new tires were significantly heavier than the old ones, and I attribute that to the extra materials in them. Also had them balanced and steel valve stems added.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Our trailer had Westlake tires in the 205/75R14 load range C. Last week I upgraded to the Goodyear Endurance in the same size, but load range D for the extra margin of safety in weight and highway speed. I also got a TPMS system.

Won't have it out on the road until next month because of work constraints, but I'll feel a lot more comfortable with these upgrades. The new tires were significantly heavier than the old ones, and I attribute that to the extra materials in them. Also had them balanced and steel valve stems added.
Do you have the alum rims? I cannot find out if mine can handle the psi over 50lbs. Yours went up, correct?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #27

China Tires

I bought some 9 years ago, sold the trailer 8 years ago and have pulled the trailer for the guy that bought it and they are still on the trailer.
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #28

On our way home this past Wednesday I had a flat on our 5er...picked up a nail on outside edge of thread...could not be fixed.....Stopped at a Firestone tire shop in Nc to buy a spare. Two tires were severely "cupped" on the outside edge with some steel showing thru thread......Bought 4 new Load Range "E" tires......Guess what--made in China!!!
Dealer said I was running originals with low "psi" New tires called for 80psi....He said to run 85psi......due to weight of our 5er.......
Made it home to Nova Scotia......Will pay closer attention to tire inflation in the future!!!!! A lesson learned the hard way!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #29
Cutty

Tires

I bought the Korean tires called Nexen and just love them. 10 ply rated and came with 1 year road hazard. Half the price of Michelin and so far just as good. The only thing I dont like is that they bounce when cold but they all do....
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #30

My trailer came with c rated 15 inch tires rated for 2100 lbs my gross trailer weight is 9500 lbs either i flunked math or they put tires on incapable of carrying the weight. If they cant think of their customers safety any more than that ,i think its time we start buying trailers from someone concerned about our safety.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
My trailer came with c rated 15 inch tires rated for 2100 lbs my gross trailer weight is 9500 lbs either i flunked math or they put tires on incapable of carrying the weight. If they cant think of their customers safety any more than that ,i think its time we start buying trailers from someone concerned about our safety.
Dead-reckoning I'd say your published hitch weight is 1500# resulting in certified 4000# GAWR axles with LRD tires rated at 2150# @ 65 psi. Well within FMVSS standards.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Go up to a LRD in the same tire size. Look around the net. More than one manufacturer makes them.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 AM   #33

I've been reading these "China bomb" posts a lot for quite awhile. Still on the fence, and don't know which side to come down on. I will add my two cents, however. I pull a toy hauler, (4th one I've owned), and DW says I am anal about tire maintenance! I have friends that we camp and ride with that have not checked their air pressure in at least three years. Every spring, they just load up and go. I have a nephew that pulls a 5ver and a boat, and teases me at the campground because he beat me there doing 75/80 mph. I only drive around 60/65 mph. My tires are rated for 65 mph MAX, at 65 psi cold. I'm still having fun, and not putting myself and DW's life at risk. Sometimes being anal is good!
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Do you have the alum rims? I cannot find out if mine can handle the psi over 50lbs. Yours went up, correct?
Yes, we have the aluminum wheels. I didn't check myself, but Discount Tire installed the new tires on the wheels and aired them up to the 65 psi maximum, so I believe they are rated for at least that.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #35
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
I've been reading these "China bomb" posts a lot for quite awhile. Still on the fence, and don't know which side to come down on. I will add my two cents, however. I pull a toy hauler, (4th one I've owned), and DW says I am anal about tire maintenance! I have friends that we camp and ride with that have not checked their air pressure in at least three years. Every spring, they just load up and go. I have a nephew that pulls a 5ver and a boat, and teases me at the campground because he beat me there doing 75/80 mph. I only drive around 60/65 mph. My tires are rated for 65 mph MAX, at 65 psi cold. I'm still having fun, and not putting myself and DW's life at risk. Sometimes being anal is good!
Well said.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #36

Upgrade your Tires

I believe strongly that you need more load carrying capacity on most trailers. Another issue is that ST tires are just now coming out with tires rated above 65 mph. Don't buy anything less than an M rated (81 mph). Get as much load carrying capacity as you can. I found 215/75 R14 Taskmasters rated M with D load rating. I bought them for my boat and my trailers. No flats in over a year. A new record for me. With my utility trailer, I've had two flats on one trip two different times. Lots of graveled rocky roads.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #37

Over used tires. Based on:
Under inflated
Over inflated
Over weighted
Driving too many hours(over heated)
Driving too fast (over heated)
These tires are not meant for commercial use. They need care and rest.
All Done!

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I personally want a 20% cushion . . so if you can't find a tire in your size to give you that cushion then up grading to a larger dia may be in order .
i wish forest river did this from the get go . but you get the same ole lame excuse if we put higher rated tires on then people would over load . i have my cushion and do not and would not go over the TH max cargo

Thats what im going to do . I hoping these brand new tires will make the rest of the season since I have 5 brand new tires .

I will be upgrading to something LRD with a higher speed rating asap .

Old 04-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Go up to a LRD in the same tire size. Look around the net. More than one manufacturer makes them.
That is the plan as I said before I'm hoping the brand new tires make it this season . Id hate to buy 5 new tires at this time moneys a little tight for us right now . Hopefully they are in good shape when I replace them so we can utilize them on a boat trailer at least .

Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #40
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
It's not who manufactures the tires, it is who is supervising the manufacturing of the tires.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires