Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #41
Too old to be too smart

Another factor in the tire failure equation that I haven't seen mentioned is proper wheel alignment. Yes, axles CAN get out of spec.

Our previous trailer, a Flagstaff 21FB, had two torsion-axles and 13-inch tires. I never noticed it being out of alignment until after a long trip blew one tire after a day-long haul, and left another tire delaminating. A third was wearing hard on the inside of the tread. Turns out, one torsion arm had been bent, and was unable to be brought back into spec, so it was replaced. I never had tire troubles after that.

Did I mention all my tires with problems were Maxxis M8008s, and using a TST-507 TPMS? The strange part is that the pressures, and especially the temperatures, all looked normal until a tire ripped off the septic valves on a remote stretch of Utah highway. Luckily, no one was behind me for at least a couple of miles.

So now it's one more thing to which I pay close attention. This summer our current trailer will get a Dexter EZ-Flex system with all wet bolts, and a VERY-careful inspection using a tape measure and some high-school geometry.

Lesson: Not just high speeds and under-inflation, but scuffing from poor alignment, too, builds heat. Heat leads to premature tire failure, be it Chinese, Thai, or U.S.-made.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #42

I guess the RV'ing gods are smiling on me. My trailer came with Westlake ST226 tires. LR-D Speed rating L (75 MPH). Tires have max weight of 2540 each or 10,160 total. My sticker GVWR is 7642. That translates to tire max load / GVWR of 75.21%.

O happy day!

Just need to make a decision on a TPMS and get them ordered. Currently leaning toward an EEZTIRE T515/SP. I know lots of folks here like the TST solution. The Eeztire solution is just resonating with me. I like the monitor display size and having the control buttons on the face.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
In my opinion, adding TPMS to your trailer is more important than replacing OEM tires. ANY tire can fail...no matter what brand or type it is. The large amounts of RV damage caused by tire failures are almost always due to the driver not realizing soon enough that the tire failed. If you just purchased a new trailer and don't have enough money to buy both new tires and a TPMS, I recommend you buy the TPMS first and closely monitor your tires forever after (even after replacing the OEM).

The way I see it, TPMS is there to prevent damage to the RV. Replacing tires regularly is done to prevent the inconvenience of changing a tire in the middle of a trip...possibly on the roadside. Which one is more important to you?
Thanks GreenImp....Going to go with TPMS first and then tires down the line.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #44

I'm not going to be popular here but I have factory installed Westlake's on the camper and have been happy with them. The camper is a 2013 built in 2012 so yes it is time to replace them.

I have 4 other trailers two rated over 10K gross weight that have China made ST tires for a total of 16 ST China made tires....... No blow outs no flats and they have and will travel all over the mid Atlantic area.

Personally between lack of maintenance, road hazards, and overloading are the main causes of tire failure. Not where they were made. Yes I do believe that the manufacturers put tires and rims on their product that is too close to capacity.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm not going to be popular here but I have factory installed Westlake's on the camper and have been happy with them. The camper is a 2013 built in 2012 so yes it is time to replace them.

I have 4 other trailers two rated over 10K gross weight that have China made ST tires for a total of 16 ST China made tires....... No blow outs no flats and they have and will travel all over the mid Atlantic area.

Personally between lack of maintenance, road hazards, and overloading are the main causes of tire failure. Not where they were made. Yes I do believe that the manufacturers put tires and rims on their product that is too close to capacity.

Same thing with my tow max... I agree with you on your take.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #46

Installed Goodyear Endurance about 4 months ago. Can't report on longevity yet but I really like them thus far. 5th wheel seems to ride smoother and track better. Definitely a much sturdier tire than the Westlakes that were on there. Got a chance to compare both tires side by side when the installer had them off and there's no comparison. The Endurance has an awesome side wall and is a much better built tire! Time will tell but so far I'm feeling good about it. Posted a pic of the new tires on our FB group @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvtalk/
bamabrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires