Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Tires made in China

I have read a lot bad press on trailer tires made in China. Considering replacing my current tires with new Goodyear Endurance 8 ply trailer tires. Anyone purchased these that can offer up feedback on these tires?
Vernon Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Gay View Post
I have read a lot bad press on trailer tires made in China. Considering replacing my current tires with new Goodyear Endurance 8 ply trailer tires. Anyone purchased these that can offer up feedback on these tires?
Not all Chinese tires are made equal or lot's of tires come from china and not all are bombs . most failures are caused by lack of maintaining proper PSI or bad/cheap Valve stems
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

they haven't been around long enough for anyone to give a good review. Hopefully they work out. If you want a proven tire, Maxxis M8008 is a great tire.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

They are new to the market so I doubt you will find many positives. The negative will show up first.

I just put goodyear marathons on last year but I am leaning towards selling them and getting the new endurance tires. I have no reason to promote them other than they do "read" better.

Just not enough history on them yet. Run what you have for a couple of years as I do not think you will have any trouble if you keep them inflated per spec and don't run over any bad stuff with them.

Safe Travels...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Not all Chinese tires are made equal or lot's of tires come from china and not all are bombs .most failures are caused by lack of maintaining proper PSI or bad/cheap Valve stems
So, what tire do you run on your trailer?

And you will never convince me most China ST tire failures are due to user error or valve stems. Seen too many new China ST tires fail that I know were properly maintained. Just a simple Google will tell that there are numerous reports on the lack of quality in China tires causing failures.

To the OP: If you don't want to go to LT tires, go with the proven Maxxis M8008.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Canadian Member

The vast majority of those reports you'll see by Googling it will be anecdotal reports, not a scientific study. However, I have no problem believing that there are some poorly constructed Asian tires - not just Chinese. As I said on another thread, the manufacturer decides how much quality they want to pay for and that's what they get. There's good quality Asian products and poor quality Asian products. There's good quality North American products and poor quality North American products.

I understand that Maxxis M8008 tires are made in Thailand and they have a very good reputation. I put them on my TT last year.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So, what tire do you run on your trailer?

And you will never convince me most China ST tire failures are due to user error or valve stems. Seen too many new China ST tires fail that I know were properly maintained. Just a simple Google will tell that there are numerous reports on the lack of quality in China tires causing failures.

To the OP: If you don't want to go to LT tires, go with the proven Maxxis M8008.
I run Hercules brand even though it's a division of cooper tire i believe there made in china .when it's time for new it'll be more of the same , 16000 miles now no issues . I'm not out to convince you of anything . made a valid statement . many failures are caused by lack of proper inflation and cheap valve stems . i never said ALL !
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the response. Running trailer kings made in China. Talked to guy last week that had a blow out with simular tires made in China. Did $2500 in damage to fender well and side panel.
Thanks again....
Vernon Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Ran the so called "blow max' tow max tires for 15k miles.. No issues until a finish nail in the side wall of one on the last trip. I agree most if not many issues are from tires loaded to the top of their weights, not maintained well and run at or above their intended / rated speeds. Do the same thing on an lt tire, I'd bet a similar outcome (Firestone)

That said, now running gy endurance d ratings.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
i never said ALL !
Neither did I
Old 04-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Gay View Post
Thanks for the response. Running trailer kings made in China. Talked to guy last week that had a blow out with simular tires made in China. Did $2500 in damage to fender well and side panel.
Thanks again....
Don't know whether your tires are factory or not, but here is my group's experience.

Had several friends get new rigs lately. The ones that tried to get a year out of the factory tires (made in China), didn't make it. And yep, it's almost always expensive.

The rest of us figure new tires are part of the price of a new RV. So far we have all either gone with LTs or Maxxis.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
Land of the Midnightsun

I'm sure I'll take some crap but I just gotta say. The Forest River trailer nation truly dominates this forum with problems but the tire complaints are constant. I don't understand why anyone would buy a new rv with junk tires ? And to take it a little further wouldn't junk tires on a new rv pretty much dictate how the rest of the rv will be built? Just me I guess
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #13

IMO the major contributing factors are overloaded and under inflated. Keep these in check and MOST failures will be avoided.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Don't know whether your tires are factory or not, but here is my group's experience.

Had several friends get new rigs lately. The ones that tried to get a year out of the factory tires (made in China), didn't make it. And yep, it's almost always expensive.

The rest of us figure new tires are part of the price of a new RV. So far we have all either gone with LTs or Maxxis.
Hey.....Going to be upgrading my new trailer tires..Castle Rocks 15".. to LT tires...Will be staying with 15" for now, like the look of the new 15" rims ..What brand of LT do your run. Are they 15s or 16 rims...Thanks Dave
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
In my opinion, adding TPMS to your trailer is more important than replacing OEM tires. ANY tire can fail...no matter what brand or type it is. The large amounts of RV damage caused by tire failures are almost always due to the driver not realizing soon enough that the tire failed. If you just purchased a new trailer and don't have enough money to buy both new tires and a TPMS, I recommend you buy the TPMS first and closely monitor your tires forever after (even after replacing the OEM).

The way I see it, TPMS is there to prevent damage to the RV. Replacing tires regularly is done to prevent the inconvenience of changing a tire in the middle of a trip...possibly on the roadside. Which one is more important to you?
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #16

Tires made in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The vast majority of those reports you'll see by Googling it will be anecdotal reports, not a scientific study. However, I have no problem believing that there are some poorly constructed Asian tires - not just Chinese. As I said on another thread, the manufacturer decides how much quality they want to pay for and that's what they get. There's good quality Asian products and poor quality Asian products. There's good quality North American products and poor quality North American products.

I understand that Maxxis M8008 tires are made in Thailand and they have a very good reputation. I put them on my TT last year.

If you think there aren't a problem with ST tires, you aren't paying attention.

It doesn't take a scientific study to see what is right in front of you. Every camper board I go to has people complaining about the same thing.

You don't hear about passenger or truck tires having problems like this... and there are far more of them in service.

I strongly believe ST tires are held and manufacturered to less standards... and are allowed to have a higher rating... not because they are built in any special way, but because they are simply allowed to have a rating that is much closer to its failure rating.

I would bet if LT tires were allowed to be rated the same, their load ratings would probably double.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Homegrown tire makers Goodyear and Cooper are still operating extensive factories in the United States. These two conglomerates also own a number of sub-brands that are marketed as independent, including Dunlop and Kelly Springfield. Even these companies have plants in Asian countries.

The rubber itself in most tires comes from either Brazil or Indonesia.

The thing is it's like saying GM has cars made in Canada or Mexico. I had a 1963 Chevrolet Impala that had a tag on the body stating: "Body By Fisher" "Made In Canada"
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Homegrown tire makers Goodyear and Cooper are still operating extensive factories in the United States. These two conglomerates also own a number of sub-brands that are marketed as independent, including Dunlop and Kelly Springfield. Even these companies have plants in Asian countries.

The rubber itself in most tires comes from either Brazil or Indonesia.

The thing is it's like saying GM has cars made in Canada or Mexico. I had a 1963 Chevrolet Impala that had a tag on the body stating: "Body By Fisher" "Made In Canada"
What a beauty the 1963 Impala was.....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I'm sure I'll take some crap but I just gotta say. The Forest River trailer nation truly dominates this forum with problems but the tire complaints are constant. I don't understand why anyone would buy a new rv with junk tires ? And to take it a little further wouldn't junk tires on a new rv pretty much dictate how the rest of the rv will be built? Just me I guess
FR and other manufactures put the lowest load rated tire they can get away with . most failures IMO are low psi and over loaded tires which the stock tires barely cover the rv unloaded let alone loaded . i blame FR not China
Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
If you think there aren't a problem with ST tires, you aren't paying attention.

It doesn't take a scientific study to see what is right in front of you. Every camper board I go to has people complaining about the same thing.

You don't hear about passenger or truck tires having problems like this... and there are far more of them in service.

I strongly believe ST tires are held and manufacturered to less standards... and are allowed to have a higher rating... not because they are built in any special way, but because they are simply allowed to have a rating that is much closer to its failure rating.

I would bet if LT tires were allowed to be rated the same, their load ratings would probably double.
It's not the ST tire it's the load rating . all tires coming from FR on their units barely have enough load rating to haul the empty trailer let alone a full one . once people change to a higher load rating the blow outs seem to disappear . on my unit they had D load rating and would not carry a fully loaded TH . that's the only reason i changed tires was to up grade to a higher load rating .

Tags
tire, tires