Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer tire. . .lug nut wrench

It has probably been said 1,000 times before but I'll say it again.

Make sure you have a lug nut wrench and/or socket and breaker bar THAT IS THE CORRECT SIZE FOR YOUR LUG NUTS!!

My FIL had a blowout Saturday. No damage or injury. Went to take off the destroyed tire only to find he didn't have the right size lug wrench and his socket set didn't have anything that large.

Cost him over $150 to have a roadside repair company come out to do something he could have easily done if he had the right equipment.

I double checked mine when I got home. Just a friendly reminder to do the same if you haven't in a while, if you've upgraded campers, if you've cleaned out the tool collection in your RV, etc.

Safe travels,
Pete
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Not that easy.

I have been trying to make sure I had the right size socket for my 2004 roo21ss. The lug nuts have a white rubber coating on them. So trying different sizes I came to the conclusion that it is a 1 inch size. but the socket still feels a little loose. Tried a 24mm and it was too tight. Got one more stop to see what I can come up with.

If you go with the flow, you miss too much.
Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Akrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrap View Post
I have been trying to make sure I had the right size socket for my 2004 roo21ss. The lug nuts have a white rubber coating on them. So trying different sizes I came to the conclusion that it is a 1 inch size. but the socket still feels a little loose. Tried a 24mm and it was too tight. Got one more stop to see what I can come up with.

Uhhhh, is there a way you can post a pic here? That just doesn't sound right to me.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

I guess I need to go outside right now and check. I haven't kept a camper long enough to have to pull a wheel (I know...I ought to be checking lug nuts every once in a while). I've got a four way lug wrench I take with me, but I haven't actually checked to see if it will fit.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Uhhhh, is there a way you can post a pic here? That just doesn't sound right to me.
I will post a pic as soon as it stops raining.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
The lug nuts have a white rubber coating on them.
You sure that's a coating and not a cap? I had some on a set of ugly stock wheels on a car years ago that had black ones on top of the plain metal lug nuts. They looked like lug nuts.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Lug nuts and tightness

On the last trip I was on, another TT was parked not far from ours. The owner on the day they were packing up to leave got out and hit all the lugs on his trailer with a impact wrench. I went over and asked him about the process. He was a mechanic in real life and said he always checks them on every trip. Said the Aluminum wheels were really bad for getting loose. So that is what got me looking at the wheels and the lug nuts.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

mine is 3/4 inch.. Just bought a star wrench at tractor supply for $12.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Probably not necessary for EVERY trip. They'll tell you to check aluminum wheels after a few hundred miles of bolting them on and then sometimes you'll hear to do it again a few hundred miles later. I've never had a set on a car that I swear a gorilla hadn't tightened up while I wasn't looking after a few thousand miles.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #10

Lugs with coating or caps?

Not sure if they are caps or not. Have not tried to pop them off. Here is what they look like. You can see where I slid the socket up on the bolts. If they are caps that would make explain everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_RAP0402.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	114521  

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

Lots of White steel wheels have Plastic "Nut Covers" that Must be removed before gaining access to the Real Lug Nut! Most Alum TT wheels lug nut "Co Bore" will NOT allow a 4Way lug wrench to be used! You need to acquire a 1/2" drive 6 point socket that is the Proper size for your unit,and a 4-6" Ext for the 1/2 Drive Breaker Bar and 1/2 Drive "Torque Wrench! PS good Luck prying those "Plastic Nut Caps" Off,they Make a Tool but they Seldom work also! Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Not sure if they are caps or not. Have not tried to pop them off. Here is what they look like. You can see where I slid the socket up on the bolts. If they are caps that would make explain everything.
Those are plastic caps. Pry them off with a screwdriver.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

On my SOB I had a few years back, it had cosmetic plastic caps over the real lugnuts. I had to pop them off with a pair of pliers with tape on the jaws. As for the guy that was a supposed mechanic hammering away with a rattle gun on his lug nuts on aluminum wheels ... he wasn't much of a mechanic. Many of us carry a deep well socket and torque wrench with us on out travels. There's a torque figure reccommended by each manufacturer for their lugnuts ... it's wise to use that figure ... especially on aluminum wheels.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #14

They are caps

Ok now I am feeling a lot dumb. Ha ha I went out and yes they are caps. 3/4 fits the lug nut under the caps. Whoa where has my brain gone.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #15

Thanks for all the comments.

Thank you for all your comments. I do see the this time and time again on this sight. Nice to be able to ask the question no matter how dumb is seems. But get real information back from everyone.

Thank you again.

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
On the last trip I was on, another TT was parked not far from ours. The owner on the day they were packing up to leave got out and hit all the lugs on his trailer with a impact wrench. I went over and asked him about the process. He was a mechanic in real life and said he always checks them on every trip. Said the Aluminum wheels were really bad for getting loose. So that is what got me looking at the wheels and the lug nuts.

IF he hit them with an impact he's not much of a mechanic at least not onei want checking my wheels . always use a torque wrench . set for the correct torque which can be anywhere from 90lbs to 120lbs . an impact wrench is good for taking them off but not for torquing them on . you could bust off a lugs and also over time distort the aluminum
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #17

Akrap,they do make a little plastic chrome cover and beauty ring's that "Fancy Up" white wheels,if you want to Low Cost Pimp it Up! Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Akrap,they do make a little plastic chrome cover and beauty ring's that "Fancy Up" white wheels,if you want to Low Cost Pimp it Up! Youroo!!
Nope all good now. I just never even had these on any rig for the past 40 years so caught me off a bit. LOL

Randy Pugh
Cadillac Escalade
Rockwood Roo 21SS
Moses Lake WA.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Ok now I am feeling a lot dumb. Ha ha I went out and yes they are caps. 3/4 fits the lug nut under the caps. Whoa where has my brain gone.
I'm just now checking back on this thread and see you got it figured out. Good deal, and never feel dumb. The members here are a community, and the community always tries to help each other.

It's like you stated, you had never seen these before, but others may have, thus can share their wisdom. If you had never mentioned this, then you also may not have got it solved, so also please never shy away from asking things. We are here to share wisdom like in why the OP started this thread, as well as gain the same from reading it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Lug Wrench

The Little white caps are just for looks and ? rust protection. Mine are still in the bag they came in. While the big rigs might be different I think you will find that most TT use 3/4 or 13/16 inch lugs on 1/2 inch fine thread studs.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, trailer