Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Truma water heater

Anyone have any advice on propane truma water heater.
Pulled Into Yellowstone National Park and filled my propane tank it was halfway.
Stayed at a park with full hookup The low at night was about 28゚ Park Manger suggested disconnecting the water so that their pipe did not freeze They had a separate heater on it. And the water was ice cold.
Everything was fine until the 1st morning taking a shower the water started out hot and then went to Luke warm and never recovered.
If I shut it off for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on it comes back hot but then immediately goes to lukewarm Again.
I spoke with a representative from the company Any took me through a series of troubleshooting Techniques.
To which neither gave any indication Of a problem for a solution.
The last suggestion he gave me is to have LP service man adj. The regulator to a higher pressure.
I have not done anything yet ..the coach is only 1 year old and never had this problem before.
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,721
How is the propane to your other devices? Does your stove work or your heater?
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenworth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Heater and stove work great no problems...
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
The stove and heater have no problems..
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,661
Is this a tankless heater or a traditional tank heater?


I ask because tankless heaters generally need some adjustment for altitude to work properly. IIRC, Yellowstone varies from 7K to 9K ft altitude. If set for near sea level, the reduced oxygen at altitude creates less heat in the burner. With a tank no issue, the fire runs a little longer to get the water hot. Without a tank, water can't get as warm as fast unless settings are changed.


Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,721
Truma is a tankless water heater. Just for kicks have you shut it off and turn it back on, kind of like a reset. When we have a issue that is what we do. Just thinking out loud.
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenworth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
llamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner58 View Post
Anyone have any advice on propane truma water heater.
Pulled Into Yellowstone National Park and filled my propane tank it was halfway.
Stayed at a park with full hookup The low at night was about 28゚ Park Manger suggested disconnecting the water so that their pipe did not freeze They had a separate heater on it. And the water was ice cold.
Everything was fine until the 1st morning taking a shower the water started out hot and then went to Luke warm and never recovered.
If I shut it off for about 15 seconds and then turn it back on it comes back hot but then immediately goes to lukewarm Again.
I spoke with a representative from the company Any took me through a series of troubleshooting Techniques.
To which neither gave any indication Of a problem for a solution.
The last suggestion he gave me is to have LP service man adj. The regulator to a higher pressure.
I have not done anything yet ..the coach is only 1 year old and never had this problem before.
Overall any tankless hot water system (even with a small recirculation tank) will have a limit of the temperature recovery based on the water source. This is all based on the number of BTUs (60K for the Truma) the device can impart on the water and how fast a flow rate. Unfortunately, I can't find any charts on the Truma for those numbers.

The Yellowstone area has some of the coldest groundwater temps in the US.

So I'd agree that if the unit isn't getting enough gas, you may want to raise the gas pressure. The other thing you can try is to restrict the flow. The later will allow more time in the heat exchanger and thus a greater temperature rise.
__________________
Larry

2021 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG
2016 RAM 3500 DRW
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,721
What setting do you have the control knob set to? Make sure it is not on economy, on the first setting it actually kind of pre-heats the water, that way if it is real cold coming in that helps some.
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenworth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,292
I wouldn’t expect too much out of a tankless water heater that consumes only about 60,000BTUH of gas when the incoming water temperature is as cold as it probably is where you are. I know the RV versions of these water heaters don’t have to meet the same demands of a house where two to three people may be using hot water at the same time, but the residential units I install generally require right around 200,000 BTUH to raise the temperature of the incoming water from ~50 degrees to 120 degrees. After only a year or so of use with hard water, even these residential units can get to the point where they don’t produce water hot enough for just one user. There are so many things to consider when diagnosing why a tankless water heater isn’t working like it did when it was new — even after only one year.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Yes I believe that is the case from what I have heard now in these comments.
The combination of very cold water and higher Altitude are the cause....
I took your advice and turned down the water flow....and amazing hotter water...
Thank you....
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
I agree the water temp. Going in is like 35°F...that's asking alot from the short time that it's in the heat exchanger....
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
What setting do you have the control knob set to? Make sure it is not on economy, on the first setting it actually kind of pre-heats the water, that way if it is real cold coming in that helps some.
I'm on the setting for freeze protection.....
But I have tried the normal settings and it's the same...
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner58 View Post
I'm on the setting for freeze protection.....
But I have tried the normal settings and it's the same...
Ok sound like slowing the flow worked some
__________________
2017 River Stone Legacy 38mb
2001 Kenworth T2000
2008 Smart on deck
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Is this a tankless heater or a traditional tank heater?


I ask because tankless heaters generally need some adjustment for altitude to work properly. IIRC, Yellowstone varies from 7K to 9K ft altitude. If set for near sea level, the reduced oxygen at altitude creates less heat in the burner. With a tank no issue, the fire runs a little longer to get the water hot. Without a tank, water can't get as warm as fast unless settings are changed.


Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Tankless
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Truma is a tankless water heater. Just for kicks have you shut it off and turn it back on, kind of like a reset. When we have a issue that is what we do. Just thinking out loud.
Yes I tried that....Thank you
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
llamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 139
Glad you've been able to resolve the issue. Also good to know the Truma can keep up, but it does have it's limits.
__________________
Larry

2021 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG
2016 RAM 3500 DRW
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 9
Thanks to everyone for all your advice....
I will repost when I get off this mountain....lol
How about that my neighbour is having the same problem.....
Runner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Tom in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Killbuck, Oh
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner58 View Post
I'm on the setting for freeze protection.....
But I have tried the normal settings and it's the same...
The setting for freeze protection only works IF you have installed the optional heated filter assembly.
I installed one on my Isata 5 and it is worth the money!
__________________
Tom in Ohio
2019 Isata 5 30FW
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #19
Site Team
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner58 View Post
Yes I believe that is the case from what I have heard now in these comments.
The combination of very cold water and higher Altitude are the cause....
I took your advice and turned down the water flow....and amazing hotter water...
Thank you....
Thanks for posting the solution for the issue. We're planning on having a Aqua Go installed and heading out west in to the Rockies. Now with any luck I'll have one less "Duh" moment.
__________________
Wayne and Christine
2022 Sunseeker TS2380AFT On Order
2021.5 R-Pod RP-192
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum 4X4
3.5L EcoBoost 400HP with 480 lb.-ft. of Torque
9,200# Heavy Duty Tow Package with 1,524# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.