Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #41

Another possibility is they never cut the bands when the mounted the tires and that piece was just flapping around inside the tire until it fatigued enough to snap. If you still have the pieces check to see if there are cutter marks or if they broken edges instead. If they were cut with side cutters there would be clean angles at the very top and bottom edges. Either way, pure negligence on the installers part, skip a step to get the parts assembled.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #42
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
Don’t you thing all who had this happen send picture and statements to the. NTSB, not just seller?

NTSB gets in the news when a plane or other commercial transportation has an accident but they are not responsible or respond to safety issues with private vehicles.

member NXR is correct

NHTSA is the correct organization to notify.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viasolis View Post
Isn't it amazing that some of us (me included) have driven well of half a million miles in vehicles without TPMS? And even towed 10,000+ miles without it?!! What on earth were we thinking - that we could just make sure tires are inflated properly and their condition roadworthy? Oh, that's right, this latest gadget wasn't invented yet. And yes, TPMS systems DO fail and give false alarms. They create a new expense for you when you change tires or get damaged by incompetent tire techs (who subsequently deny responsibility).

Maybe we should disconnect or tape over the Check Engine light too. What about the Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauge? Even the gas gauge wasn't included with the first cars. Seat belts? Safety Glass? Door side impact bars? Where would you draw the line at wanting a vehicle with none of these safety and information systems.

It has been shown that tire failures can end up killing people.
It is also well documented that loss of air or low pressure can lead to tire failures and that most people do not bother or even know they should check tire pressure.

TPMS "Failures" for aftermarket systems are usually the result of 1. Not changing batteries or 2. Improper programming of TPMS
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I don’t see any problem with Rockwood or TST here. I do see sabotage.

The internal monitor is secured with one continuous metal strap. I assume one would cut of the excess, but that is only one piece. If the TST was installed prior to tire mounting then the cutoff piece would fall on the floor. If the ring was mounted by breaking the bead seal on one side then it’s highly likely the excess part could fall into the tire. That would be carelessness but we’ve come to expect that from the workforce at all FR locations. However, the OP showed there were several pieces removed from the tire(s).

That was definitely not carelessness...it was intentional.

While it is sometimes physically possible to install the internal "band" type it is way easier to "mount" the band and TPMS first then mount the tire. This is what we did when I installed my internal system 10,000 miles ago.

I agree that I see no way for that stainless band to simply fatigue into multiple pieces. Vandalism is my vote.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #45
PhD, Common Sense

I am so glad that Tireman9 posts here.

Great blog, too.

Despite our tires being in visibly great shape and maintaining pressure really well, they are approaching the end of their projected life span (despite having been manufactured in the PRC). When I replace them, probably next spring, I’d love to go with internal sensors on bands. Where do you get ones that will work with my TST 507?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I am so glad that Tireman9 posts here.

Great blog, too.

Despite our tires being in visibly great shape and maintaining pressure really well, they are approaching the end of their projected life span (despite having been manufactured in the PRC). When I replace them, probably next spring, I’d love to go with internal sensors on bands. Where do you get ones that will work with my TST 507?
You can purchase them from TST or any of their distributors like eTrailer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
While it is sometimes physically possible to install the internal "band" type it is way easier to "mount" the band and TPMS first then mount the tire. This is what we did when I installed my internal system 10,000 miles ago.

I agree that I see no way for that stainless band to simply fatigue into multiple pieces. Vandalism is my vote.

Probably an employee who was denied a promotion or pay raise.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #48
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Probably an employee who was denied a promotion or pay raise.
Probably one of those guys wmtire wouldn't hire after failure to show up!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Maybe we should disconnect or tape over the Check Engine light too. What about the Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauge? Even the gas gauge wasn't included with the first cars. Seat belts? Safety Glass? Door side impact bars? Where would you draw the line at wanting a vehicle with none of these safety and information systems.

It has been shown that tire failures can end up killing people.
It is also well documented that loss of air or low pressure can lead to tire failures and that most people do not bother or even know they should check tire pressure.

TPMS "Failures" for aftermarket systems are usually the result of 1. Not changing batteries or 2. Improper programming of TPMS
Good One
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Probably one of those guys wmtire wouldn't hire after failure to show up!
Rofl[emoji1]

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #51

TST TPMS

We bought a Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS with a TST TPMS system with monitor and internal sensors in January. We didn't get to use it until May because of weather and Covid. On our first trip we had no problems with the TPMS. On our second trip near the end of a 500 mile ride we had two high pressure alerts. The first time we pulled over quickly and the tire pressure reading returned to normal. The second time resulted in the same thing. On the way home it must have false alarmed 15 to 20 times. When we got home I took the tires off the TT and realized that there was something loose in one of the tires. I took it to a nearby tire shop and after they dismounted the tire discovered that the stainless steel band that secures the sensor to the rim was broken into numerous pieces. I called TST and they shipped us a new sensor which we got the next day. Since then we have put approx 4000 miles on the TT without any more false alarms from the TPMS. I had a tire blowout on a TT I had back in the 90's. It did more damage than the price of a TPMS system but I don't remember them being available back then.
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestdriver View Post
We bought a Flagstaff E-Pro 19FBS with a TST TPMS system with monitor and internal sensors in January. We didn't get to use it until May because of weather and Covid. On our first trip we had no problems with the TPMS. On our second trip near the end of a 500 mile ride we had two high pressure alerts. The first time we pulled over quickly and the tire pressure reading returned to normal. The second time resulted in the same thing. On the way home it must have false alarmed 15 to 20 times. When we got home I took the tires off the TT and realized that there was something loose in one of the tires. I took it to a nearby tire shop and after they dismounted the tire discovered that the stainless steel band that secures the sensor to the rim was broken into numerous pieces. I called TST and they shipped us a new sensor which we got the next day. Since then we have put approx 4000 miles on the TT without any more false alarms from the TPMS. I had a tire blowout on a TT I had back in the 90's. It did more damage than the price of a TPMS system but I don't remember them being available back then.

What is your cold inflation pressure?
What is your high pressure warning level set at?
Size & Load Range of tire?
Measured load on the tires?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #53

Quote:

I agree 100 % ,anyone who has ever cut a SS hose clamp knows the effort required! Also excess band length would be cut off just 1 time,this was a deliberate "Toss it inside the tire trick"! Youroo! !
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #54

Quote:
What is your cold inflation pressure?
What is your high pressure warning level set at?
Size & Load Range of tire?
Measured load on the tires?

When we purchased the TT it had Westlake ST235/75R15 tires Load range D and the cold tire pressure was 50psi and the high pressure warning level was set 25% higher. We have replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 tires. Load range E. I am inflating them to 55 psi cold and setting the high pressure warning level 25% higher. We have never actually weighed the TT. The empty weight shown on the door jamb is 3250 lbs. I don't know what the measured load on the tires is.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
When we purchased the TT it had Westlake ST235/75R15 tires Load range D and the cold tire pressure was 50psi and the high pressure warning level was set 25% higher. We have replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance ST225/75R15 tires. Load range E. I am inflating them to 55 psi cold and setting the high pressure warning level 25% higher. We have never actually weighed the TT. The empty weight shown on the door jamb is 3250 lbs. I don't know what the measured load on the tires is.

Well some info raises questions.
If the TT Certification sticker shows 50 psi does it also show ST235/75R15 LR-D? LR-D normally means 65 psi inflation.
You went to LR-E which means you could increase inflation to 80 if you needed the tire load capacity increased but running them at 55 means you only get the load capacity of 55 psi shown in the GY Load tables.

If the TPMS high pressure warning is set to 68 and you are setting it off then the tires are running hotter than expected. This could be due to wither running overloaded or too fast or your hand gauge is wrong.

You still should run across a truck scale to learn the actual loads you are putting on your tires.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #56

The TPMS high pressure warning was caused by a faulty sensor. The stainless steel band that secured the sensor to the rim had broken and was causing the sensor to send faulty readings. Since the new sensor was installed there have been no high pressure warnings.

The Westlake info on the tires and the certification sticker on the TT says 50 psi maximum pressure.

Here is a link to the Goodyear Endurance Load/Inflation info:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Based on the table I could probably run them with less than 55 PSI.

I drive between 60 and 65 mph when towing the TT.

The sensors show the same pressure as my gauge when the tires are cold.

I plan to weigh the TT at some CAT scales when we go out again at the end of November.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
The TPMS high pressure warning was caused by a faulty sensor. The stainless steel band that secured the sensor to the rim had broken and was causing the sensor to send faulty readings. Since the new sensor was installed there have been no high pressure warnings.

The Westlake info on the tires and the certification sticker on the TT says 50 psi maximum pressure.

Here is a link to the Goodyear Endurance Load/Inflation info:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Based on the table I could probably run them with less than 55 PSI.
I drive between 60 and 65 mph when towing the TT.
The sensors show the same pressure as my gauge when the tires are cold.I plan to weigh the TT at some CAT scales when we go out again at the end of November.
If the tire and certification sticker said 50 psi they probably also said Load Range C not LR-D.

I think it has also been established that the SS band did not fail or break on it's own so the statement about TST TPMS being a "Hazard" might be bit of an exaggeration.
So your GY Endurance tires are LR-E which means they can be inflated to 80 psi cold but since you do not need that load capacity you will probably be happier with an inflation in the 60 psi range.

Do I have this summation basically correct?
Old 11-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #58

We have TPMS on our car but not on our TT - yet. I believe that the TPMS on our car tires is attached to the valve stem inside the rim. I've never broke down the tire to look but the tire store has illustrations of TPMS like this to show what's done for TPMS battery replacement. Is the band style unique to RV's or am I just wrong on the devices in our car?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
We have TPMS on our car but not on our TT - yet. I believe that the TPMS on our car tires is attached to the valve stem inside the rim. I've never broke down the tire to look but the tire store has illustrations of TPMS like this to show what's done for TPMS battery replacement. Is the band style unique to RV's or am I just wrong on the devices in our car?
If your TPMS came stock in the car it is not attached to your valve stem. I have never seen that. I have had TPMS system on my vehicles since 2000. Of course I have been wrong once this year already lol
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #60

I personally do not see how those clamp pieces could cause any damage to the inside of the tire. They should not have been left inside though. The warning in the installation instructions does say to leave a 3" excess and not allow it to bend up to avoid damage to the mounting bead. The OP's install was not done per the instructions.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms