Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
If your TPMS came stock in the car it is not attached to your valve stem. I have never seen that. I have had TPMS system on my vehicles since 2000. Of course I have been wrong once this year already lol
My car came stock and the TPMS sensor is the valve stem.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Quote:
If your TPMS came stock in the car it is not attached to your valve stem. I have never seen that. I have had TPMS system on my vehicles since 2000. Of course I have been wrong once this year already lol

I started working with OE TPMS in 2001 and saw systems from GM, MB, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Ford, Subaru, Nummi, and Mazda. All of them had the tpm sensor as part of the valve assembly. None of them had replaceable batteries as the battery was sealed into the valve/sensor part.

In '08 after retiring I purchased an aftermarket TPM from Hella but it was a Passenger unit and didn't work at the pressures I needed in my Class-C. I bought a TireTraker system in '09 and "never looked back" I mark the date on the batteries when I install them and find that most last for 2 years. Other than a battery dying I have had no problems. I do carry a couple spare batteries so if/when I get a lost signal report I can quickly change the battery at the next stop.
The monitor TireTraker now sells comes with lifetime warranty and I feel the cost of batteries is "pocket change" when it comes to normal maintenance. I did transfer my system to my new coach in '16 and the Traker is still working fine.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #63

No Sensor

[QUOTE=Tireman9;2447344]I started working with OE TPMS in 2001 and saw systems from GM, MB, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Ford, Subaru, Nummi, and Mazda. All of them had the tpm sensor as part of the valve assembly. None of them had replaceable batteries as the battery was sealed into the valve/sensor part.

My '09 VW has sensors in the valve assembly as well. I replaced them last year because the batteries died. Interestingly, I got a low tire warning on my '19 VW and it showed which tire, but not the pressure. I was looking at the tire while at the tire shop and couldn't find the sensor. I was told that there was no sensor, that the anti lock brake system computer could tell when a tire was rolling at a different rate than it should and it controlled the warning light. I suspect it measures rolling resistance rather than rate, but that is what I was told. Anyway, the tire has no sensor at all.
mharrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #64
Commercial Member

[QUOTE=mharrel;2447352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I started working with OE TPMS in 2001 and saw systems from GM, MB, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Ford, Subaru, Nummi, and Mazda. All of them had the tpm sensor as part of the valve assembly. None of them had replaceable batteries as the battery was sealed into the valve/sensor part.

My '09 VW has sensors in the valve assembly as well. I replaced them last year because the batteries died. Interestingly, I got a low tire warning on my '19 VW and it showed which tire, but not the pressure. I was looking at the tire while at the tire shop and couldn't find the sensor. I was told that there was no sensor, that the anti lock brake system computer could tell when a tire was rolling at a different rate than it should and it controlled the warning light. I suspect it measures rolling resistance rather than rate, but that is what I was told. Anyway, the tire has no sensor at all.

Yes I was only talking about "Active" systems that actually measure tire pressure. Some car companies like VW had "passive" systems that used the ABS sensor and computer logic to compare RPM of tires. The assumption was that both tires on an axle would not lose air at the same time.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 11-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #65

[QUOTE=mharrel;2447352]
Quote:

No, I think 'rate' is correct. A tire of a given diameter is going to be rotating at a known RPM at any given speed. If the tire loses air, its diameter gets smaller and has to rotate faster to keep up with the other 3. Since there is already a sensor at each wheel monitoring its rotation (so the computer can tell if one locked up), it would be simple to compare each wheel to the others and display an alert if one is x% faster than the others.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Stock Ford TPMS

Been in use for at least 10 years. Some earlier ones were the strap on ones, but many of them have switched over to the stem types, much easier to replace if needed, just need to break on bead to get to them.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Yup, that looks similar to what I saw at the tire store. Thanks! FWIW, they want almost as much to replace the batteries/sensor as the tire costs!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Stock Ford TPMS

Been in use for at least 10 years. Some earlier ones were the strap on ones, but many of them have switched over to the stem types, much easier to replace if needed, just need to break on bead to get to them.

One main reason for this type of TPMS rather than the stem mounted bolt on seen on most cars in 2000 - 2015. I think GM was the first but may be mistaken on that.
This style can be installed by a simple "robot" at the mounting facility similar to the way old fashioned "Snap-in" TR413 rubber stems were mounted.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #69

Mine too!

My TST tire monitor on a recent trip was showing one tire on my E-Pro was running about 25-30 degrees hotter than the other. I had a local tire dealer rotate and balance the tires. In the process, he found that both TST bands were broken. One tire had the sensor and band just laying in the tire. The other had failed at the edge of the sensor and there were about seven two to six inch long pieces of stainless steel band in the tire rolling around! The trailer dealership is in the process of contacting TST to see if this is a recurring problem. The sensors were installed at the factory around August 2020, but the problem did not surface until today (June 14, 2022). Uncertain at this time as to what is going on with these factory installed tires, but the mechanical failure of the sensors is very troubling. This occurred on both tires. By the way, both sensors were still working--just rolling around inside the tire--but a serious safety issue.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
My TST tire monitor on a recent trip was showing one tire on my E-Pro was running about 25-30 degrees hotter than the other. I had a local tire dealer rotate and balance the tires. In the process, he found that both TST bands were broken. One tire had the sensor and band just laying in the tire. The other had failed at the edge of the sensor and there were about seven two to six inch long pieces of stainless steel band in the tire rolling around! The trailer dealership is in the process of contacting TST to see if this is a recurring problem. The sensors were installed at the factory around August 2020, but the problem did not surface until today (June 14, 2022). Uncertain at this time as to what is going on with these factory installed tires, but the mechanical failure of the sensors is very troubling. This occurred on both tires. By the way, both sensors were still working--just rolling around inside the tire--but a serious safety issue.

While I can not address the "Factory" installation I can tell you that I have been running the TST internal system for 4 years with zero problems. I worked with the tire mounter and I installed the bands on my 6 wheels and he mounted and checked the balance on the 6 assemblies.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #71

We have the TST internal sensors on our TT. The monitor shows one of the tires running 12-15 degrees hotter than the other one. When I check the temperatures of the hubs and tires with a infrared temperature gun the tires are the same temperature.
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post
Same here...one tire was running hot, but the pressure was not increasing more than the others. Took the wheel off to check bearings and could hear rattling inside the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220516_112112.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	274906  
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #73

TST Internal TPMS sensors HAZARD!!

Thanks for the responses to my concern. I will likely have the dealer install new sensors as they are still under the TST warranty of three years. Hopefully, this will not occur again if installed properly. Still perplexed as to how the stainless steel band could end up in six to eight pieces inside of the tire. Breaking is understandable although not acceptable, but there has to more to the story as to how the stainless steel band broke into multiple pieces inside the tire. Still following up with Flagstaff and others.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:51 PM   #74
NXR

Found a previous post on this: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rd-218209.html

Brian's post: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2430255

Hey, it's this thread. An old thread was re-opened but I did not notice.

I'm going to call it as warranty.

Ray
Old 06-14-2022, 07:20 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestdriver View Post
We have the TST internal sensors on our TT. The monitor shows one of the tires running 12-15 degrees hotter than the other one. When I check the temperatures of the hubs and tires with a infrared temperature gun the tires are the same temperature.

What are the readings late at night when everything is at ambient? In my comparison of 12 sensors Set A 4 readings of 66 F, one each of 64 and 68F
Set B 4 readings of 69 F and 2 readings of 68

Do you have truck scale weight readings for each tire position? Is the Hot tire one of a set of duals? Is the hot tire near to the exhaust system?
Old 06-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #76

Quote:
What are the readings late at night when everything is at ambient? In my comparison of 12 sensors Set A 4 readings of 66 F, one each of 64 and 68F
Set B 4 readings of 69 F and 2 readings of 68

Do you have truck scale weight readings for each tire position? Is the Hot tire one of a set of duals? Is the hot tire near to the exhaust system?

Mine is a 19’ E-Pro single axle trailer. Both sensors read the same temperatures and pressures when the trailer is parked and for the first year they both read nearly the same on the road. I think the higher temperature was created by the fact that when the tire sensor straps broke, one sensor was loose inside the tire, so when driving at highway speeds it was likely against the tire and giving more of a tire temperature rather than air temperature in the tire. The sensor on the other tire was still attached to the broken strap. Good point about the vehicle exhaust pipe which was on the same side as the hotter tire. My main concern is that the straps both broke and could have caused damage inside the tire. I have not checked the weight on each tire, but will do so, and hopefully the sensor straps will not fail again once they are replaced.

Tags
tpms