Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

TST Internal TPMS sensors HAZARD!!

I wanted to bring something to everyone's attention that has the internal tire sensors, I just purchased a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614BS this past Saturday, took it yesterday to get the tires balanced for a long trip I plan of taking in the near future, when the tech started to balance the first tire, the tech could hear something moving inside the tire, so I asked him to take the tire off and see what it was.

As you can see from the photos, there were several large and small pieces of stainless steel clamp material inside the tire, eating away from the tire inside out, the SS came from the TST Truck Tire Pressure Monitoring system, our first thought was that someone from the factory was just tossing the scraps from the clamps in the tire but after further investigation, it appears that the access of the clamp, there was approximately 7.5”'s of scrap in each tire. This is coming from the factory like this!!

The TST inside the tire system clearly states that the access needs to be removed to prevent tire damage.

This is definitely a life safety hazard that I thought that Rockwood and everyone who owns one should know about tis. I got lucky and caught it when I got my tires balanced. I cannot image ow many units are on the road with t his hazard inside their tires.

get your tires checked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201006_162814.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	240713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201006_162817.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	240714   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201006_173631.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	240715   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201007_133612.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	240716   Click image for larger version

Name:	TST.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	240717  

Haxsaw1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

WOW!... chalk up another "You wouldn't believe it unless you see it" factory blunder!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

I wonder if Rockwood recieves
The tires/rims/tmps.as an assembly from a vender.so not their fault.kinda like the a/c ,water heater, furnace ,axles, fridge,frame,hitch,kingpin,doors, windows.Ect They assemble componants to make the rv.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
D W

Well, well. Seeing as how the band is mounted and trimmed before the tire is mounted I would say that someone whom we'll refer to as an idiot, purposely threw these pieces inside the tire during mounting.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

Very sad, you can’t get anything installed correctly anymore.
There should be a recall, imagine thousands of tiny cuts inside your tire from the corners of all the cut scraps. Everyone should get new tires also.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
I wonder if Rockwood recieves
The tires/rims/tmps.as an assembly from a vender.so not their fault.kinda like the a/c ,water heater, furnace ,axles, fridge,frame,hitch,kingpin,doors, windows.Ect They assemble componants to make the rv.
Oh, I'm sure they do get them assembled and likely mounted to the frame assembly.

But... ultimately, they (the factory) are responsible for the entire end product during the factory warranty period no matter the parts used to assemble it.

If they get something from an outside supplier, and don't do due diligence as to the integrity of said product before using it for manufacturing, shame on them.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm trying to envision how this could happen. What comes to mind, is that these bands are being installed after the tire has already been mounted to the rim. They may just be breaking the top bead loose and then pushing that tire sidewall down, to be able to install the band. Then any trimmed pieces are being allowed to just fall back into the tire. They then just air up the tire and pop that one bead back up.

If the band was installed while the wheel was blank, then there should be no pieces to be able to work themselves into the tire.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm trying to envision how this could happen. What comes to mind, is that these bands are being installed after the tire has already been mounted to the rim. They may just be breaking the top bead loose and then pushing that tire sidewall down, to be able to install the band. Then any trimmed pieces are being allowed to just fall back into the tire. They then just air up the tire and pop that one bead back up.

If the band was installed while the wheel was blank, then there should be no pieces to be able to work themselves into the tire.
I agree with your assessment. I am going to go further and guess that whoever is installing the TPMS sensors as you described is not a tire professional, just someone that was taught how to use a tire changer and install the sensors.

I've met some people like that and a few of them, when you added their shoe size, hat size, and belt length, it exceeded their IQ.

Might have been better if they hadn't cut off the excess. At least it wouldn't be scraping the inner liner unless tire was way underinflated.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I agree with your assessment. I am going to go further and guess that whoever is installing the TPMS sensors as you described is not a tire professional, just someone that was taught how to use a tire changer and install the sensors.

I've met some people like that and a few of them, when you added their shoe size, hat size, and belt length, it exceeded their IQ.

Might have been better if they hadn't cut off the excess. At least it wouldn't be scraping the inner liner unless tire was way underinflated.
I agree with both of these assesments...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Cummins Retired

Had same thing happen this year. Bought new Rockwood 2650WS in January. Before 1st long trip (4,500mi) had the China bombs(Castle Rock) tires changed out to Goodyear Endurance. When switching them, the technician brought a tire out for me to look at and it was the same as what you have. Pieces of the hose clamp type material that had held the TPMS sensor in place. Had only driven the camper 500 miles. Not a good situation. Thought it was just coincidence, but it doesn't sound like it now.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

Rockwood should be notified in writing of this situation so they can fix it. First a phone call to get the correct address and contact individual, and so they know right away. If I were involved, I'd ask them to let me know how the situation is resolved.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #12

TOMS scrap in tire

Don’t you thing all who had this happen send picture and statements to the. NTSB, not just seller?
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
NXR

NHTSA and it's done right here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Even Forest River's paperwork says to notify the NHTSA of safety issues. Oddly, FR does not also provide a contact to report the issues directly to them.

RAy
Old 10-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #14

Are TPMS really worth it anyway?

I'm not a Luddite or anti-tech by any means, but is TPMS technology really worth the trouble? In my experience they often alert falsely, or cause other problems, including during tire changes. Why not just inspect tires visually and check inflation before every trip?
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyWhy View Post
I'm not a Luddite or anti-tech by any means, but is TPMS technology really worth the trouble? In my experience they often alert falsely, or cause other problems, including during tire changes. Why not just inspect tires visually and check inflation before every trip?
Simple, the expense, hassle, degradation of safety, and the potential damage of an on-the-road failure.

If you're towing a car and the car gets a flat you just bought at least one tire because you probably won't even know it went flat. You might even be buying a rim.

If one of a dual pair goes low or goes flat you may not even notice. But the remaining tire on that side is now supporting twice the weight it was and almost assuredly well over its design limit. If you keep driving on it at high speed it, too, will eventually fail. Either on that trip or a future one because it was so far over-stressed.

If a steering tire starts to lose air while driving you may be able to get pulled over before the tire gets too low or blows out. You also could lose control of the motorhome if it goes completely flat.

If a tire blows out you could damage a lot of structure and wiring. Sometimes the tire comes through the floor.

Why "tire changes"? Are you talking about car systems where some require auto manufacturers require you to use a special tool to relearn the system?

I've never had a false alarm, on a car or a motorhome, yet.

Ray
Old 10-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
In my many different TPMS's, I've never had a false alert when programmed correctly. I can't say I've had any 'trouble' having tires changed with internal sensors either.

Sure you can check pressures and do a visual inspection before leaving but by what means are you checking pressures and temperatures as you are going down the road.

The percentage of tire problems that happen/have been caught sitting still are small compared to the issues generated when traveling.

TPMS is a good thing.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
TPMS is the first upgrade I made to my first trailer and this new one. I recommend this to everyone that will listen.

Why? Every tire has the possibility of failing while driving. China bombs or Goodyear Endurance. By the time someone blows the horn at you at points to your trailer it is too late. You have thousands of $ of damage to your trailer.

Your mileage may vary.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm not a Luddite or anti-tech by any means, but is TPMS technology really worth the trouble?
YES it is worth it... Apparently you have never had a flat tire on a trailer before... More often than not it is nice to have just a small amount of advance notice BEFORE it happens.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Many underinflated/flat tires occur AFTER you leave for the day of travel and not always left over from previous days.

You check he tire pressure before starting the day, adjust as necessary, and as you are leaving you pick up a nail. A TPMS will tell you when you have lost air pressure. Your checking the tires earlier didn't help a bit.

TPMS is even more important with trailers than on the tow vehicle where they are mandated by law. With a tow vehicle you usually can feel when a tire is going down. With a trailer you don't know unless you look in the mirror and see chunks flying up behind the trailer or someone honks and points back at your trailer. At that point you are going to need a new tire with no chance of a simple patch/repair.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
TRD

Sometimes you don't have a choice...Some new Rockwood and Flagstaff TT's include the TPMS system and internal sensors at no cost. Standard equipment.
2018-12 days/2019-83 days/2020-12
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms