Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Tv loses signal

Would like to know if anyone has had a problem with their tv going out while on air antenna and booster after you put on a light, microwave ,or bathroom fan. We have a 2013 rockwood 8280 fifth wheel and have this problem when camping when cable TV is not available. Any ideas to solve this problem would be appreciated.
lennyluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Possible bad connection in wall plug behind tv? Run an extention cord to another outlet and try
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Did not try that . The tv picture goes out, tv power does not go out. We get a weak signal reading on TV when picture goes out. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Left Coast

On shore power?
Old 12-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Left Coast

On this one, found all kinds of loose coax cable connections....check behind booster switch and tv
Old 12-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Left Coast

1 more thing....have had trouble with a 90 degree coax coupler on back of tv, and had a couple bad connectors on coax
Old 12-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Left Coast

I think out trailers are the same. On mine, there's a picture frame look'n cable that attachs to tv and has a screw in one end that is barily hidden by bottom of tv.....keeps it from jump'n off wall when travel'n....Then, grasp the bottom of tv and push up on both sides...sometimed you might have to add a palm tap to the bottom, and a little wiggl'n
Old 12-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Left Coast

32" tv?
Old 12-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #9

3w inch tv on shore power. My 12 volt battery is brand new
Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #10
Left Coast

I'm assum'n they stayed with the same size and mount. This one has 3 tabs that grab the wall part...2 at top, 1 each side, and a longer one at the bottom. Original tv was a Toshiba, kind'a heavy, now using Samsung....lighter. Try tight'n the connections, but there is a splitter in the cable behind ant booster that is difficult to reach...I had to use cable as a handle to drag it down...it's between inner and outer walls of cabinet
Old 12-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #11

I was able to get to reach the booster and splitter and remove them from the wall. All connections seemed tight
Old 12-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Left Coast

With TV on, see if by wiggl'n coax(s), anything changes....But, I'm still leaning toward receptical problem.....If you have a long enough extension cord, substitute power to tv to pedistal
Old 12-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #13

Is the light an LED fixture? If f so the problem may be RF interference which is entering the antennae amp, the splitter or the TV itself any of which are not grounded properly. My next call would be to a television repair shop for some free advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #14

I will try your suggestions. The lights are all LED in trailer.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #15

On our Windjammer the bedroom TV will go blank if the overhead light nearest the TV is on. I have read that it is the cheap LED light fixtures interfering with the TV signal.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
Site Team

Yes as Vince and Windjammin have pointed out, it is a known issue that some LED bulbs can cause interference with radio and television signals. But microwave and bathroom fan aren't usually a culprit unless something else may be wrong (or you have the led lights on at the same time). We have many documented cases and threads here with such on the bulbs. I'll edit this post with some after a search.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post870113

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #17

FYI, most people are not aware that digital tv signals are broadcast at a much lower power than the old analog signals. They are affected more by wind and the distance you are from the actual broadcast towers.

I use an antenna from Spectrum Antenna, they can be found online and they have a large selection of antennas. the one I use when camping is a directional antenna and can pick up stations as far away as 150 miles.

Go to antennaweb.org and follow the directions. You need to know the zip code of where you will be and it will tell you the stations, compass heading and miles from the broadcast antenna. I would advise to print out all the documentation for each location that you intend to camp at. We camp at 20 of our favorite places and I have all of them in plastic sheet protectors in the trailer. Makes my viewing more enjoyable.
Silverado LT Crew Cab 6.0L V8 W/3:73
2023 Rockwood Surveyer Legend 19MDBLE;
Chunky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #18

With the digital tv antenna you have to be right on, if your antenna is a little off you get nothing. I think there should be a special place in hell for that someone that thought this all up. All it was to sell more signals for cell phones

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #19

Every camper I have owned had issues with loose cable connection.
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote