RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #81

It can also cycle because the some of the air in the gap at the top of the water heater has been absorbed into the water. Not as likely as a leak, or checkvalve back-leakage, but possible.

Most likely if you don't use hot water for an extended period of time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #82

Repair parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richminaya View Post
Hi. Newbie here. I'll try to get right to the points. I had become ill for a spell and sadly fell well behind with ability to use.

2013 Palamino Solaire 28 ... bought as 2nd owner, quickly noticed floor mushy. Caveat Emptor. No relief from the place I purchased it from .. finally took it to the factory in Colon, Mi and was given an astronomical price to fix as per factory specs.

No only did the floor have issues, water had got in and the roof is crunchy in the area of one skylight and the slideout (about 3 X 4 foot) and they said even the wall had water.

Fast forward, reading a lot, local repair fellow who fixes and sells mostly says it is not a lost cause ... we can put OSB down on the floor ... I have resealed the roof with DICOR self leveling adhesive and it is out in a light rain tonight. First time it has been out of a dry barn in about 2 years so we'll see in the morning.

I'd like any feedback, of course. For right now until I can get with this fellow, I'm trying to focus on the electric as I have a lot going on there.

Forgive, plz, if I don't have terminology down. I can see a learning curve. I do not have the funds to junk this otherwise barely used (5 times from 2015 through 2018) and try to start anew. And now with an economic ? crash, we are all a bit nervous. This RV (or an RV) is now going to be a major part of my lifestyle going forward due to change of priorities in life.

Electrical. I'm hoping somebody here sees some parallels that can save time if the problem eminates from one area. So here we go.

All AC circuit breakers work fine. I tested all outlets and according to tester, there are no issues.

On the DC side of things:

All lights work in and out.

First (and I can't remember) there are 2 spots on the fusebox for 40 amp reverse battery (?). Every time I try to drop a new fuse, it blows (on both spots). Hell, it melts the electric fuse prongs.

The panel where you check battery, black, gray - no longer lights up

The switch to the fuel pump no longer lights or turns on

There is no power indicated at the thermostat

The water heater switch does not light.

The fuse to the entertainment center blows either at the box or at the rear of the entertainment center; I pulled it and found a hidden fuse there, replaced it and heard the other one snap back at the fusebox.

The outside fridge (outside kitchen) does work. It is a/c only. But the inside no longer has any lights. I checked the back side and the main fuses on the circuit board are not blow. But I have read there may be more inline somewhere. There is A/C working to this fridge, but we've got a d/c problem it seems. I have gotten past looking at the circuit board fuses as something tells me there may be something larger affecting all these things.

I do not see any of the red lights lighting at the fuse box (is this called the distribution center? I'm learning slowly .........) Should a red light come on when say the entertainment center circuit blows?

This RV is everything I wanted, but left unattended (I had cancer .. it's gone!) I have a lot going on. The factory repair guys basically ruined my week telling me it was not worth the repair, but after reading a lot, watching some YouTube vids and talking with a few repair guys, they say - not so fast.

Is this thing going to be unsafe traveling down the road? Definitely have to repair the inside of the ceiling where the roof is crunchy, but tech man says he's seen it and can make it work.

I can live with osb and a retile. I looked at some vids on injection repair which looked awesome, but I'm afraid there are quite a few soft spots (Thank you Forest River!!!)

I am in the Lansing Michigan area and it would be REALLY awesome to get a guy who really knows his electrical. My background includes basic knowledge (I wired a house) and I have soldered and built many recording studios.

I want to get this done ASAP - for a lot of reasons. This has become a priority. Am I taking on too much?

If you're still with me reading this, what comes to mind re: electrical? Is there a main distribution point from the battery ... or a possible ground problem?

God bless you for taking the time. I'm nervous and want to be road ready. And I have loved the outdoors, camping and rv (later) all my life!!

Rich Minaya Thank you so much again. Trying to stay optimistic.
Since you live in Lansing, there is a place in White Pigeon where you can purchase all your supplies needed to repair your RV. Its east of 131 on highway 12 called Bontrager's Surplus store and they have all kinds of RV and Mobile home stuff really cheap compared to what dealers want. I purchased a 8X12ft sheet of Filon fiberglass there to repair a motorhome front bunk area for less than 1/2 what dealers want in my area (Muskegon and Grand Rapids)
kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #83

x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The two places on the power distribution center where the 40a fuses plug in are the reverse polarity protection fuses for the converter to the battery.

Those fuses protect the converter and the battery wiring should someone connect the battery cables backwards.

That is where I'd start looking for an issue.
Did you replace the battery(ies)?
After sitting for two years. I'd imagine so.

It could be possible you have the battery wires connected improperly. It is an easy mistake made by many as black is often the hot (positive) and white is ground (negative) in the R/V world on the DC battery side of things.

The other possibility is if you have no battery connected, it could be the positive wire is laying loose, touching the frame (or metal something) and shorting out, thereby blowing the fuse.

And yes. you could have water damage to some other part of the DC wiring but let us know what you have as far as at the battery/wires/connections and we can proceed further.
Good call picker, beat me to it, again. First place to look in this situation. You helped this guy a bunch. Thanks

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Concourshttps://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, floor, palomino