Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #1

Under trailer waterproof fabric damage

I had a tire blow out and when it did it tore some insulation and a section of the black fabric out as well. I am assuming (see enclosed photos) that the black fabric is supposed to be a protecting layer, the middle layer feels like a very thin garbage bag (assuming it is supposed to be a waterproof layer and the metallic layer assists the insulation.

Any good tips on how to best repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerDamage1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	278094  
RVinRsbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:49 PM   #2

Clean the area good with soap and water. Apply good coat of spray adhesive. Use 6" wide flexseal tape.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Clean and flatten what's there.
Use black Eternabond tape or most big box and good hardware stores sell flashing tape that when applied correctly will pull off wood when trying to pull off.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Clean and flatten what's there.
Use black Eternabond tape or most big box and good hardware stores sell flashing tape that when applied correctly will pull off wood when trying to pull off.
I like his idea!!! Wish I would have thought of it first. Lol
Old 08-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #5

I have similar problem that I temp fixed by spraying on rubber undercoating. It seem to be working but I’m not happy with it.
I’m thinking of getting some aluminum sheeting and cutting it slightly larger then the damage. Use a strong adhesive and some stainless steel screws to secure it. Then spray it with the same rubber undercoating. I think that will fix that much better then that fabric that is used.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
I’m thinking of getting some aluminum sheeting and cutting it slightly larger then the damage. Use a strong adhesive and some stainless steel screws to secure it. Then spray it with the same rubber undercoating. I think that will fix that much better then that fabric that is used.
That might look good, but think what might happen if you have another flat tire and that aluminum sheeting comes off. We've had friends that had blowouts where the tire took out the entire black and grey water tanks. Just thinking of the damage aluminum sheeting and screws would do....
Not many people are going to get under your rig to inspect the undercoat. You just need something that's going to keep the water out and perhaps do a little insulation.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That might look good, but think what might happen if you have another flat tire and that aluminum sheeting comes off. We've had friends that had blowouts where the tire took out the entire black and grey water tanks. Just thinking of the damage aluminum sheeting and screws would do....
Not many people are going to get under your rig to inspect the undercoat. You just need something that's going to keep the water out and perhaps do a little insulation.
I was thinking that too. Maybe fill in the gap from the material to the floor with blue board or Styrofoam so you have a filler to push against. Then put your eternal bond tape on. You could even use a floor jack an a board to apply even pressure to the patch area overnight.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:35 PM   #8

Personally I’d get some mobile home underbelly fabric and seal up the damage then place the proper width of roll flashing over the fabric from the front tire to beyond the rear tire and hold it with stainless screws. The flashing edges should probably be sealed also. The flashing will minimize any future damage from a blowout.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #9

I agree, with Simihal. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mobile+ho...f=nb_sb_noss_1
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
Personally I’d get some mobile home underbelly fabric and seal up the damage then place the proper width of roll flashing over the fabric from the front tire to beyond the rear tire and hold it with stainless screws. The flashing edges should probably be sealed also. The flashing will minimize any future damage from a blowout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
That stuff works OK in a dry environment (like a modular home underbelly) but it won't stay stuck when driving down the road in a rain storm. Been there done that.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post

That was my thinking when I thought of adding the rolled aluminum flashing. It would or should make that wheel well stronger to resist damage. But I prefer your suggestion to cover the front to back completely.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That stuff works OK in a dry environment (like a modular home underbelly) but it won't stay stuck when driving down the road in a rain storm. Been there done that.

I did not use it because I did not have any. But I did use black gorilla tape, clean the surface with alcohol, than I would finish the edges with black silicone to hold down the ends. That seemed to hold up for me patching factory (mouse) holes.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, trailer, water