Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

URGENT! Pop-up cable broke! HELP!

This may not be the place to ask.... maybe should be in the POP UP section but I was afraid that nobody there would notice this. Had a major problem happen today. Went out to crank it up to measure for something and darn it if I didn't snap a cable! I know that I could go to a dealer to get it fixed but being that I'm an old hillbilly gal I'll tackle it myself. How hard is it to do? Any place on line to go to for diagrams and help? I've got to have it fixed in 3 weeks.. leaving out to set up on April 26 for 2 weeks! I NEED IT WORKING! HELP!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
This may not be the place to ask.... maybe should be in the POP UP section but I was afraid that nobody there would notice this. Had a major problem happen today. Went out to crank it up to measure for something and darn it if I didn't snap a cable! I know that I could go to a dealer to get it fixed but being that I'm an old hillbilly gal I'll tackle it myself. How hard is it to do? Any place on line to go to for diagrams and help? I've got to have it fixed in 3 weeks.. leaving out to set up on April 26 for 2 weeks! I NEED IT WORKING! HELP!
You can get the cable by the foot & connections (crimps) to set with a hammer at any local RV dealer. You can then custom make your own cable. Use the broken cable to pull the new cable through. Good luck!
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Never tell an old hillbilly woman that she can't fix anything! Now granted that I have to go tomorrow and get a new cable....... but I know where/how to fix/connect everything already. It's good to know the workings of something. Never know when I'll have to do it again. But it would be nice if next time I have it up on a lift instead of crawling all over the ground on my back. That's not good on an old fat lady!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

It never happens when it's on the lift in a nice clean garage does it?

There are a lot of places to buy the cable and crimps, even Ebay. I don't recommend the hammer on crimps I much prefer the compression crimps. Of course you have to buy a crimper for them. They're rated for the full working load of the cable. Also don't buy 7x19 cable buy 7x7 it's much easier to work with and you don't have those tiny strands of cable poking into your fingers.