Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Veneer crumbling

Within the first year of buying our 2011 Grey wolf we had a leak issue. We returned it for repair when we noticed the veneer peeling. The leak was slight so the veneer issue was our first indication of a problem. We were within warranty but the ordering of parts and then repair had us out of warranty by the time we got it back. We are now dealing with the fact that the repair was just superficial and the paper or veneer bandage that was applied is now cracking all around the kitchen area and the particle board underneath is swelling and crumbling loose. I am wondering if there is any sealant or fix we can do to keep this from getting worse. We are comfortable enough in this trailer and are not really in the market to spend for a replacement but I don't want the wall and/or cabinet frames collapsing as we rumble down the road.
shellbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Is it really a 2011, or is that a typo?

To me, whenever you find particle board crumbling, it's time for work (or the trash).

The first question is, "Is the leak fixed?" Until the leak is fixed, anything else is a waste of time.

Once the leak is fixed, my method of fixing particle board is to replace it with real plywood. Real plywood is stronger, less susceptible to water damage, and lighter. Depending on inclination and situation, I either replace the whole cabinet structure with plywood and any necessary lumber framing, or splice in the plywood where the particle board is damaged.

For the latter case, 1/2" plywood usually works well for splice plates. Don't screw into particle board or the end grain of plywood - it won't hold long term. Screw into the plywood (or bolt); I like to add glue if I don't plan on taking the structure apart again.

You can glue veneer onto the plywood just as easily as onto particle board.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I find redoing things the right way makes me a happier camper.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

veneer crumbling

pgandw. Thanks for your input. Yes according to our paperwork it is a 26K built and sold to us in 2011. Your answer is basically what I expected. My husband is of the mindset that it does not seem to be a problem. I feel that it soon will be as I believe it will continue to get worse and it is ugly. I am by no means a carpenter so I was hoping for a solution I could tackle.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

The problem with particle board is that over the long term, screws don't hold - especially if there is any strain. And if gets wet, it swells and then crumbles where it got wet.

Even if you don't fix the particle board, you must get rid of any leak. If left unchecked, it will continue to cause damage to your trailer.

In my neck of the woods, there are home repair people who can do simple repairs like this pretty reasonably if you or your husband are not up to it, and you don't trust an RV repair place.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

The leak has been fixed. Unfortunately, the dealer that did the repair, did not properly fix the leak so the cosmetic repair has again cracked and now is getting worse. And yes, you are right about the swelling and crumbling. It can get pretty humid here which does not help. I did not realize how much of a trailer is made of particle board until this. Does not make sense when you factor in the added weight versus real wood. I will have to see what I can accomplish. Thanks again.