Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Marco Polo

Smile Waiting for parts. 4 months and still counting.

Waiting for parts. 4 months and still counting.

I brought my 2017 FR 24 feet Sunseeker MBS to my dealer (RV Canada in Ottawa) last August 20 to have my slide-out repaired. 4 months later, my unit is still in their parking lot, waiting for parts, from somewhere in the US (Indiana probably). My dealer has ordered the parts from FR who in return has ordered the parts from Lippert and so on.
I am sure that everybody is doing their best during this COVID crisis but if someone at Lippert read this, well, Merry Christmas from a customer in Canada. And Merry Christmas to all our forum friends. Marc et Nathalie.
Marc Gregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

Perhaps you can put a slide lock or two and bring it home while you wait. I never enjoy leaving my rv sitting for months. Does the rv dealer have any updates on shipping? Perhaps you could call lippert. RV service in general sucks, is overpriced, and slow.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Marco Polo

Good idea...Thanks.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Always Learning

I’ve called Lippert directly before. In fact, I’ve driven to Lippert to pickup parts to save a week+ on shipping. Maybe you can call them to get a better estimate of when you can expect the parts.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Not only would I call Lippert I would offer to pay for two day shipping and ask they send me the tracking number so I know when it arrived at the dealer.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

What do they have on order? One of our slides, I found, had a broken cable. Called several dealers and parts on national backorder. Looked on Lippert site and they dont even offer them. Looked on Amazon, no luck either. Cable broke at piece that goes through bracket on slide. Got to thinking, that hurt, that I could turn cable around, put threaded piece through bracket, work cable through all rollers to cable block. Needed a small turn buckle, amazon $3, long 1/4" bolt, had on hand, and some cable clamps. Welded 1/4" bolt onto bolt on turnbuckle. Attached threaded cable end to bracket, put nuts on both sides, and fed cable backwards, attached at turnbuckle, adjusted and wolla. Saved the $60 for the cable kit that you cant get, and besides the limited access, it went fairly well. Just put this out in case maybe you could fix yourself. Just a thought.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

I feel your frustration. My theater seating started falling apart and we could not get into the dealer until June 5. We did not get our trailer back until last week of September. We did end up with all new furniture eventually because it was still under warranty.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #8

I've said this before that yes Covid will have some impact but after the first month I'd be calling the dealer on upwards including, FR, Lippert ask where your parts are. To me, no one is being loud enough to get these parts shipped. Ask for higher level managers not just the normal customer support folks they are only doing what they are told. I bet if your ordered those parts yourself you would've had them months ago. I wait 2 weeks, this summer when my MH was in for work and when I spoke to the service manager he was at a loss when the parts would be shipped. Got a contact number called and asked for a supervisor next day parts were shipped. Its the squeaky wheel that gets the attention so don't take the excuses 4 months or even a month. Make the calls and keep asking for a higher level manager if some can't find the order and give you a date and tracking number. Let us know how you make out. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’ve called Lippert directly before. In fact, I’ve driven to Lippert to pickup parts to save a week+ on shipping. Maybe you can call them to get a better estimate of when you can expect the parts.
Unless a warranty item, either you or service center go directly to Lippert. Panels and other parts of the coach have you required to manufacturer, all else go to the supplier! Even under warranty you are better off going to Dometic for AC as they will find you a mobile tech or ?? that will take care of your problem faster than your dealer will write it up!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I've said this before that yes Covid will have some impact but after the first month
It's all going to depend on where the parts are sourced and what the status of their local government's shutdown mandates are.

My Son has waited 3-4 months for parts in his business that are sourced from both factories right here in this state as well as overseas. Once local inventory was depleted it fell to the factories to replace and that's kind of hard to do when people are either not coming to work or government mandates for "distancing" etc prevent some facilities from even opening.

Every business is affected in one way or another. Applying a blanket statement (like some do) saying "the RV industry sucks at customer service, parts shipments, so on and so forth" does nothing to help.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

Replacement Axel

Took my 5th wheel in Aug 3rd for a cracked axel. Just picked it up last Friday, 12/18, it also set waiting for replacement parts. Hopefully yours will be ready soon.
emason83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It's all going to depend on where the parts are sourced and what the status of their local government's shutdown mandates are.

My Son has waited 3-4 months for parts in his business that are sourced from both factories right here in this state as well as overseas. Once local inventory was depleted it fell to the factories to replace and that's kind of hard to do when people are either not coming to work or government mandates for "distancing" etc prevent some facilities from even opening.

Every business is affected in one way or another. Applying a blanket statement (like some do) saying "the RV industry sucks at customer service, parts shipments, so on and so forth" does nothing to help.
I don't disagree but what I've been reading on the different forums and my experience even this year you still need to follow-up to make sure that's the holdup or are you being pushed to the back. I'm not saying call screaming at these folks but keeping the line of communications open and working it up the chain to make sure the order actually got placed. These are unusual times, true, but unfortunately in general some people and practices never change. My point still remains IMHO don't seat back and let things happen.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #13
Marco Polo

Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Unless a warranty item, either you or service center go directly to Lippert. Panels and other parts of the coach have you required to manufacturer, all else go to the supplier! Even under warranty you are better off going to Dometic for AC as they will find you a mobile tech or ?? that will take care of your problem faster than your dealer will write it up!
From what my dealer in Ottawa tells me, it seems that my slide out problem is the object of a recall that i was never made aware of. Because of this, i have to go through FR.
By the way, has anyone heard of such a Schwintek recall (2017 FR Sunseeker WS MBS Sprinter?)
Old 12-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gregoire View Post
From what my dealer in Ottawa tells me, it seems that my slide out problem is the object of a recall that i was never made aware of. Because of this, i have to go through FR.
By the way, has anyone heard of such a Schwintek recall (2017 FR Sunseeker WS MBS Sprinter?)
I’ve visited this dealer back in early October and experienced their “customer service”.
We also worked with acquaintances that were involved in purchasing a brand new motorhome through them, and were given the runaround......and that’s putting it mildly. Did they actually show you this recall notice as it pertains to your situation?

I’d get my rig back and seek out another route for servicing.

Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
Marco Polo

Thx Ken and Terry. The good news is that the dealer confirmed that my slide out issue was «covered»...
Old 01-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
Marco Polo

Up date...

Quote:
Waiting for parts. 4 months and still counting.

I brought my 2017 FR 24 feet Sunseeker MBS to my dealer (RV Canada in Ottawa) last August 20 to have my slide-out repaired. 4 months later, my unit is still in their parking lot, waiting for parts, from somewhere in the US (Indiana probably). My dealer has ordered the parts from FR who in return has ordered the parts from Lippert and so on.
I am sure that everybody is doing their best during this COVID crisis but if someone at Lippert read this, well, Merry Christmas from a customer in Canada. And Merry Christmas to all our forum friends. Marc et Nathalie.
Got a message from my dealer in Ottawa saying that parts should arrive around January 7...
Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Got a message from my dealer in Ottawa saying that parts should arrive around January 7...
Thats good news. Thanks for the update and let us know how you make out. Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #18
Marco Polo

All repairs done after a 5 month-wait

Happy ending after all. Slide out system replaced on my 2017 Sunseeker 24WS (50 000 miles) after waiting 5 months for parts to arrive. (parts did arrive during Fall, but not the right ones...)
Cost: 4000$ Cdn. Fortunately covered by my extended warranty.
Thanks y'all!

Tags
parts