Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Water heater propane smell

So everything has been great in our new TT for the last 6 months. Getting everything ready and full of water to pull out in a couple days. Turn on the pump and water heater and there is a terrible propane gas smell coming in from under the kitchen sink where the tank sits next to inside a storage compartment. Water got hot but the smell was awful. Shut off the switch for over an hour and heater doesn't seem to want to kick back on.

I take it out monthly so it shouldn't be an issue of sitting to long. Any ideas you guys have to trouble shoot for myself. It's under warranty but my trip is set and really don't want to wait a week for the warranty work to get approved then another week for the repair. Went through that the last time around, thanks.
Nightride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you know what brand/type water heater you have? Forest River uses several different types and brands in their products.

Do you only have one switch inside your RV to the water heater, or is there another one to a possible electric heating element side of the water heater.

You could have a clogged flue (spiders and dirt dobbers are bad about making nests in the burner flue)

Anyway you might could post a pic of the water heater as accessed from outside the RV, as that will answer all the questions above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #4

Were you running any other appliances at the same time? Did the smell go away after the water heater shut off? Are you sure it was LP and not an odor that could be coming from your gray tank?
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooHyde View Post
Were you running any other appliances at the same time? Did the smell go away after the water heater shut off? Are you sure it was LP and not an odor that could be coming from your gray tank?
Having trouble gettimg a picture to load. Nothing else on just making sure water got hot. Smell goes away after i shut the switch off, only have one. Grey tank is empty. Now the heater isn't even coming back on.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

Can i send someone a pic to post for me? It keeps saying the image is to big even when i re size it.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #7

Ok, so the smell is gone, but now the WH won't turn on. I doubt that its in the WH itself, as the LP connections, valve, and exhaust are all on the exterior of the coach. It is possible, although unlikely, that you have developed a leak in the LP line going to the WH, but then it would be leaking all the time, not just with the WH on. Do you have a manometer? That is the best way to check for a leak.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightride View Post
Can i send someone a pic to post for me? It keeps saying the image is to big even when i re size it.
I sent you a PM

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #9

Email sent, thank you.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Okay, Nightride appears to have the Suburban SW?D propane only water heater:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swd.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	136470  

Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Site Team

Here's the normal operation cycle of this water heater:

It's normally a 3 try ignition cycle. When you initially turn on the DSI (Direct Spark Ignitor) switch inside your RV, then the gas valve opens and the DSI makes sparks (it's a ticking sound).

Once the propane ignites, the DSI quits making sparks. However if the propane doesn't ignite, then the DSI will also quit making sparks in a few seconds and the propane quits flowing.

After a brief interval (which gives time for propane to clear out of air), the ignition sequence starts again for second try. here again if it lights, all is well, but if not...the DSI quits and the propane stops.

Then after yet another brief period in order to clear propane out of the air. there is a third and final attempt. If it it doesn't light this time, the whole system locks out. You have to turn off the dsi switch inside the RV to reset the lockout..then turn it back on again to restart the three strike process.

The gas you smelled could have been from the DSI not igniting the gas, and was residual from the failed 3 strikes. You always want to make sure you allow enough time for the gas to dissipate before attempting the reset.

If your burner flue is stopped up with bug/critters, then it won't ignite right either. You may want to see if you can blow some compressed air thru it or such to clean it out...as if it is clogged, the propane can't properly reach the other end, where the DSI is.

Some members remove it to clean, which requires you to unscrew the gas line from the bottom of the propane regulator, and then unbolt the other end where it meets the spark ignitor.

Now, do you see the orangish color wire at the bottom right of your own pic, with a boot on it looking similar to a spark plug. This is the wire to your DSI ignitor that makes the electric spark. You may can make sure it's getting good connection and is not loose. Its just got a 1/4 inch female wire connection to the spark ignitor. Both wire and piezzo sparker are pictured below

Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #12

Be Careful

I'm wondering why your carbon monoxide alarm isn't going off. This strikes me as a matter of your own personal safety worth checking out.

If the wind is blowing directly at my HW tank grate, I will get a propane smell inside my unit, FR A-Frame, and the alarm will go off. So I carry a folding table on which I lean a piece of plywood to deflect the wind from blowing directly at the grate. I don't colpletely block the grate/vent. In most cases, this takes care of the problem. I also turn my HWH off at night.

Needless-to-say, always have a healthy respect for propane!
Camperron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #13

Thanks for posting the pic and all the input. I blew air threw the flue and some debree came out. Turned the heater on again and the propane smell is barely noticeable. It does seem to be clicking a whole lot but the ingniter connection is good. Still don't understand why I'm smelling gas inside from an outside problem. Good tip on just shutting it down at night. My detector works when tested, this time of year we only need hot water when showering. I'll just leave it shut down otherwise until i can get service done.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #14

Try to zero in on exactly where the smell is coming from. I developed a propane leak (diagnosed by the smell) over the winter for no good reason (winterized). I also had an issue with the hw heater at the same time and just figured it was related, but after closer investigation found out it wasn't...it was the stove that was leaking.
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightride View Post
Thanks for posting the pic and all the input. I blew air threw the flue and some debree came out. Turned the heater on again and the propane smell is barely noticeable. It does seem to be clicking a whole lot but the ingniter connection is good. Still don't understand why I'm smelling gas inside from an outside problem. Good tip on just shutting it down at night. My detector works when tested, this time of year we only need hot water when showering. I'll just leave it shut down otherwise until i can get service done.
If debris came out of the flue when you blew air into it it is possible that all of the debris is not completely gone. Spider webs in particular can be persistant that way. Try cleaning it again.

Also, the only way they can get in there is through the vent opening in the cover. I used some door screen on the inside held on pop rivets with backer washers. It keeps all the critters out.

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater