Old 01-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #1

Water leak at running lights on front

I have a 2018 26bhxl. Apparently one of the running/parking lights have been leaking since we bought the camper new in 2017. Forest river did not seal the drivers side, around the top of the light. The light backs up to the inside of the closet. I removed some clothing that had been left since the summer and noticed the buckling of the paneling. My camper is no longer under warranty. So beware, and keep a better eye out for crap like this. A friend of mine is having the same problem with a newer forest river camper now. Dealer and forest river will not cover his claim stating lack of maintenance.... I'll never buy another forest river product again. We upgraded from a pop up to have more luxury and room to enjoy camping more. I'm very disappointed in this albatross i bought!!

banyon359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

Our cousin has a 450 thousand dollar motor home. He just had to get one of his awnings put back on. It was never screwed into any backing. He has an entegra aspire. It is not just forest river. So yes, continually check everything.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

I can empathize with your frustration having had a laundry list of warranty items to get fixed on our new rig. In chatting with a friend that works at CW (was in service and is now in body shop), this is normal for ALL manufacturers. Not an answer I wanted to hear but was sort of comforting to know that quality control is not on the high list for any brand/manufacturer.

I continue to find things that should have been caught at the factory or during PDI. For example, just this past Sunday, I was poking around in the front compartment and wondered how you fill the hydraulic reservoir for the Level Up and slides. Well.....discovered that the cap was missing and because of that, oil had sloshed on the wires and surrounding area. Not to mention probably contamination of the oil over these past 7+ months. UGH. So I contacted LCI and they order me a new cap ($19 plus $16 for shipping). Disappointed yes.....but I learned for my next camper I'll spend hours and hours if need be during a walk through.

It bites....I agree.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

This is why it's important to inspect things like this. Leaks around light fixtures are common, not unusual. A tube of caulk and a ladder are necessary tools if you have any sort of RV.

-- Chuck
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyon359 View Post
I have a 2018 26bhxl. Apparently one of the running/parking lights have been leaking since we bought the camper new in 2017. Forest river did not seal the drivers side, around the top of the light. The light backs up to the inside of the closet. I removed some clothing that had been left since the summer and noticed the buckling of the paneling. My camper is no longer under warranty. So beware, and keep a better eye out for crap like this. A friend of mine is having the same problem with a newer forest river camper now. Dealer and forest river will not cover his claim stating lack of maintenance.... I'll never buy another forest river product again. We upgraded from a pop up to have more luxury and room to enjoy camping more. I'm very disappointed in this albatross i bought!!
We see you mentioned Forest River more than once. We can see in your profile your unit was built by the Wildwood division. Have you contacted the Wildwood division who built your unit?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #6

Leaking front clearance lights

I previously owned a Coachman Spirit of America TT. On a return trip from the northwest coast to Arkansas, I failed to discover a birdstrike on an upper clearance light. The lens stayed in one piece but the back plate was shattered and loose. After a 2200 mile trip home through multiple rainstorms, water permeated the front wall on the inside and soaked the floor in the pass-through storage compartment and under the bed. the floor swelled and began to rot. Now I always examine the clearance lights when prepping for any trip. Only takes a few minutes to inspect them. Might save your trailer! I traded this one in for my Forest River Lacrosse I presently own. I am telling this story to hopefully save someone grief in the future. A ground inspection without a ladder would have missed this problem!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

I am a maintenance type of guy.. I do regular maintenance on my camper. I clean and check my roof every 6 months. I Winterize like I should and probably over winterize. I was proud of upgrading to a travel trailer for my family. I understand things are going to happen. But two campers having the same problem from the same area and having the same damage.... What's the odds of that happening? I've had to fix the undercarriage lights, no big deal, it was a missed crimped connection. Most of the decals are peeling off around the edges.... I'm just disappointed in the overall quality of this thing. I usually don't speak out about these types of problems, but this leak has broke my silence..... Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...... I'll fix the damage myself and keep on using my camper. After all, I'm still paying for the thing!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #8

This is a common fault with all these lights etc
Every RV that I have owned I remove all the outside lights and buy a can of foam.....
I then foam the hole behind the fixture,,,,,spread a light coat of clear caulking and then screw the fixture back on the RV......If necessary use the next size up screw!!!! YOU cannot over do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

I'm going over everything with a fine tooth comb now.....

Tags
leak, light, water, water leak