Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

water leaking

I have several small tears in the black fiber membrane above the tires. Water is getting in only while driving. What is the best way to fix. I have seen inner fender wells on other RV's. Do they make ones to fit on a Salem 27RLSS? Or is there a better option...
All help appreciated
First Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you are getting any water in you have to stop it. I don't think they sell inner fenders for specific rigs most folks have custom made theirs. You may try spraying some flex seal over the area as a temporary fix until you come up with something more permanent.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I seal my under belly with gorilla brand tape. It seems to stick to anything and stays a long time. I use it to see those holes I make when fixing stuff. I also used it to fix a dlfew holes from a blow out.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Welcome!

Some time ago (within the last several months), somebody posted a link to a company that sells plastic wheel wells for most RVs. I can’t remember if they were custom-made or stocked items.

Try searching.

Bruce
Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

If you find them, try to get some in metal. I had a tire blowout on my 2015 and it blew through the bathroom floor shearing water and electrical lines. Even after repairs, it will never look the same. Still trying to fix the cable after it sheared through that line as well.
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

You would need some pretty sturdy metal to protect from a blow out. I had metal fenders and they still blew apart.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
You would need some pretty sturdy metal to protect from a blow out. I had metal fenders and they still blew apart.
Any protection is better then none . all TT should come with inner wheel well protection . the worst part is all the electrical , water , line , gas lines etc that they run above the wheels . stupid and can only be corrected by having a good designer / engineer change how these units are built
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Thank You

I found the plastic ones online, but it looks like with the slide mechanicals I would have to do quite a bit of modifying to get it to work. I put the gorilla tape on for now (that stuff does stick pretty good). I took measurements and am going to bend aluminum flashing and make pieces to protect the plastic. If I like the results I can pull off the flashing and use them as a template to have some made from a heavier galvanized steel. I hope it works......
First Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #9

I’d be interested to see how it turns out. When my tire blew, the rubber is what cracked the floor and made the hole, but the metal shards interwoven into the tire shot out like bullets and punctured the water lines and electrical wires. The wheel liners will definitely help.
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak