Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

Water pooling inside window frame after rain

Been searching for an hour on the forums before posting this. The rear side fixed windows in Coachmen’s Ruby Brookstone hold water after a rain. Do I remove the window to cure or what? Thanks in advance for direction. Bill Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	227612
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

I don't think you need to remove the window at this stage. check the outside of the window for proper sealing both the frame to rig and the glass to frame and make sure the weep holes at the bottom of the window are clear and free of any dirt or debris build up if it has weep holes.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Seadog hit it on the mark. I had a similar issue a few years ago. I cut about 12" of ground wire off some old 14/2 electrical cable and carefully reamed out the weep holes areas as far as the inside area allowed. Enough gunk came out to make me suspicious. Then I resealed the offending windows, which I usually stay on top of anyway.

Also, there are rubber inserts on the outside of my window frames and they looked a little out of their beds so I cleaned them in place with silicone spray and made sure they were inserted into their beds.

Honestly, I think my issue was the rubber inserts.

Good luck

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

Thinking about the rubber inserts, if my memory serves me, I think I pulled them out and cleaned them. The gunk that was on them came off easily with silicone spray and gentle rubbing.

When the inserts are in their beds they fit snugly but there is a little wiggle room
Old 04-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

Had exact same issue...it was caused by a gap in the seal which I repaired with a small bead of putty. Try hitting it with a hose from the outside to see if you can locate the opening.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:10 PM   #6

My weep hole was milled at the factory. A 1/2" x 1/8" slot that wasn't through. A shallow end mill slot that did not break through entirely. I used a 1/8" dia cutter on my Dremel to finish the slot to full depth. Also, I noticed the mounting brackets for awning mounts are on the gutter. The mount restricts rain gutter at that point and will easily plug. If so, the rain runoff will then over flow the gutter onto the awning (even if retracted) and follows this trough until dumping all the rain water on my window. This will cause the window weep holes to overflow condition and the rain water will push up into inside area. Clean the rain gutter at awning bracket mounts will prevent this.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #7

Thanks for your responses. Here’s the outside of the same window. No weep holes inside or out. ? Sorry. How do you take, or retrieve a photo from this page? 🙄
Old 04-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
Thanks for your responses. Here’s the outside of the same window. No weep holes inside or out. ? Sorry. How do you take, or retrieve a photo from this page? [emoji849]
Hmm, maybe I dont understand but you posted a picture to begin this thread.

On a reply, usually a "Phots, Files" with a "+" sign shows at the bottom of the reply window.

Is your problem something else?

If all else fails with posting a picture on FR, send me an email with a picture attached and maybe I can help.

Chrisdparise@gmail.com

Chris
Old 04-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #9

Check to see if your weep holes are at the top of the window. There have been a few reports of windows installed upside down.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #10

Will do!
Old 04-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #11

Not sure if this applies or not. I Have a 2013 Rockwood with the frameless windows. One of the fixed glass windows leaked quite badly. The rain gutter poured quite a bit of water onto this window. I tried two fixes, neither of witch stopped the leak. Last possibility was to remove the exterior light just a above the window and sure enough the hole in the siding for the wiring was not sealed and water just ran into the light fixture and then into the wall cavity then down the metal window frame into the trailer.
fgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #12

Thanks. Going to try to post a pic of exterior of window.
No wall penetration above windows. Thanks for that suggestion.
Also, it appears the the windows are not installed upside down. I enjoyed that one. With an unemployment rate of less than 1% in the county these units are made prior to the Wuhan shut down, I can understand how that can happen. 😎 Thanks again.
I’ll report on what I find ASAP. Leaving Florida for SC in a couple of days and will deal with it at next stop.
Press on.i
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	227701  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #13

Sorry, I cant zoom in enough to look at the bottom of the frame, was hoping to see weep slots.

If there are none then I think you must be getting water intrusion from above the window and its hitting the window frame and collecting there, and likely some is ending up in your wall cavity or on your floor or channeling and going elsewhere.

You might not have a roof leak. I had gutter screws into the wall that had loosened up over time and guess where the water channelled to? My window frames.

I made it a point of going into my rv during a hard rain just to look for any dripping after I knew there was a problem. And lo and behold I saw a water droplet forming on the inside wall right above the window, then another and another until it was steadily dripping. When the rain stopped, so did the dripping.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #14

Also look carefully at your slide room rubber sweeper seals on the sides and on the top. The top seal was caulked at the factory so it is impossible to maintain without removing your topper. By maintaining I mean recaulking.

You should be complemented on how clean and new your unit appears, but I could not see any caulking around either of your windows. I would do that, caulk I mean, first, unless you use clear or black and I cant detect it from the picture.

I am about out of suggestions. I've had minor leaks under both my slide toppers. Happened the same season on both slides - after 13 years the caulk just gave out. I replaced both slide topper fabrics and recaulked and that fixed it

Tags
frame, ram, water, window