Old 03-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Water Pump not hitting bottom?

We got our 2020 Alpha Wolf in November and just took it out for our first long weekend. Overall things went well enough, but there seems to be an issue with the water tank/pump (only electric hook-up on this trip). We got to ~1/3 of the tank and the pump barely was able to get any water out and just kept running. Trailer was level, no leaks anywhere to be found, the pump just kept running (you could hear it gurgling every so often as it got some). Eventually we just turned it on for a minute or so when needed. I even went so far as to readjust the trailer a little and see if that helped, it didnít.

At the dump I opened the drain and hoped the gauge was just off, but nope, there was a steady stream of water for a good 5 minutes.
This is my third TT and Iíve never had this issue. Anyone else? Any ideas?
Iíd hate to take it to the dealer for this, but Iím thinking that might be the next step.

Alpha2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

It sort of sounds like the suction line for the pump is positioned high on the tank might be something the dealer could correct. If not I would consider putting a "T" fitting on the drain and re-plumbing the pump suction to the drain location with shutoff valves for pump suction and drain. Just a consideration.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It sort of sounds like the suction line for the pump is positioned high on the tank might be something the dealer could correct. If not I would consider putting a "T" fitting on the drain and re-plumbing the pump suction to the drain location with shutoff valves for pump suction and drain. Just a consideration.
I agree.

There have been several reports if the suction line fitting NOT being on the bottom of the tank to effectively get all the water in it. I have no clue why the factory would do that... but they do at times. That is one of the reasons many suggest not putting antifreeze in the fresh tank when winterizing. It takes many gallons to reach the suction port and then it takes lots of flushing to get it out, come better weather.

Plumbing the suction line into a Tee on the drain line has been an effective solution.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree.

There have been several reports if the suction line fitting NOT being on the bottom of the tank to effectively get all the water in it. I have no clue why the factory would do that... but they do at times. That is one of the reasons many suggest not putting antifreeze in the fresh tank when winterizing. It takes many gallons to reach the suction port and then it takes lots of flushing to get it out, come better weather.

Plumbing the suction line into a Tee on the drain line has been an effective solution.
Two possible reasons for not putting a suction line all the way to the bottom of a tank. The logical one would be to allow some room for any solids that might have been in the water that filled the tank to settle and the pump would then not pick up the sediment. The other reason would be an error on the part of the installer.

On my tank the suction pickup is from a port molded into the side of the tank about an inch above the bottom. If the tank is 2' x 4' and the suction is an inch off the bottom that means that about 5 gallons will not be sucked up by the pump. An additional amount of water may also be "trapped" due to any sag in the bottom of the tank.

This may account for all the water that comes out of the tank when the drain is opened which using my tank again for an example, is mounted as close as possible to the bottom of the tank, about an inch lower than the suction port.

If one filters the water into the tank to make sure there's nothing to form sediment in the water, I can't see any reason to not re-plumb so suction is from the drain port (if it's lower) and just put a tee in the line so the tank can be drained as needed.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Two possible reasons for not putting a suction line all the way to the bottom of a tank. The logical one would be to allow some room for any solids that might have been in the water that filled the tank to settle and the pump would then not pick up the sediment. The other reason would be an error on the part of the installer.

On my tank the suction pickup is from a port molded into the side of the tank about an inch above the bottom. If the tank is 2' x 4' and the suction is an inch off the bottom that means that about 5 gallons will not be sucked up by the pump. An additional amount of water may also be "trapped" due to any sag in the bottom of the tank.

This may account for all the water that comes out of the tank when the drain is opened which using my tank again for an example, is mounted as close as possible to the bottom of the tank, about an inch lower than the suction port.

If one filters the water into the tank to make sure there's nothing to form sediment in the water, I can't see any reason to not re-plumb so suction is from the drain port (if it's lower) and just put a tee in the line so the tank can be drained as needed.
I've not owned a R/V that didn't have a suction/strainer on the inlet side of the pump. No reason to put the suction port high enough to compensate for dirt/sediment other than poor planning (from the factory)
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Tank drains not always on LOW point

On my FW tank, the outlet and drain are located on the side of the tank. Unfortunately, once the tank is filled and gets bowed, the low point has now dropped, possibly as much as a couple of inches.

To remedy this, I installed a flange and fittings on the new low point of the tank to allow for all water to be drained out. I posted sometime ago showing how I did this. If you do a search with the terms "waterops1 flange", it shows up along with photos (some turned-oops).

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #7

The pump feed on my Graywolf 26rr is tee'd from the bottom drain.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Thanks, all. Sorry for the long delay in getting back on here. I like the idea of the “T”, wish I didn’t have to do this kind of mod with a brand new TT.
I would agree that this is probably a “mistake” from the manufacturer.
Alpha2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
On my FW tank, the outlet and drain are located on the side of the tank. Unfortunately, once the tank is filled and gets bowed, the low point has now dropped, possibly as much as a couple of inches.

To remedy this, I installed a flange and fittings on the new low point of the tank to allow for all water to be drained out. I posted sometime ago showing how I did this. If you do a search with the terms "waterops1 flange", it shows up along with photos (some turned-oops).
Here it is for you:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...om-188169.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump