Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Waterpur Replacement Cartridge

I have a 2018 Forest River Legacy 34C BH with a WaterPur whole coach filtration system. I forgot to remove the cartridge before I winterized so I will need to replace it; however, I don’t know the model number or where to buy it at. Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the correct replacement model at or a model number?
cdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #2

Those things are a ticking time bomb. Known to explode. When ours did i got rid of it. Do yourself a favor and bypass it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
murph mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #3

the cartridge is KW1. they are available from many on-line vendors for around $30. i would also recommend that you get the plastic wrench designed to remove the clear plastic filter housing. they are under $10 on-line.

there are many posts about people that remove the entire filter assy and replace it with something else, including external filters inline with the water supply hose. and there are many posts from people that get years of service from these filters.

one bit of advice is to remove all water pressure and push up on the bottom of the filter housing when you turn it to remove it. it has small teeth on it that lock the housing in place. pushing up disengages these teeth.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice and I’ll keep that in mind but for now, I’m just looking to replace the cartridge. I’ve got a trip coming up and very little time to work on the RV before we leave because I’ve got a full work travel schedule. Do you know the model number or where I can get one?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
the cartridge is KW1. they are available from many on-line vendors for around $30. i would also recommend that you get the plastic wrench designed to remove the clear plastic filter housing. they are under $10 on-line.

there are many posts about people that remove the entire filter assy and replace it with something else, including external filters inline with the water supply hose. and there are many posts from people that get years of service from these filters.

one bit of advice is to remove all water pressure and push up on the bottom of the filter housing when you turn it to remove it. it has small teeth on it that lock the housing in place. pushing up disengages these teeth.
Thanks for all the advice on this. I’ll pick up both the cartridge and the wrench so I can get this knocked out for my upcoming trip to the Kentucky Derby!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

just for what it is worth, you can remove the cartridge and reinstall the housing without a cartridge in it and it will allow water to pass through it. it won't be filtered but it will flow.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

What Chickdoe said, then add a blue torpedo from Walmart between hose and RV so you have some minimum filtration.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

BTW, my 2019 trailer FR1 assembly did not have any locking teeth, it is just threaded.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

intersting! with no locking teeth that should make assembly / disassembly even easier. perhaps they removed the teeth as a result of all the people that were having issues with them.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post

Can you post a link to where I can get the wrench at or will any normal slip wrench such as what is used for an oil filter work?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #11

A slip wrench should work. Any of the places that sell the replacement cartridge will also have the wrench. It is made out of plastic and slips around the ridges on the outside of the canister. You only use it for the initial turn as after that the canister can be turned by hand. The secret to the canister is snug, not tight. The actual seal is by an o-ring rather than in the threads. When snug as soon as you put water pressure inside the canister it will get pushed down and the locking teeth hold it.

Tags
replacement, water