Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Weight Limit on Top Bunks

We take delivery of a Surveyor 294 in a couple of weeks. We have two teens (boy 17, girl 14) and two younger kids (girl 8, boy 5). I'd like to put the teens on the wider bunks, which means one will be on a top bunk. Does anyone know how much weight a top bunk on this model can hold?
Hills Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #2

In our rockwood 8313ss, I believe the swing-down bunk has a weight limit of about 150 lbs. Our old camper, which was a Fleetwood Terry had fixed bunks (not the swing down type)and the weight limit on the top bunk was 150lbs. I am not sure if the 150 lbs is a standard weight limit on all bunks, this info is just my experience.
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills Family View Post
We take delivery of a Surveyor 294 in a couple of weeks. We have two teens (boy 17, girl 14) and two younger kids (girl 8, boy 5). I'd like to put the teens on the wider bunks, which means one will be on a top bunk. Does anyone know how much weight a top bunk on this model can hold?
I have a surveyor 235 rks and have slept with both my children on the top bunk. Mind you, my children don't weigh 100 lbs together (yet!) because they are only 5 and 7. I myself am far from skinny and around 200 lbs. I am going from memory but I thought my bunks had a limit of 300 - 350 lbs. each???

cheers,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

I hope you're right - it will make my life a lot easier!! I see you're from Ontario - so are we. Where do you like to camp?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Jas

my sv 291 (little brother version) is rated at 300# on the top bunk. Hope it helps
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

That does help, thanks. How did you find out the rating? I have checked my brochure front to back and have found nothing on this topic.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Jas

mine has a little sticker on the fwd bulkhead about 2" below the bunk.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks - I'll look for that on mine when I get it.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
I hope you're right - it will make my life a lot easier!! I see you're from Ontario - so are we. Where do you like to camp?
ANYWHERE! . We are from the east side of T.O. How about yourself? You got some spots picked out already?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #10

We've been tent campers for 15 years and stuck pretty much to provincial parks close by (we're in Brooklin, just north of Whitby). Our favourites are Balsam Lake and Sandbanks.

Now with the trailer we're getting a bit more adventurous - we're going to go to and from Florida, camping along the way and staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness. This first summer I am being cautious and pretty much sticking with KOAs (which I remember well from my own childhood).

I counted last night and I have 30 nights of camping booked between May and September - can't wait!!

By the way, I contacted Forest River and for my model, the 294, the weight limits are 150 lbs upper bunk and 250 lbs lower bunk.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #11

Hmm... for the upper bunk on the 294 we have a 150# limit and for the upper bunk on the 291 we have 300# limits?

That seems strange...

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #12

Thanks for the heads up. I will need to look closer for that sticker. I don't remember seeing anything indicating a weight limit for the upper bunk.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Jas

the sticker may besome of that "dealer magic" too
Old 04-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #14

150 makes more sense since I believe in the 294 the top bunk simply rests on pieces of wood secured to the camper walls. I'm not familiar with the 291 - does the bunk maybe rest on a cabinet or something else that bears more weight than the camper walls?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
150 makes more sense since I believe in the 294 the top bunk simply rests on pieces of wood secured to the camper walls. I'm not familiar with the 291 - does the bunk maybe rest on a cabinet or something else that bears more weight than the camper walls?
No, in m 291 it is just on the walls. But I will look for that sticker tonight.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
We've been tent campers for 15 years and stuck pretty much to provincial parks close by (we're in Brooklin, just north of Whitby). Our favourites are Balsam Lake and Sandbanks.

Now with the trailer we're getting a bit more adventurous - we're going to go to and from Florida, camping along the way and staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness. This first summer I am being cautious and pretty much sticking with KOAs (which I remember well from my own childhood).

I counted last night and I have 30 nights of camping booked between May and September - can't wait!!

By the way, I contacted Forest River and for my model, the 294, the weight limits are 150 lbs upper bunk and 250 lbs lower bunk.
The KOA's in Kingston, Cardinal and Gananoque are really nice... and expensive. Guess you get what you pay for. We were at Goreski's last year for the weekend, very disappointed by the lack of cleanliness ( broken beer bottles in the pavilion at 11:30 in the morning with kids playing everywhere near ). The place is so close to home with much potential but not a lot of pride of ownership (IMO). We have yet to find a KOA that was not spotless and quiet. Bon Echo is supposed to be a really nice spot also.

We are supposed to be going back to Disney next year, I can't convince the boss to take the trailer and camp. We got 34 nights in the first year we had our trailer, we didn't get it until June 12!

We are going to Yogi Bear park (somewhere up the 400?) and the water park that is up that way this year, maybe in June. We spent a couple days at Yogi Bear in New Brunswick last year.

Our big trip was 5000km last year and spent around $1200 in gas (out to the Cabot trail and back through Nova Scotia). If you ever go that way you will have to see Hopewell Rocks, really cool.

Happy Camping,
Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #17

We drove to the east coast in 2003. I swore right then that if my husband and I could get jobs on the island we'd move there in a minute!

I'd like to show the kids the west coast, and most of the drive would be ideal for towing the tent trailer, but I don't know what we would do once we hit the Rockies.

I'll keep a record and let you know how much we spend in gas on our trip to and from Disney. Our tv is a Yukon and it only gets 16 l/100 km when it's not towing.

You know what? I don't care - it's still less expensive (and better for the environment) than flying a family of 6 + guest back and forth, staying in a Disney resort, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
We drove to the east coast in 2003. I swore right then that if my husband and I could get jobs on the island we'd move there in a minute!

I'd like to show the kids the west coast, and most of the drive would be ideal for towing the tent trailer, but I don't know what we would do once we hit the Rockies.

I'll keep a record and let you know how much we spend in gas on our trip to and from Disney. Our tv is a Yukon and it only gets 16 l/100 km when it's not towing.

You know what? I don't care - it's still less expensive (and better for the environment) than flying a family of 6 + guest back and forth, staying in a Disney resort, etc.
We toyed with the idea of heading west this year. Gonna wait for another year or two. There is so much to see in Ontario. I'm sure that you could camp at a different site every night for a couple years straight. Anyone I've talked to says that camping at Disney is awesome! I will get there with my trailer sometime!

Are your teenagers on board for the whole camping thing? I really hope my kids still want to hang with mom and dad when they are teenagers! Right now, my kids would kill me if I got rid of the trailer and they are only 5 and 7!