Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 11:04 PM   #1
beginer

What is it battery switch do?

In 2019 Sunseeker st the driver seat located this switch with battery picture. I don't have manual. Wondering what is it doing and how I can use if I need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221020_035630111.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	280648  
rushhohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
Site Team

From the FR motorhome owners manual:

BATTERY DISCONNECT

The 12VDC battery disconnect switch(es) is used to disconnect the RV's 12VDC electrical system from the batteries to avoid battery drain by electrical items that are hooked directly to the batteries.

Turn the battery disconnect ON to allow the battery to provide 12VDC power to your RV. Turn the battery disconnect OFF to prevent the battery from providing 12VDC power to your RV. To prevent battery discharge from the effects of parasitic battery draw, OFF is the recommended battery disconnect position when your RV is in storage.

NOTICETurn the master battery disconnect switch ON when entering the RV and keep in ON during travel to ensure that batteries are charged and 12VDC electrical systems remain operational.
NOTICESome RV’s have multiple battery disconnect switches. *If you are unsure of your equipment, please consult with your local Forest River dealer on specific electrical details regarding your Forest River RV.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #3
beginer

bikendan, I think this instructions is for switch inside RV over entrance step's see on photos. Yes, I turned off when parking between my vacation trips. I have experience when in my first month I lived on and battery has been draining.

But this one at the driver seat you can't turn ON or OFF. Just pushing and it coming back to it's position. When you click it you can hear sounds of clicking electric system very same when you turn ON this switch on this photo.

That switch stays ON and turn all the systems working. But this one to turn ON you should hold you pushed finger on it. This is why I wondered what is it for
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221020_044256542.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	280650   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221020_044235912.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	280651  
Old 10-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #4

It's most likely the emergency (aux) start switch that ties the house and chassis batteries together if the chassis battery is to low to start the coach. Almost certain of this. It's a momentary switch so hold it actuated while starting the coach; release after start.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #5
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It's most likely the emergency (aux) start switch that ties the house and chassis batteries together if the chassis battery is to low to start the coach. Almost certain of this. It's a momentary switch so hold it actuated while starting the coach; release after start.
Thank you.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #6

Motorhomes seem to be catching up to 1950s motorboat technology which routinely used Off-1-Both-2 battery switches to connect the starting battery (1) and/or house battery (2) to the main system. On a infrequently used motorhome the Off setting can be valuable as innocent items line the remote locking system can kill the starting battery if in storage for too long.

We're spoiled by our daily driver automobiles as the battery never sits long enough to discharge below the voltage needed to start the car but I've had cars with batteries that wouldn't survive 3 weeks at the airport and consequently I fitted battery disconnects to them. (Open drivers door with key, pop the hood, reconnect.)

House battery power is constantly siphoned by LP detectors, and radio memories at a minimum and discharging even real deep cycle batteries to a uber-low voltage permanently damages them.

For winter storage leave the fully charged batteries in place and disconnect the Negative wire -- the switch may not do it. They'll have enough voltage in May to be fine as self discharge in cold temperatures is minimal.

-- Chuck
Old 10-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
For winter storage leave the fully charged batteries in place and disconnect the Negative wire -- the switch may not do it. They'll have enough voltage in May to be fine as self discharge in cold temperatures is minimal.

-- Chuck
Thank you for your advice, Chuck.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
That's exactly what it is. Same on my 2016 Sunseeker.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhohol View Post
Thank you for your advice, Chuck.
Just a note: There is no chassis battery disconnect; only the coach batteries. Personally, and not saying there isn't one but have not seen a chassis battery disconnect in a motorhome.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch