Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
What is this open pipe?

I have a brand new 2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD and discovered this pipe sticking up through the floor. It's coming up through the floor above the fresh water tank. The hose running along side it is the water inlet to the pump from the fresh water tank. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_175443.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	202349  
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,841
So the Blue one with the connector goes to your pump ? What about the smaller white one ? Where does it go ? The Larger white one is the gravity fill for the FW tank. The cut off blue one is a mystery. Do you have an overflow line for your FW tank coming out the bottom of the trailer ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart
 
dward51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 804
This is where one of those $20 inspection camera/endoscope units that fit on your smart phone would come in handy. Snake the camera/led end down that cut out and see where the mystery line goes. I have one and it has saved my butt a few times on where to run added electrical lines, or "what's behind that panel", etc...


I'm talking about units that plug into your phone (or communicate via wifi). A 6' model is all you usually need and they are the less expensive ones.
__________________
Just the 2 of us in a...
2015 Freedom Express 246RKS
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
So the Blue one with the connector goes to your pump ? What about the smaller white one ? Where does it go ? The Larger white one is the gravity fill for the FW tank. The cut off blue one is a mystery. Do you have an overflow line for your FW tank coming out the bottom of the trailer ?
The blue one that is hooked up goes to the water pump. The small white one is the vent for the fresh water fill and the large white one is the fresh water fill.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
This is where one of those $20 inspection camera/endoscope units that fit on your smart phone would come in handy. Snake the camera/led end down that cut out and see where the mystery line goes. I have one and it has saved my butt a few times on where to run added electrical lines, or "what's behind that panel", etc...


I'm talking about units that plug into your phone (or communicate via wifi). A 6' model is all you usually need and they are the less expensive ones.
I do have one at work and could give it a try. I blew into the end of the hose and I think it's a second hose that goes into the fresh water tank. Not sure why two hoses would be needed to take water from the tanks
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I do have one at work and could give it a try. I blew into the end of the hose and I think it's a second hose that goes into the fresh water tank. Not sure why two hoses would be needed to take water from the tanks
the fresh water tank needs a fill hose, a drain hose, a vent/overflow hose, and a supply hose to the pump. I'm betting that hose is the vent/overflow hose that is supposed to point down at the ground. Just guessing.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
...far N Georgia!
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Hiawassee, GA!
Posts: 3,107
I would think it's just an 'air vent' for the water tank, which prevents 'suction' from happening when the pump is pulling water from the tank, or to provide a way for air to be pushed from the tank when filling it.

my tank has two, and both come out near the top of the tank, and exit down below the coach, also providing for overflow if the tank is filled too high.
__________________

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 96
I also have have a 2018 204RD and do not have a second blue hose coming up from the tank.

I'd guess maybe a hose that wasn't working properly and got replaced.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker0 View Post
I also have have a 2018 204RD and do not have a second blue hose coming up from the tank.

I'd guess maybe a hose that wasn't working properly and got replaced.
Well that's interesting. I will be blocking it off. A bit scary thinking that water could possibly end up of the floor on a full tank.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
the fresh water tank needs a fill hose, a drain hose, a vent/overflow hose, and a supply hose to the pump. I'm betting that hose is the vent/overflow hose that is supposed to point down at the ground. Just guessing.
Thinking the same thing....man what a screw up that would be when the tank is FULL !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Thinking the same thing....man what a screw up that would be when the tank is FULL !
If that's the case then the tanks would have to come down to position the hose correctly.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Can someone comment on where the overflow hose comes out at the bottom of the FW tank. It has skirting underneath so I'm assuming there should be a hose visible on the underside.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,543
Large white house is fill hose. Small white hose is tank vent goes to fill access on side RV. Blue one connected to pump is suction line for FW . second unconnected blue line appears to be unused and simply not removed
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
I'm thinking the open blue hose isn't my overflow. When I blow into the open end of the hose I can feel resistance and hear "bubbles" in the tank. The tanks only has a small amount of antifreeze from winter storage so this tells me the hose goes to the bottom of the tank. I looked under the trailer and can't see an overflow hose out the bottom. Isn't it possible the overflow is the vent pipe that goes up to the fill hose?
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker0 View Post
I also have have a 2018 204RD and do not have a second blue hose coming up from the tank.

I'd guess maybe a hose that wasn't working properly and got replaced.
Can you do me a favor and look under your trailer and tell me where your overflow pipe comes out? When you overfill your FW tank does water come out the vent outlet next to the fill inlet?
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 2,123
Bubbles is not something you would want to hear. Even if it was a secondary vent (assuming the white tube is the actual vent) then it is lower than the vent based on the picture. That means it will leak in the trailer before out the vent...
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Pockets
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 128
The small white hose is just an air vent tube. But water will come out of it if the FW tank is filled. However in RuggyBuggy's case, the water may come out of the blue unconnected hose but only if there is pressure in the FW tank. The air vent tube is so that FW will flow without restrictions.
__________________
Bob & Kelley
2015 Flagstaff 26RBSS
2014 FORD F-150 Supercrew 4x4
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Can you do me a favor and look under your trailer and tell me where your overflow pipe comes out? When you overfill your FW tank does water come out the vent outlet next to the fill inlet?
Overflow is connected to the fill cap. Top left side. Never to overfill yet though.
luker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker0 View Post
Overflow is connected to the fill cap. Top left side. Never to overfill yet though.
So that's good new. Glad you didn't say you had an overflow tube out the bottom. I'm suspecting that the open blue hose is a secondary water feed from the fresh water tank that someone mistakenly forgot to cap. Maybe it was an updated tank that comes installed on the 2019 Freedom Express. My trailer was bought in Oct of 2018 and was listed as a 2019. I'll cap it of and be done with it.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #20
Retired Old Fart
 
dward51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 804
Did you try to tug on it to see if it feels like it's attached to anything or just sitting loose in the tank?
__________________
Just the 2 of us in a...
2015 Freedom Express 246RKS
2002 GMC Sierra 1500
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.