Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
Dusty72

What RV GPS has had best results from?

Getting a fifthwheel and want to purchase a gps but not sure which one, feedback would be great. Thank you in advance
DC 235BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 235BHS View Post
Getting a fifthwheel and want to purchase a gps but not sure which one, feedback would be great. Thank you in advance
We've had several standalone GPS devices over the years. I get tired of having to update them, and/or not being accurate on an up to the hour basis. No longer worth the $$$ anymore.
Now we just use phone apps. Much more current. And if we are going into an area with suspected limited reception, we download the route to our phone/tablet the night before, just in case. Makes life just that much simpler.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Dusty72

I use my phone now but i was wanting a rv gps that i enter my specs in and it routes me accordingly, do they have map apps for rvs loke this?
DC 235BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
I use my phone now but i was wanting a rv gps that i enter my specs in and it routes me accordingly, do they have map apps for rvs loke this?
Lots of apps out there. Search for trucker apps. We use Google maps, Waze, and Sygic. Also paper maps. Never rely on just one app when in unknown areas.
Sygic definitely lets you put the size of your vehicle in. Our trucker friend recommended it to us.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Even the GPS devices specifically for R/Vs and those for trucks are not without issue. There have been many threads here discussing them and folks that have them often say they have been directed down a dirt road or dead end.

Technology just isn't up to date yet for units that need low clearances or special routing. Couple that with ongoing road construction where they could come in and put 4" of blacktop on an existing road and the information isn't any good anyway.

We paid for and side loaded Low Clearances to our GPS but found it not accurate.

Currently using our phones with Waze and Google Maps directly into our Sync 3 display. I'll often check the route on Google Maps via a computer the night before using satellite and street view for suspected trouble spots.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:

We are currently looking at the Garmin

RV 770. Lots of positive reviews and the price is right.
Retired Law Enforcement
TT 2020 Flagstaff 22FBS
TV 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 (aka Big Red)
woolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #7

We use a Garmin dezl. It's a trucker / rv unit. You can input your RV parameters ( height, length, other) as well as unique avoidances. Also has traffic and weather. Warns of curves, grades, excessive speed etc. Lifetime updates. Definitely uses a different algorithm than the factory built in GPS in the truck. Not quite as quick to reroute as Waze however.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

We have a 5er but prefer secondary roads when time permits. The problem with ALL gps units is that they ALWAYS want to keep you on interstates if at all possible. The only work around that I have found is to put in a destination every 20 or 30 miles. A royal pain in the butt.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #9

Garment n 760 and 780.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artspe View Post
We have a 5er but prefer secondary roads when time permits. The problem with ALL gps units is that they ALWAYS want to keep you on interstates if at all possible. The only work around that I have found is to put in a destination every 20 or 30 miles. A royal pain in the butt.
Every one I've used has an avoidance option for freeways: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Wn40NugVctJIz6
Old 02-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #11

We use Co-Pilot which allows you to put your specific RV details. You can also switch to auto if you do not need RV specific route.
RonGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #12

GPS

We have the Garmin. The price was right, friends gave it to us when they switched to the Rand McNally. They prefer that one. I like that the screen is larger than phone and I can put it at eye level on my dash. I use one of the Garmin sand bag mounts. I download the new map version to my Garmin every couple of years. I use RV Trip Wizard to plot route w/ height restrictions and try to stay on its suggestions.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #13

We have the Garmin RV770. I like it, but sometimes it will come up with a routing that will make you scratch your head. But then again, so does Waze.

I still prefer a standalone GPS because the smartphone app-based GPS solutions usually only will work when they can get an internet connection. At least Waze is that way, which I use daily to navigate the traffic around St. Louis.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #14

I have used a garmin 760LM for 7 years. It reroutes me around roads and bridges that my 13.5’ high x 42’ long 5th wheel trailer can not fit through. When I bought it, I upgraded to lifetime maps and have not paid a dime ever since
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #15

Garmin DriveSmart 65

I looked around and like the fact that you can hookup 4 camera's to the Garmin.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
5th Wheel - Primetime CrusaderLite 29 BH
DSkrivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #16

We have a Garmin 780. We tried our phone but ended up on some not so RV friendly roads and were taken through neighborhoods, some rather sketchy, apparently they were a little shorter. So we spent the bucks for the Garmin. We input all of our TV and TT info and are always routed accordingly.
Westtexgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:26 AM   #17

Misdirection

We have a Garmin - Drive 51 LM but I mention it tongue in cheek. We still use it but use our phone as a backup and double check. Here is the reason- We were on a trip and had entered our final destination for the day. Nearing the end of the day it guided us off of the nice highway into the worst and physically dangerous, we felt, part of a major city. Everything was boarded up and local traffic looked sketchy. I was projected to drive 20 miles through this part of town so we double checked our cell phones Garmin Map App and quickly got back on the highway having driven several miles already. Bottom line- ultimately the cell dropped us off the highway some 200 ft from our destination entrance. We now use the Garmin GPS but verify with the cell phone.
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #18

I have a Garmin RV770and am quite happy with it. In the few years I have had I it, it has not sent us wrong.

I also have been using RV Trip Wizard for the last year which does a very good job of helping to do trip planning. It is a bit of work to get the route from Trip Wizard to the GPS, after doing it a couple of times it gets to be pretty easy.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #19

Sygic not the greatest

I have Sygic installed in my 18 wheeler and while it will get you there, mine routes me off of highway routes onto access roads, for no reason, then back onto the highway so I don't completely trust it. It has not as of yet routed me into low bridges, so I guess there is a plus.
Ratchethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #20

Quote:
We used a Good Sam RV GPS by Garmin, it’s great, now we more often use the iphone map since it’s just easier and more convenient. We still carry the Garmin, just in case!!
woolfs is offline   Reply With Quote