Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 08:23 PM   #1

What stinks ?

Just returned from a 4 night stay. Strong holding tank odor from base of bathroom sink . First thought was the air admittance valve, and still could be the problem from what I'd researched. So is it possible while the fan is on to exhaust the smell and pull it back in another roof vent. Couldn't imagine it would be that strong. There's an aav under both the galley and bath sink. Is there also one for the black or is it shared with the grey ? Wondering if the roof tank vent smell is drawn in elsewhere by the fan running and if its directly related to a bad aav.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 09:30 PM   #2

make sure you run water in the sink every couple of days
probably not a large P trap so water evaporates and exposes you to nasty smells

storage.... put plug in the sink smeared with plumbers grease

Shower drain can use water top up in the traps too
Old 06-11-2024, 04:03 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

If you have a p-trap, like Aussieguy said, no water in trap = bad smells. If you have a waterless trap, although it doesn't happen often, the lips inside that thing might be stuck open with debris or something. Again, not common. Lastly, if you have a Dometic 300, about 50% of owners have a big problem with trapped urine, lots of thread on this. Recommend you put your rig info in your signature for more specific help.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:14 PM   #4

Kind of narrowed it down I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
If you have a p-trap, like Aussieguy said, no water in trap = bad smells. If you have a waterless trap, although it doesn't happen often, the lips inside that thing might be stuck open with debris or something. Again, not common. Lastly, if you have a Dometic 300, about 50% of owners have a big problem with trapped urine, lots of thread on this. Recommend you put your rig info in your signature for more specific help.
Pulled the galley aav today, gunked up. Have two supposedly better quality ones on order. Will start from there. Lived the Dometic 300 nightmare 2 years back. The forum helped me discover that with a flashlight and mirror. Since replaced with the one piece porcelain, problem solved. Hope mfg's quit using that model, if not have it changed out before you buy a unit.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s . Not sure how to navigate the site since the original dissolved to add this feature.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
Pulled the galley aav today, gunked up. Have two supposedly better quality ones on order. Will start from there. Lived the Dometic 300 nightmare 2 years back. The forum helped me discover that with a flashlight and mirror. Since replaced with the one piece porcelain, problem solved. Hope mfg's quit using that model, if not have it changed out before you buy a unit.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s . Not sure how to navigate the site since the original dissolved to add this feature.
Still surviving toilet odor free with our 300. (knock on plastic!), into year 6. I'm one of the lucky 50% so far. Glad you seem to have found issue.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:36 PM   #6

Unless you have a very leaky camper, any time you use your exhaust fan another source of air from the outside is needed. It can and will pull air in from any where it can get in including toilet seals and older vents.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #7

You are a lucky one. Possibly they changed a gasket design or type of sealant mid production after 50% complained about the issue. Anyways, there's bigger problems in the world than rv toilets .Happy Camping.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ya mean like this?? I LOVE having an RV. Keeps me busy so I don't kill myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16043B84-90C5-4505-8140-28FCB2AD3912.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	300855  
Old 06-11-2024, 07:47 PM   #9

Doesn't look good. I'm afraid to ask.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Groundhog chewed holes through underbelly, maybe because was stinky. Discovered all the insulation in underbelly was soaked. Not sure if water leaked in from bottom of forward leading bulkhead or top. Got lucky, flooring was still not warped or rotted. At least now I know why I was getting a musty odor inside.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Groundhog chewed holes through underbelly, maybe because was stinky. Discovered all the insulation in underbelly was soaked. Not sure if water leaked in from bottom of forward leading bulkhead or top. Got lucky, flooring was still not warped or rotted. At least now I know why I was getting a musty odor inside.
Did you thank the groundhog?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:24 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Did you thank the groundhog?
I was thinking of thanking her with my .22 before I discovered the water damage. Now, I think that would be bad karma.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:51 PM   #13

One way to discover an unknown issue. That sucks. Chipmunks around here. They don't leave much evidence on the outside, but raise hell once inside. Surprisingly it doesn't take a whole lot for a insurance co. to total a trailer. The cost to fix by a dealer can easily surpass the vehicle's value. Wouldn't be shocked to want payback on the varmints.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:44 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
One way to discover an unknown issue. That sucks. Chipmunks around here. They don't leave much evidence on the outside, but raise hell once inside. Surprisingly it doesn't take a whole lot for a insurance co. to total a trailer. The cost to fix by a dealer can easily surpass the vehicle's value. Wouldn't be shocked to want payback on the varmints.
Funny thing, I see chipmunks and grey squirrels running around outside of camper all day long, never a problem. Never got so much as a mouse in there. But groundhogs are another story. They cost me thousands of dollars in damage over the years. (Before this, just my cars). They LOVE the wiring, especially ABS wiring on vehicles they can easily reach. Thank you environmentalists for forcing industry to use soy in insulation vs. petro. Now my property is littered with lead and groundhog skeletons.