Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #21

Thanks for letting me know. I think the shot from the bottom and the holes being slotted gave the illusion.
ewhite2316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you say so.

Contrary to the opinions of several there's nothing wrong with the EZ-Lube system IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

It's been working fine on my TT for over 4 years now. Over 30K miles, and even with the OE bearings.

The biggest problem I see with the EZ-Lube system is it imparts a false sense of security to the owner. You think nothing is wrong............and that may not be true.

Has the outer bearing race in the hub begun to spin? If so you will quickly lose a wheel while driving. Cant happen to me, you say, it did to me.

Has grease gotten past the seal and ruin the brakes on one or more wheels? You have NO idea unless you take the hub off and look.

Are the brake pads and/or magnets worn and in need of replacement? Again, you dont know unless you actually look at them.

To each his own, I prefer to insure the parts are all well lubed and in good condition...............therein lies true peace of mind.............for me
Old 09-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #23

"The biggest problem I see with the EZ-Lube system is it imparts a false sense of security to the owner. You think nothing is wrong............and that may not be true."

I agree with Douglas. Thinking mine were properly lubed using the system cost me an axle. I jacked up the wheel and turned it as I applied the grease but something went wrong and I lost a bearing and that ruined the spindle and almost cost me a camper when it caught fire. Now I do a hand pack once a year.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
The biggest problem I see with the EZ-Lube system is it imparts a false sense of security to the owner. You think nothing is wrong............and that may not be true.

Has the outer bearing race in the hub begun to spin? If so you will quickly lose a wheel while driving. Cant happen to me, you say, it did to me.

Has grease gotten past the seal and ruin the brakes on one or more wheels? You have NO idea unless you take the hub off and look.

Are the brake pads and/or magnets worn and in need of replacement? Again, you dont know unless you actually look at them.

To each his own, I prefer to insure the parts are all well lubed and in good condition...............therein lies true peace of mind.............for me

X2. The EZ system works until it doesn’t, just a matter of time before the seal fails. And you can’t predict that. Mine failed in year 3. Degreasing is a much bigger PITA than proper inspection and repacking.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #25

EZ lube vs pulling hub

This is my experience and how I plan to lube axle bearings. I have had grease blow thru the rear seal and get all over the drum and shoes. I believe I followed the correct procedure to use the EZ lube. Since this is a yearly pm, for me, it is worth pulling the hub and bearings and while off, I can inspect the brake shoes and drums. Can also better clean up bearings and inspect for discoloration and freedom of operation. Better to spend a bit more time than find myself on the side of the road waiting on a rescue.
TN Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #26
Snappy-1

Eze lube fright

If EZE lube is such a bad and scary deal, then why do they keep using it for years and years?
snappy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:20 PM   #27

I had to wipe it out with a rag. Be careful because the inside edge of that hub is razor sharp.
Mountaineer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #28
Snappy-1

You will loose a wheel ?? How’s that? Asking cause I did loose a wheel
snappy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #29

To keep grease from falling in between make a slide out of a piece of cardboard, or paper towel or toilet paper roll cut it down middle.

Slide it in under the axle as you pump grease In old stuff will fall on to cardboard. Then scrape off with screwdriver. You'll have to experiment to get it right, holding while you pump then spin

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #30

My dealer has told me to NEVER use the zerks to grease the bearings as the excess grease will push by the seals and contaminate the break shoes.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #31

I am not a big fan of the ez lube axles, I think you need to take the drums off and inspect. My trailer was 1 year old when I took it apart to grease the wheel bearings. I found a broken bushing. Pumping grease in and hoping it makes it through the bearings and not getting past the seals is one thing, not inspecting what is inside could be a bigger issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18D65082-0709-47F1-9440-27FE94AB3297.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	263697  
Old 10-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #32

Wheel bearings

You have spindles that are drilled and cross drilled so the grease goes directly to the bearings and not through the cavity. Don't get crazy with the grease and no problem. As far as how often to grease, let me ask, how often do you grease your wheel bearings on your tow vehicle? Probably never, trailer bearings incure a lot less use, so?
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
You have spindles that are drilled and cross drilled so the grease goes directly to the bearings and not through the cavity. Don't get crazy with the grease and no problem. As far as how often to grease, let me ask, how often do you grease your wheel bearings on your tow vehicle? Probably never, trailer bearings incure a lot less use, so?
Just wondering how many average miles before you need to pull and inspect bearings?
DeltaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #34
Site Team

Axle mfg's have recommendations for maintenance intervals. A normal recommendation is about 12,000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. A lot of people pull the hubs and inspect every couple of years.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Axle mfg's have recommendations for maintenance intervals. A normal recommendation is about 12,000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. A lot of people pull the hubs and inspect every couple of years.
X2. Since we put ~5k on our rig per year, I pull hubs, inspect bearings, repack by hand and replace seals every 2 years. On alternating years I rotate the tires (left->right and right->left changing axles) to help with wear patterns.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite2316 View Post
We have Dexter Axles on our Flagstaff Micro Lite Model 25RKS. It looks to me like I will need to remove the trailer wheel to grease the wheel bearings without getting grease inside the hub/sleeve. Any ways around this? See pictures.

Also jacking up the trailer, where would you lift from? See pictures.
What is the best way to remove the lug nut covers?

Silverado1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #37
Insert witty title here

I disassemble the hub, repack the bearings by hand and replace the seals every year before the first trip. I've had bad luck with the EZ lube system so I don't use it. This gives me the peace of mind knowing that the bearings have been packed properly. I can also give everything a good inspection.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Are you advocating never inspecting wheel bearings? If so this is wrong. Truck wheel bearings are sealer, camper bearings are not.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #39

Quote:
As far as how often to grease, let me ask, how often do you grease your wheel bearings on your tow vehicle? Probably never, trailer bearings incure a lot less use, so?
As soon as I see a statement like this, it informs me immediately that the poster has no idea what he is talking about and should be ignored. And this invalid comparison about bearings pops up frequently!
Modern auto wheel bearings are sealed and are designed to last the life of the vehicle. That is why there is no maint schedule for them.
RV trailer bearings are not sealed and need to be repacked periodically. I do mine once a year while also inspecting brakes and suspension. My time and grease is cheap
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #40

Wheel Bearing Grease - Dexter Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

I was a bad boy.
I went 6 years (but only 10,500 miles plus mileage from factory to dealer).
Had one tire that was wearing on the inside. Had new hubs, bearings and brakes installed. Tires were also 6 years old, and replaced 2 days ago.

Tags
axle, dexter, wheel