Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

When the trailer is sitting at home...

Hello, I just purchased a 2016 Rockwood 2905ws. We had a 2014 Vibe 308bhs before the Rockwood. I really like the Rockwood and can see how much better built it is compared to our old Vibe (my opinion of course and you know what they say about opinions!). My question is when I have the unit parked here at the house. I had a 30amp plug put on the side of my detached garage where the trailer is parked and plan on keeping it plugged in at all times. The Rockwood has an outdoor kitchen and the fridge is always on when I'm plugged in. There isn't a switch on the inside of the fridge to turn it off and since its bolted down I cant unplug it from behind. The fridge on the inside I can shut off of course, but I'm concerned with the outside fridge running all the time especially in a closed up area and with our Texas heat!

Options on fridge...
Don't leave trailer plugged in all the time
Unbolt and unplug fridge
Unbolt and add a strap of some sort for going down the road instead of having it bolted down
Don't worry about it and move on

I also have questions about the battery. Ive read keeping a unit plugged in all the time will cook the battery. Rockwoods come with a battery disconnect (Vibe... um no) and I was planning on just letting the battery charge for a day or two and then disconnecting the battery. Then a day or two before we head out camping reconnect the battery so it can charge. We only go camping one to two weekends a month. So I guess this could be managed as long as I remember.

Thanks Tim

30amp Plug and surge protector

Waiting on gravel... this is where it will be parked.
beerbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

I hope that keeping a unit plugged in all the time doesn't cook the battery. I leave mine both plugged in all the time just to keep the battery charged.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Put a switch on the outside refrigerator. Should be able to locate the wire going to the outlet without unbolting it, or just unbolt it and install the switch. Shouldn't take much over an hour.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

A simpler solution is to just flip the circut breake that supplies the 120 vac to the fridge when yo want it off.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
A simpler solution is to just flip the circut breake that supplies the 120 vac to the fridge when yo want it off.

Right
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
There you go... someone is thinking! Great idea... I will have to give that a shot! I can just put a little paint on that breaker so I know which one it is when I get back home each time!

Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Would work unless the converter is on the same circuit.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #8

When I had the outdoor kitchen and fridge, the cold adjuster knob in the fridge was also the on/off switch when turned to the mark. Mine was bolted down as yours. Does yours have this?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
When I had the outdoor kitchen and fridge, the cold adjuster knob in the fridge was also the on/off switch when turned to the mark. Mine was bolted down as yours. Does yours have this?
No, and you think it would.

What about keeping the fridge door shut when the its off? I've always been told thats not a good thing. I cant keep it opened because the door to the kitchen itself.

How does everyone else deal with this?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

First off Fridge:

I would suggest installing a switch like OC recommended. You could either unbolt the fridge or look to see if there's an access panel from inside the trailer to behind the fridge (some people have found these).

If you do unbolt it, I'd recommend re-bolting it, not trying to strap it down.

Second, battery:

I thought most people plugged theirs in specifically to keep the battery topped off. If you're plugging it in all the time but not charging the battery then why plug it in?

From what I've learned on this forum, if you're worried about cooking the battery, you just need to make sure you have a 4-stage converter. I don't know what you got from the factory, but I'm sure plenty on here will have opinions on which one to replace it with (if needed)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbuggy View Post
No, and you think it would.

What about keeping the fridge door shut when the its off? I've always been told thats not a good thing. I cant keep it opened because the door to the kitchen itself.

How does everyone else deal with this?

I would turn it off, let it warm up and wipe it down with some Clorox clean up spray. Close the door after its dried. Never had any odor issues in the outdoor kitchen or fridge.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #12

I have an outdoor fridge and also keep my camper plugged in all of the time. What I have done is plugged a short (four outlet) power strip into the outlet where the fridge is plugged and then plugged the fridge into that. The power strip has an on/off switch. Attached it to the side of the compartment with Command Strips. Three minutes...boom...done.
Best,
WA
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #13

Im no expert

Im not an electrician, mechanic or any sort of trained professional... just an end user.

I have left my '14 Salem Plugged in while at home since it was new. I've never had any issues with the battery.
I did the same and ran a 30amp plug with its own breaker to my garage's electrical box.

The Outdoor Kitchen Fridge on mine is the adjustable kind with Off being all the way down and I usually leave it on with bottles of water in it for when I get hot working outside during the spring..... during the hottest summer months last year I think I did shut it off when parked at home.

I have a thermometer hanging in the outdoor kitchen and it does get plenty hot in there in the summer, Im in Central Missouri.

When leaving the fridge off... I have a strap that came with it that I have extended to include the drain plug for the sink, wedged into the door. Its just enough space to leave it open to air but not open enough to stop the outdoor kitchen door from closing.

Mine is a 31BKIS so the outdoor kitchen has a sink, cabinets, fridge and some counter space... its a pretty large compartment but I see no ventilation in or out of it while its closed.

That's my $0.02
yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
Carknocker Family

I just turn the breaker off to that fridge. Matter of fact I turn most of my breakers off when plugged in at home. Only ones I leave on are the main, and the one to converter. Once i shut off fridge, I fold up a towel close it in the door and use travel strap to secure it. About a one inch gap is what it ends up being. My outside kitchen door will still close when I do this.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #15

I put a short power strip on mine also work great
Jerry427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #16

If you have a multi-stage converter, as do most new TTs, you should be able to keep it on all the time. I do this and although I check my battery fluid level every month or so, it has been fine.

The problem used to arise more often when an older TT had a converter that did not switch to maintenance mode but always overcharged the battery. That can lead to fluid loss and destroy the battery.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
I would turn it off, let it warm up and wipe it down with some Clorox clean up spray. Close the door after its dried. Never had any odor issues in the outdoor kitchen or fridge.
Or, by removing/loosening a couple of screws, you can just take the door completely off.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #18

As far as the battery question, I let mine charge for a couple of days then turn the electrical switch to off. A couple of days before hitting the road, I turn it back on. I'm plugged into the 30 amp plug at the side of the house. Works for me.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #19

Try looking inside your trailer behind the outside fridge, on-off switch usually located on back of fridge accessed through cabinet door.
furtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #20

Yall are simply the best! I cant believe all the feedback in such a short time! I've learned so much from reading this forum. Last year was our first year with a camper... around 14 nights out I guess. We lost the Vibe 308bhs we bought last year in a fire and we were discussing if we should replace it or not.

We have 2 sons that are 17 and 13 years old and they wanted us to replace it because they enjoyed going camping. When your teenagers say they want to hang out with their parents still you best take them up on it... we did!

Getting a Rockwood came from reading post on here. After comparing the Rockwood to the Vibe I could really see all the small differences adding up. When it came to buying one I knew twice as much about the camper than the sales rep did. I found only 2 2905ws's in the state and only of of them was a Emerald package. So the sales rep didn't sale me anything... I found it, called put a deposit down on it being it was way down in San Antonio and it was going to be a week or two before i would be free to go pick it up. Probably one of the easiest the sales guy has had in awhile.

We've only been out once in it so far, but have a trip with some friends later this month. Our trial run went smooth and as as planned. I don't think you can ask for much more than that!

Thanks again!

Tags
trailer