Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #41

My reasonings for for hardware were mainly chance of theft at my seasonal site, view of the remote panel, especially in the vent or a storm. However the portable being setup inside as a "semi-permanent" as shown wouldn't e a bad idea. With that setup I would say they are about equal.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
I have a hard wired which I like because I don't have to worry about a place to store portable one or it getting damaged. I also do not have to worry about someone stealing it. I plugged a monitor into mine, run the wire under the RV between the frame & the underbelly, then I cut a hole in the side wall of the kitchen counter & installed the monitor. 2 years & still working.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
You should not have to worry about your chord with an installed unit unless the chord is the problem. When the unit shuts off it will protect the whole circuit. No power moving on the chord, no damage.

When you plug in your 50amp cable in and something is wrong power is applied to your cable right then and just suppose something should happen during the night then your cable is toast

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
When you plug in your 50amp cable in and something is wrong power is applied to your cable right then and just suppose something should happen during the night then your cable is toast

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. If your cable is "toast" then the PI unit will prevent power from reaching any of your electronics. Unless you are saying that the cable itself will cause a fire? I suppose anything is possible.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #45

Im not sure, what series of events, would cause your cord to be damaged.. .
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #46

The cord would have to have a short from hot to hot, hot too common or hot to ground to cause an issue in the cord, in this case cord is already damaged and the breaker in the box should trip.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 PM   #47

I bought the portable PI 30A. I got it last week and will be using it for the first time tomorrow. I also got the cable lock. I was considering the hard wired route. But I don't have the skills and confidence to be cutting cables and wires. I might burn the RV.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #48

I put my hardwire in and didn't cut a single wire. Color for color. Disconnected from the converter connected wires to Surge Guard then connected new 6/4 appliance wire I bought at Lowes and connected color for color to Surge Guard and then back to converter the way it was before.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker View Post
I was considering hard wiring in a PI 50amp. If something were to happen to the power, would it "blow" in the camper? Is there any fire hazard to having a protector? I wouldn't think the protector would be a fire hazard when it does it job, but your comments have me wondering now.
Not mine but it could happen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trashedsurgeprotector.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	102789
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote