Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

WiFi antenna / USB cable

I was looking st getting the Alfa camp pro 2 kit to help with WiFi signal. One of the videos I was watching suggested possibly just running the cable through one of the seals in the slide out. I’m not experienced enough to say if this is a good idea or bad. We would only be doing it while we are camping the few days each time. So it wouldn’t be an extended amount of time. But my first thought was this would be bad due to the seal, or are the seals good enough to accommodate a small single USB cord

Thanks
afmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmiller View Post
I was looking st getting the Alfa camp pro 2 kit to help with WiFi signal. One of the videos I was watching suggested possibly just running the cable through one of the seals in the slide out. I’m not experienced enough to say if this is a good idea or bad. We would only be doing it while we are camping the few days each time. So it wouldn’t be an extended amount of time. But my first thought was this would be bad due to the seal, or are the seals good enough to accommodate a small single USB cord

Thanks

That might work, give it a try.
We fished the cable up the frig vent to the roof , then mounted the antenna on the crank up tv antenna.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
That might work, give it a try.
We fished the cable up the frig vent to the roof , then mounted the antenna on the crank up tv antenna.
How long did that take? Granted time can vary. But on average. Pretty easy to do too? That would be a more permanent and I like that idea
afmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #4

I have an Alfa setup on my trailer, really like it. I mounted the antenna to the top of my roof ladder so it is just below the roof line but can be raised higher if needed. I ran the USB wire down the ladder and across under the back of the trailer to the curb side where I brought it into the trailer through the slide seal on the bottom. The router sits on a side table next to the sofa in the rear of the trailer. The USB wire stays connected all the time and the slide can go in and out without affecting the wire and vice versa.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
How long did that take? Granted time can vary. But on average. Pretty easy to do too? That would be a more permanent and I like that idea
The biggest hassle is getting to the vent area from inside the rig. On my old camper, we had to cut out a panel at the back of a cabinet above the fridge. Worked well.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:49 AM   #6
Always Learning

Tucking it in the corner of the slide is fine, too. I did that temporarily on my new rig since there isn't a fridge vent any longer since my fridge is in a slide.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:

2-3 hours taking my time. Was pretty easy once I planned my path.

Tags
antenna, cable, wifi