Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Question Will my water sanitization be good in 2 weeks??

Hello,

We are Going camping in 2 weeks. When should I sanitize my water system?

We just use city water hookups but I want to sanitize everything. I haven't used my Windjammer in 2 years.

I'm concerned that if I sanitize my water system today, will it still be "clean" in 2 weeks?

It will not be used from the time of sanitization and until we go camping.

Thanks.
gtdkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

IMHO, you're over thinking this. We only sanitized the FW tank, never sanitized if we had water hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #3

We never use our fresh water tank and have never sanitized the water lines. Not saying its not a bad idea to.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #4

I typically only sanitize the entire plumbing system once per season, at the same time that I de-winterize. 1/2 cup bleach and fill the freshwater tank (30 gals). With the water filter still removed but with hot water heater back to normal (not bypassed) from winterizing, pump water through all the faucets and showers both hot and cold sides until you get bleach smell. Or use swimming pool test strips to detect chlorine. Let it sit for between 4 to 12 hours. Drain the freshwater tank until empty and the water heater. Refill it to full. Pump at least 1/2 of the freshwater tank through all the faucets and showers, both hot and cold, until no chlorine is detected. The swimming pool test strips work great for verifying no chlorine. Install new water filter cartridge. Good to go for the entire season. NOTE: you do not want to pass chlorinated water through an activated charcoal water filter. One purpose of the filter is to remove chlorine.

Then dump your grey tank(s). I have a gravel driveway and I just dump my grey water right there in the driveway.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

Everyone who has ever drank out of an rv water system (sanitized or not) will die...
Old 04-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Everyone who has ever drank out of an rv water system (sanitized or not) will die...
Why drink the water when there is beer?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Drink beer, drinking too much water will cause your insides to rust.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Why drink the water when there is beer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Drink beer, drinking too much water will cause your insides to rust.
Its good to know I'm not alone in figuring this out...

Old 04-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Site Team

I sanitize at the beginning of each season.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post

X2 sanitize tank and all pipes at the beginning of every camping season even if you don’t drink the water or use campground water.
Mold & mildew can grow in water sitting in your pipes and fittings.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
X3!! good for the season.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
So will all the rest of us...
mhbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdkad View Post
Hello,

We are Going camping in 2 weeks. When should I sanitize my water system?

We just use city water hookups but I want to sanitize everything. I haven't used my Windjammer in 2 years.

I'm concerned that if I sanitize my water system today, will it still be "clean" in 2 weeks?

It will not be used from the time of sanitization and until we go camping.

Thanks.
We use our 5er on weekends and a few week-long trips per year. I sanitize the water system each Spring before our first trip. I’ve only sanitized twice in one year once when we discovered that we had partially filled the tank with bad water at a provincial park (no signs at all at the water filling station!).

I drain the water system if the trailer will be sitting for more than 2 weeks between outings. I don’t like to have water sitting unused in the hot trailer for too long. No need to re-sanitize; just flush the lines for a few seconds.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It will be fine in 2 weeks.

We sanitize at the beginning of the season and not after that unless we think we got some bad water somewhere. That has only happened once in more years camping than I care to think about!

We fill our fresh tank with our good quality, limestone filtered well water. We have no qualms drinking it or leaving some in the tank/plumbing between trips. (sometimes a month)

Your water quality may vary.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #15

I am very picky about where I get water for the fresh water tank. Here at home it is city water and I still use a filter when I fill. While on the road I check with a CG as to their water source. If it is city water, great. If it is well or spring water, I will not use it. I got burned once and learned the lesson.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
I sanitize the entire FW systemonce a year when de-winterizing like others here have said.

I keep myself sanitized with beer and/or rum on a daily basis when camping.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #17

Rather than just once per year sanitizing I add Clorox to my tank at every fill. About 1/2 tsp per every 5 gallons added (metered).

Chlorinated just like my local utility's water, keeps things from growing in my tank, and before I drink it it goes through the factory filter that takes all taste out. Also keeps filter from having things grow in it.

Amount is what Clorox recommends on their website for purifying "unknown" water.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #18

Fwiw, I santize, with bleach, in the fw tank and lines when I dewinterize. Adding bleach directly into the hose works best for me.

As a final step of dewinterizing, I put a 9 volt water leak detector between the pump and water filter housing just in case something develops a leak. ( My pump and filter are under the bed, and once my filter housing started leaking mid season ruining a weekend away.)

Even after initial checking for leaks, I leave the pump on for several hours after dewinterizing, as the final test for leaks.

Then I find an excuse to go out for a drive to slosh the mixture around in the tank. Letting it sit for few days before draining. I don't rinse after the initial draining.

A few days before a trip, I rinse the fw tank and flush the lines. Then I add enough fresh water at home to last for ntil I arrive at my first campsite with water.

Whenever I add fresh water to my tank away from home I always add Camco water freshener, even though we drink bottled water.

When I get home from a trip, I always drain my fw tank and hw heater.

As far as the hw heater is concerned, it gets bleached once a year at dewinterization along with the fw tank. And drained at the same time the fw tank is drained and rinsed on the same schedule as above.

I treat my hw heater tank with hydrogen peroxide at least once mid season to kill any odor causing bacteria.
And I carry a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the medicine cabinet in case i need to treat the hw heater.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Rather than just once per year sanitizing I add Clorox to my tank at every fill. About 1/2 tsp per every 5 gallons added (metered).

Chlorinated just like my local utility's water, keeps things from growing in my tank, and before I drink it it goes through the factory filter that takes all taste out. Also keeps filter from having things grow in it.

Amount is what Clorox recommends on their website for purifying "unknown" water.
It sounded like a good idea until I thought about it for a moment. It sounds to me as if your water filter is filtering out the chlorine.

That means the water lines downstream from the filter and the water heater are not being sanitized..................Unless sanitize them periodically in addition to the process you just described.

If that is the case a little something extra cannot harm anything, can it?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
It sounded like a good idea until I thought about it for a moment. It sounds to me as if your water filter is filtering out the chlorine.

That means the water lines downstream from the filter and the water heater are not being sanitized..................Unless sanitize them periodically in addition to the process you just described.

If that is the case a little something extra cannot harm anything, can it?

I do a full sanitation before my first annual trip then like Mike, I add a bit of chlorine as I fill my FW tank. However, I've moved my filter outside of the trailer. Water get filtered as it goes into the tank, no filtering after that.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water