Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

Wind dangers?

What winds will a 32 foot Puma with three slides out withstand? It is perma parked and there are two additionally installed jacks under each slide as well as the normal stabilizing jacks. Foam core skirting. A few weeks ago I had a somewhat traumatizing incident. The winds were steady at 20mph with gusts up to 65mph. I was alone and already nervous as it rocked, when all heck broke loose. The fan vent cover in the bathroom was shredded off, things were flying, glass exploding as dishes went flying and Knick knacks popped off counters and shelves, the camper was rocking and I was running out the door. Now I get super nervous when the wind kicks.. which is allllllll the time here. I’ve gone to a hotel twice and am debating on running for it again tonight with forecasted winds of 15 mph with 25 mph gusts. But a huge part of me keeps saying that I’m just being ridiculous and it can handle 25 mph gusts without flipping... running to a hotel all the time is defeating the purpose of the camper quite quickly.
Cah341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #2

I think you answered your own question you had 65 mph gusts............ and had issues. Tipping would probably be over that but there are too many it depends questions............

Only once in 35 years of camping have we thought about leaving since tornado's were forecast in the area...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
llr

I don't think anyone can really say. I would not be concerned about the 25MPH at all, if I knew about the 65MPH in time I would probably not stay there.

I don't know where you are staying but trees and debris is a larger concern for me.

Also what direction is the wind from in relation to the camper? if from the front or back you can bring in the slides and it can handle a lot more. From the sides it is a lot more vulnerable.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

to many factors to consider an exact wind speed. direction of wind vs way camper is sitting etc. I would be more fearful of falling trees and limbs if there are trees around.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #5

Our daughters in-laws pull a 43 ft. King of the Road. He is a weather forecaster and engineer type. He contacted KofR and they told him that the trailer would take over 80 mph sustained wind broadside to turn it over. Of course its heavier then yours but it might give you some idea of what these rigs can handle. We've seen one overturned rig in 50+ years of roaming and it was due to a tornado. I do admit that the pucker factor gets up there when the wind gets up but..........
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

If high winds (over 40MPH or so) or severe thunder storms are forecast, this is what I would do.

In a semi-permanent site:

1) Fill all your tanks with water the more weight on the frame the more stable.
2) Pull in the slides (again more weight on the wheels and stabilizers
3) LEAVE the camper and go to the campground's storm shelter. Most all have them even if you were not briefed on arrival. Any block building (like the showers, or laundry room) will be more secure than your camper.

At a regular campground:

ALL of the above, plus I would hook up the truck.

Remember your camper is just that. It is not a house and not intended to be. When in doubt:

LEAVE the camper and go to the campground's storm shelter. Most all have them even if you were not briefed on arrival. Any block building (like the showers, or laundry room) will be more secure than your camper.

Herk

PS - Many slide out mechanisms can be damaged by "slide supports".

Your weather seal depends on weight being applied to the top and side slide seals. If you lift the slide out, you can compromise the seal letting wind and rain into the camper.

If you are using them for stability, there are better options like X-Chocks and stabilizer supports like JT Strong Arms.

Typically manufacturers do not recommend any item that puts force on the slide due to the damage that can do to the extension/retraction mechanism.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #7

The direction is usually pretty convenient, it comes in from the tongue, so it usually doesn’t hit the side as much. I’m in Kentucky and sitting on the top of a mountain near the Ohio valley (which is where these crazy winds come from... according to my husband lol) there’s only one small tree anywhere near me so that’s not a fear, however it is sitting at the top of a pretty steep hillside. It would make for a wild ride if it were to flip. Sensibly I figure if it didn’t tip at 65 then surely 25 should be no problem. And that’s what my husband and son keep telling me. I guess I just wanted to hear that from people that have actually been in one under those circumstances. Lol. I’m certain he would be annoyed that I’ll listen to you all and not him. �� but if it eases my over active imagination and fears I’ll take that risk and take him fishing to distract him.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

We have ridden out many storms in the camper and only bailed out once for a tornado alert. Do to the fact that the shelter would not take our dog, we rode that one out in the truck.

Just pulled the slides in and hunkered down.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #9

Truly.... thank you to each of you that have taken the time out to answer and soothe the fears of an RV newbie! I’m going to put on my big girl britches! Although I will still run if it hits 65mph again. I’m not THAT brave. Hah!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
Newbie- 21 FBRS

This is a good topic with some good ideas. We had a tough line of wind storms two weeks ago with gusts up to 115. Of course the wind found a trailer park. We haven’t faced the stay or go decision while camping yet. This is the news coverage of the storm below. Pretty scary picture of her trailer!

https://www.fox13news.com/news/tree-...-elderly-woman
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #11

I'm a Kansan and many of our average days include sustained 20+mph winds with higher gusts yet the campgrounds are full of campers. We've been rocked a few times by 55+mph gusts which does get ones attention, but not enough to throw in the towel on RVing. I have pulled in the slides a couple of times, but never felt close to blowing over.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #12

We stayed in the badlands once where the wind came on suddenly with rain and we couldn’t leave. Wind ripped our neighbors tent from the ground and sent it sailing. I would guess it was 50+ mph wind. Trailer rocked good but we survived. If I had to do it over and I knew that was coming, I would have gotten a hotel. Especially now with kids.
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

Get rid of those slide "supports" The slides are designed so they aren't needed. If the trailer rocks from the wind or settles a bit, you're going to damage the slides. I've towed in 40-50 mph wind gusts and had no problems. Leaving it parked with those winds wouldn't be a problem in my opinion.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:03 AM   #14

I have towed in 30mph cross winds. Beyond that and I will stop because of sway. I have seen micro bursts flip trucks and trailers but that was over 70mph and driving.

Never had issues with winds when camping where I thought we were at risk. I put the stabilizers down and fall asleep. Once you get over 50MPH maybe turn the trailer to face the wind if you feel the need but if skirted then you should not need that.

X2 on getting rid of the slide stabilizers. More damage than help from stories I heard. I have seen dealers do this in RV shows and regret it later if there is too much movement. I also agree with filling the tank to add weight.

I do put extra Jack's down to prevent shaking when going down the steps and that would help on the down wind side to prevent some movement.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 AM   #15

I looked this up once and actually found a formula. I don't remember where I found it online. But here it is from my Excel spreadsheet:

=SQRT(B2*B3/(0.00666*B4*(B5-(B6/2))*((B5/2)+(B6/4))))

B2 = total trailer weight (adjust for cargo and water)
B3 = trailer width
B4 = trailer length
B5 = trailer height
B6= tire height

with this formula, I got 70 mph before tip over with my old trailer.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #16

What units did you use to plug in for the dimensions?
rwright13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #17

I used pounds and feet. It returns mph.

I never really knew if you should use ground to top for height, or the actual height of the body, though. I figure tire height factors in, so I just use total height.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #18

Thanks. I get 62 mph for my Flagstaff E-pro 19FD.
With gusts predicted at 60 mph tonight think I'll hitch the truck up and put the stabilizers down.
Hopefully it will ride it out.
rwright13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #19

Remember, the formula is for tipover with broadside wind. It would be much higher if the wind was hitting the front directly.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #20

I found the source of the formula.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...a-73893-2.html