Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Windshield Cover Question

My new E Pro has a front windshield and the dealer recommended getting a windshield cover. There is a parts manufacturer across town here that they recommended. I called them and they do make them and they are $260.

How common is this?
Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Are you asking how common that a cover would cost 260? For a custom fitted cover that doesn't sound like extreme to me shop around. I always look at the value of the item I'm trying to protect when considering cost. Overpaying is not good and cheap has a way of coming back and biting you. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #3

Sorry I guess what I'm asking is: How common is it to even have a windshield cover in the first place?
Old 12-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomap View Post
My new E Pro has a front windshield and the dealer recommended getting a windshield cover.
Why did the dealer recommend a cover? And then not have one to sell you?

Not saying you should or shouldn't do what you want with it. However, I have a front window on my TT but the dealer and subsequent service techs never said anything about covering it. Mine is safety glass like a windshield and although it might help to prevent chips; I'm not overly concerned about it shattering. Except to the same level as my windshield in the truck is. Wouldn't think they'd put it in if it was in emanate danger. Just my opinion.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

I'd put a pair of mud flaps on my tow vehicle instead so it won't throw rocks.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

Just take a piece of pleather, and cut as needed and open doors, put in and close doors, cheep and dirty. Or use retroflex insulation. Used to use that trick for winter time, snow and ice and frost, just used heavy duty plastic for that thought.
Spend the rest of the money on 4 fancy dinners.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Why did the dealer recommend a cover? And then not have one to sell you?

Not saying you should or shouldn't do what you want with it. However, I have a front window on my TT but the dealer and subsequent service techs never said anything about covering it. Mine is safety glass like a windshield and although it might help to prevent chips; I'm not overly concerned about it shattering. Except to the same level as my windshield in the truck is. Wouldn't think they'd put it in if it was in emanate danger. Just my opinion.
I dont think they thought it was a danger - they just mentioned it - and that we have a local company here that makes RV products.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #8
Defender of America

Quote:
I dont think they thought it was a danger - they just mentioned it - and that we have a local company here that makes RV products.
Just so I'm on the same track -

Are you looking for a cover while transporting or when your parked? And I'm assuming it's for the outside and not the inside?
Centerline TS WDH
Old 12-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Just so I'm on the same track -

Are you looking for a cover while transporting or when your parked? And I'm assuming it's for the outside and not the inside?
Outside only - to protect it - I've read the replacements can be spendy. it's my first trailer and I wasnt sure how common cracks are with front windshields.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
Defender of America

I've seen several you tube video of guys that made covers for their front window; but, they seem to leave out steps that make it clear for me. My window id quite large and my take is that securing it to the "frame" is more the issue. I've looked at mine and there's no place to connect it that gives me a good feeling it won't fly off in transit. But that's why I don't make those products and don't have one on my window. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 12-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
I've seen several you tube video of guys that made covers for their front window; but, they seem to leave out steps that make it clear for me. My window id quite large and my take is that securing it to the "frame" is more the issue. I've looked at mine and there's no place to connect it that gives me a good feeling it won't fly off in transit. But that's why I don't make those products and don't have one on my window. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Thanks Nick - I did ask them and they said I had to afix some type of tab/snap connectors to the areas around the window that the cover attaches to - which sounded like a pain in the butt.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadorer99 View Post
Just take a piece of pleather, and cut as needed and open doors, put in and close doors, cheep and dirty. Or use retroflex insulation. Used to use that trick for winter time, snow and ice and frost, just used heavy duty plastic for that thought.
Spend the rest of the money on 4 fancy dinners.
That procedure would be tough to do on a trailer
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

There is another thread somewhere in the forum on this issue. One person made a cover and attached it via a series of suction cups that he purchased from ebay. The suction cups had threaded rods/bolts on the end by which it was fastened to the cover using nuts and fender washers and then just stuck to the window. He claimed it held on through his initial trip at up to 70MPH, I believe.
Another YouTube guy (Garland Style) had a tint shop install a .4mm clear bra type material on his front window to help lessen the impact of rack strikes. I have a call in to a place that does the clear bras to see what options I have.
NevadaMiniLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #14
Defender of America

Don't know if this improved my situation much; but, I put mud flaps on my truck. My theory is that if I minimized what I was kicking up towards the camper, the odds of something hitting the window would be reduced. So far my theory is working. Until of course it doesn't.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 01-07-2022, 07:55 PM   #15

Colomap, I think your concern is justified and I have the same. I have a Mini Lite and already had the front window replaced under warranty because of leaking. Mine is a 2020 and I noticed the 2021s have a recessed glass unlike the raised one on my trailer. So what happens in 5 years time if that window breaks and FR no longer stocks it because they have changed the design, a frequent occurrence in the RV industry?

I feel like I either need to find a way to protect it or get a different trailer. I wish I had thought about this before buying! I would have steered clear of a front window!
KaptKato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Don't know if this improved my situation much; but, I put mud flaps on my truck. My theory is that if I minimized what I was kicking up towards the camper, the odds of something hitting the window would be reduced. So far my theory is working. Until of course it doesn't.
Nick, did you install regular mud flaps (behind each wheel) or one of the "rock guards" that basically mount on/around the hitch? I like the idea of preventing a kick up vs. protecting after a kick up.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #17
Defender of America

Just the regular mud flaps behind each wheel. They are Ford specific and actually look good on my truck.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 01-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaMiniLite View Post
There is another thread somewhere in the forum on this issue. One person made a cover and attached it via a series of suction cups that he purchased from ebay. The suction cups had threaded rods/bolts on the end by which it was fastened to the cover using nuts and fender washers and then just stuck to the window. He claimed it held on through his initial trip at up to 70MPH, I believe.
Another YouTube guy (Garland Style) had a tint shop install a .4mm clear bra type material on his front window to help lessen the impact of rack strikes. I have a call in to a place that does the clear bras to see what options I have.

I found a protective film called Exoshield and there are a couple of others. They are generally used on high end cars and are expensive, about $500 Canadian. There is also a company in Arizona, I believe it is, that makes a cover for Lance trailers. I wish they would make them for Mini Lites. My guess is there are many more Mini Lites than Lances out there!

I personally am quite concerned about this front windshield getting broken in 5 or 6 years time and FR no longer stocking the glass! Not to mention that even if they do have it, one is going to spend the better part of a grand to buy it and have it installed!

Having owned this trailer for one full camping season I have the impression that the build quality is pretty good, compared to other manufacturers, but I'm getting the sense this front window is a BAD idea!
Old 01-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #19

Quote:
My new E Pro has a front windshield and the dealer recommended getting a windshield cover. There is a parts manufacturer across town here that they recommended. I called them and they do make them and they are $260.

How common is this?

What type of cover does your local parts manufacturer make? How does it attach to the windshield?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM2109S View Post
Nick, did you install regular mud flaps (behind each wheel) or one of the "rock guards" that basically mount on/around the hitch? I like the idea of preventing a kick up vs. protecting after a kick up.
Mud flaps tend to bounce rocks and debris around . What i've been using for 7 yrs is the TOW-TECTOR fits on the hitch is like a grass skirt and in 7 yrs have 0 rock chips on the front of my unit from frame on up.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, question