Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

Smile Wireless backup camera setup

I picked up a Peak wireless backup camera that is meant to mount on the license plate bracket of whatever with a transmitter located inside the vehicle. The camera is powered by the backup lights so it only comes on when in reverse. I hope to mount the camera on a home made bracket mounted on the spare tire cover of my Rockwood 8287SS with the transmitter mounted near the top of the trailer back side for maximum range. The 7" monitor mounts on the dash or a visor with straps and is powered by the lighter or aux power connector. Anyone try this type of setup and if so did it have the 30 or so foot range. Since I have to make the bracket and such it's going to be a while before I get it installed and tested so any fore knowledge would be great.
2008 Rockwood 8287SS
2009 F-150

Don't follow me can't you see I'm blind
scruffybuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffybuffalo View Post
I picked up a Peak wireless backup camera that is meant to mount on the license plate bracket of whatever with a transmitter located inside the vehicle. The camera is powered by the backup lights so it only comes on when in reverse. I hope to mount the camera on a home made bracket mounted on the spare tire cover of my Rockwood 8287SS with the transmitter mounted near the top of the trailer back side for maximum range. The 7" monitor mounts on the dash or a visor with straps and is powered by the lighter or aux power connector. Anyone try this type of setup and if so did it have the 30 or so foot range. Since I have to make the bracket and such it's going to be a while before I get it installed and tested so any fore knowledge would be great.
scruffybuffalo, I just installed the same Peak camera system on my pick up. The monitor is too big to mount on the dash so I installed it on the console, the pic are posted on page #5 and #8 from the top under "THINKING OF BUYING A BACK-UP CAMERA NEED HELP" Just a suggestion, keep the transmitter close to the monitor there will be less interference. I did not wire the camera to the back up lights I wire it to the running lights so that way I can view the hitch at any time.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Team

I bought the peak camera too. I tryed it at the back of the RV with the transmitter ran as far forward as possible and the picture was very unstable. Hopefully yours will be better. I wound up mounting it on the license plate and using it as a alignment tool. I plan to order one of the following off Ebay with an extra cable and hardwiring it to the monitor. That way I have the best of both worlds, a backup camera on the TV and a backup camera on the RV and I can switch between them.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

Thanks. I went through the earlier thread and the one post that meant the most was the one where someone said do not let the transmitter get wet. I was not sure on that but now I know.
If I can get a decent signal in testing from the rear of the camper with the transmitter outside near the roof I think I'm going to try to make a small plexiglass case with the transmitter mounted in it that I can seal up and mount it where I get the best picture. If not I will revert to inside mounting on the transmitter and take what I can get. I do like the idea of it being on all the time versus only in reverse though and think I might try to hook it up that way initially.
2008 Rockwood 8287SS
2009 F-150

Don't follow me can't you see I'm blind
scruffybuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

Scruffy...

If possible, please take pics of your work and post them.

Thanks in advance !!

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote