RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #1

Angry Yup, ripped off my TV antenna...

Hey all,

Sad to admit that during a recent trip with the family's new (3 weeks old) Rockwood 8299BS, the low hanging trees that my town refuses to maintain took the life of the Winegard RAYZOR Z1 HD antenna... the mounting base is still attached to the roof of the 5th wheel, but the rotating antenna portion is MIA. I cannot be the first one to have done this... Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a feasible repair, and how did you prevent this from happening again? Great idea with offering an antenna that you do not have to raise and lower, but the location where the antenna is on the roof acts like a hook for any tree branch. Never had this problem with the batwing style crank up antenna on the old Salem

Thanks in advance all.

'18 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8299BS
'14 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL (SOLD)
Tow Rig: 2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L Diesel
CodyPereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Ya loosing the antenna sort of sucks, I'm very much in favor of the old batwing and have that on my rig. I wish I could offer some good advice with regard to your rig. Myself I think I would opt for the winegard batwing crank up.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPereira View Post
Hey all,

Sad to admit that during a recent trip with the family's new (3 weeks old) Rockwood 8299BS, the low hanging trees that my town refuses to maintain took the life of the Winegard RAYZOR Z1 HD antenna... the mounting base is still attached to the roof of the 5th wheel, but the rotating antenna portion is MIA. I cannot be the first one to have done this... Can anyone shed some light on whether this is a feasible repair, and how did you prevent this from happening again? Great idea with offering an antenna that you do not have to raise and lower, but the location where the antenna is on the roof acts like a hook for any tree branch. Never had this problem with the batwing style crank up antenna on the old Salem

Thanks in advance all.
I stopped going under low hanging tree branches.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

^^^

We have that king antenna on ours, and it's ALL we will have for our rental units. Yeah, a tree branch could cause some damage, however it's FAR more likely that a renter will leave the crank up antenna up and go down the road. Now that we own RV's I look at every one I pass and i've seen countless rv's going down the road with the crank up antenna busted over from leaving it up accidentally.

I wouldn't think it would be super hard to repair..
roadtriprvrental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Antenna

With a few pictures of what you have on the roof and the other seperate parts that you have left, I could tell you if it can be fix at decent price.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #6

The DH saw that this was going to be a problem on our street from the get go. After pulling the RV out we drove to the area of the trees, we stopped, then he climbed up on the roof and took pictures of the trees and our roof - with all the roof "goodies" - yes, they would rub. Went to Town Hall and raised a stink, low & behold, they came out and cut all the branches in the whole sub-division!! Problem solved. Now if that could only happen for all the other traveling, sigh.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

That RAYZOR looks like it be less of a problem than the crank down style ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for the responses, especially you Bubbles, not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place! lol..

Between my Dad and I, we are looking to configure a means of incorporating a quick disconnect feature into the RAYZOR Z1 when we reinstall the new one. Luckily, when the old one got torn off, the cable snapped at the thin black cable connection that connects to the coax in the ceiling... relieved that I wouldn't have to chase coax through the bonded ceiling. That would suck.

It goes without saying, be VERY careful with the "crankless" style of antennas. After looking closer at the point of failure, it seems that it was built into the design to break at the post that falls into the tube connected to the interior rotation knob in the event of low clearance conflict. I will try and post some pictures of the proposed Quick Disconnect mod that I am designing to share with the forum members. (if I figure out something that works well.)

Again, thanks everyone for their responses.

P.S. After contacting my town hall directly with a photo of the torn off antenna due to the tree branches, they are now prioritizing tree removal in my neighborhood... better late than never.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPereira View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses, especially you Bubbles, not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place! lol..

Between my Dad and I, we are looking to configure a means of incorporating a quick disconnect feature into the RAYZOR Z1 when we reinstall the new one. Luckily, when the old one got torn off, the cable snapped at the thin black cable connection that connects to the coax in the ceiling... relieved that I wouldn't have to chase coax through the bonded ceiling. That would suck.

It goes without saying, be VERY careful with the "crankless" style of antennas. After looking closer at the point of failure, it seems that it was built into the design to break at the post that falls into the tube connected to the interior rotation knob in the event of low clearance conflict. I will try and post some pictures of the proposed Quick Disconnect mod that I am designing to share with the forum members. (if I figure out something that works well.)

Again, thanks everyone for their responses.

P.S. After contacting my town hall directly with a photo of the torn off antenna due to the tree branches, they are now prioritizing tree removal in my neighborhood... better late than never.
I guess the silver lining is that you're helping prevent this happening to someone else.
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Fan44 View Post
I guess the silver lining is that you're helping prevent this happening to someone else.
Exactly RV_Fan44... I mean, when something bad happens (which inevitably they will with any recreation vehicle) why not share the experience, and help others to not do the same? Another beautiful purpose of forums. Happy Camping.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:19 AM   #11
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I stopped going under low hanging tree branches.
Wow! You are sure smarter than the rest of us!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna