Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #1

20 amp power and inverter

I got lucky and got into a 14x50 covered garage w/ 14 foot doors located 3 blocks from our home. I was planning on leaving our coach next to the house and plugged into 50 amp power all winter. Only problem is that the garage has only one 20 amp outlet. Is that enough to run the inverter/ charger and does the inverter charge both the house and engine batteries?

The house batteries are 6 volt flooded and the engine batteries are 12 volt maintenance free. If I recall from my boating days both have similar charging profiles and my boat alternators charged both banks. My boat was equipped with an inverter w/ a 100 amp charger that was dedicated to the house batteries. The engine batteries had their own dedicated charger.

I have a couple of Battery Tenders I use on my motorcycles as an alternative to just plugging the coach into 20 amp power. I'll get a 30 amp to 110 dog bone tomorrow (I already have a 30 to 50 amp adapter) and should be able to try connecting to 110 tomorrow at the house. I should be able to figure out something by doing that.

We live in Central WA where we can have anything from a dry, mild winter to one where it snows several feet 2-3 times with several hard freezes, hence my desire for covered storage. We hope to get a couple more weekends in before I winterize and do the yearly maintenance.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

A 20 amp duplex will do just fine running the converter to keep your coach and starting batteries charged.

Just be sure to secure the cords so the weight of the wires won't disconnect from the wall outlet.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power