Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #21

Yeah, it does sound strange on the tires.
Even if it was a 2010 chassis that was not built on until 2011 would not explain why the tires were replaced.

Looking the brochure for that year, SS simulators were standard and SS rims optional. Maybe they did an upgrade on the rims after they bought it? Still wouldn't really explain why they would not just use the same tires.

For the upgrade, it looks like your only option to be sure would be to crawl under (aired up and tires blocked of course) and check the tag on the axle. At least you would have a definitive answer.
If it was done maybe the shop was too lazy or didn't know about the tire size changing - they put on new tires but used the same specs?

Just grasping at straws here. I've got no more theories. Without being able to ask the original owner you might be stuck.

P.S. Just thought of something else that might explain the tires. They may have had the tires changed in 2015/16 due to age, but the tire dealer may have put older tires on. It's not unheard of that they may have older tires in stock - very few people look at the date codes. Another straw to grasp at.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #22
Dragonship Captain

You can very easily weigh the unit yourself.

Many truck stops have a "CAT Scale".....find one near you.

https://catscale.com/

Go inside and explain you're a private individual and want to weigh your RV. Drive onto the scale until your head is abeam with the comm pole. Your front axle will be on the forward pad and your rear axle on the mid pad. Hit the button and say your ready.....

Go in and get your printed results.

$12......

I have done it many times with various RV's to see where I was at weight wise.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Yeah, it does sound strange on the tires.
Even if it was a 2010 chassis that was not built on until 2011 would not explain why the tires were replaced.

Looking the brochure for that year, SS simulators were standard and SS rims optional. Maybe they did an upgrade on the rims after they bought it? Still wouldn't really explain why they would not just use the same tires.

For the upgrade, it looks like your only option to be sure would be to crawl under (aired up and tires blocked of course) and check the tag on the axle. At least you would have a definitive answer.
If it was done maybe the shop was too lazy or didn't know about the tire size changing - they put on new tires but used the same specs?

Just grasping at straws here. I've got no more theories. Without being able to ask the original owner you might be stuck.

P.S. Just thought of something else that might explain the tires. They may have had the tires changed in 2015/16 due to age, but the tire dealer may have put older tires on. It's not unheard of that they may have older tires in stock - very few people look at the date codes. Another straw to grasp at.

Chris
Hi Chris,

No upgrade on the rims, still steel wheels with stainless trim.

Can't see this unit with little KM's needing new tire's

Going to call dealer Monday and try and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your suggestions
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
You can very easily weigh the unit yourself.

Many truck stops have a "CAT Scale".....find one near you.

https://catscale.com/

Go inside and explain you're a private individual and want to weigh your RV. Drive onto the scale until your head is abeam with the comm pole. Your front axle will be on the forward pad and your rear axle on the mid pad. Hit the button and say your ready.....

Go in and get your printed results.

$12......

I have done it many times with various RV's to see where I was at weight wise.

Hi - I have used CAT scales many times, I always weight my unit before the long haul to Florida. Problem here is that I do not own this 390RB and I am trying to get the dealer to weigh the front axle as requested by FR.

Appreciate the advice - great forum and great people !!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #25
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Hi - I have used CAT scales many times, I always weight my unit before the long haul to Florida. Problem here is that I do not own this 390RB and I am trying to get the dealer to weigh the front axle as requested by FR.

Appreciate the advice - great forum and great people !!
Ah, missed that point. My bad.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #26

Hi Royston;
Any update on this unit?

Reason I'm asking is that I'll be near the dealer next week and its on my list of units to look at as well, though will probably be slightly out of my price range. Wondering if you got any more information from the dealer.

Thanks

Chris
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #27

Hi Chris,

We put a deposit on it today
Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #28

Thanks for letting me know. It was on the top of my budget but I thought it would be worth a look. It will make my wife happy if it is no longer available.

Congratulations, it looks like fine motor home.

Next on my list might a 2007 Tuscany in Montreal, a bit higher mileage but just over 100K CAD.

BTW if you don't have your "Z" air brake endorsement and your "D" class license you better start the process now.

I took a weekend course at Algonquin College where the instructor also does the air brake test, just take the slip and they add it to your license. Cost around $200 but was well worth it.

For the "D" class you must get a medical first (I only found out from the Z course instructor). If you have had any conditions your application then has to go to "their" doctor for review - it could take six weeks. Mine took longer because my local licensing office never sent mine in! I found this out when I called to inquire after six weeks.

I was lucky that I got a hold of a very dedicated employee - I faxed it in and had it approved by the next day.
You have to pass the written test, same as a commercial driver when you apply. Only one question on mine had anything to do with large vehicles.

Then you have to find a location that can do "D" class driving testing - I ended up doing mine in Cornwall and still took over a month to get a spot. You can search and book online. The route for the driving test was exactly the same as for my daughters regular license except I had to back up at the end. I asked the instructor to get out and ground guide me and all went well.

I bought the motorhome in April and drove it home from Windsor, but it was mid September before I was legally allowed to drive it. ( I have had experience with large vehicles and air brakes before in the army, but doesn't count for a civilian license.)

Chris
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #29

Hi Chris,Thanks for the update

We had been waiting a while for the dealer to come back to us with weights as we thought there may be an overweight issue. It took a lot of persuading but finally they took the unit to be weighed and as far as I can establish it is not overweight but I have still asked FR to confirm. There is also bubbling in some of the lower body and they had a quote from a local paint shop of $1,500 to do the work - dealer is not willing to do this as part of the deal so we are looking at the price + $1,500.

I have been studying the air brake handbook and am pretty confident about the test. I have a medical booked for next week and will probably go through a driver training for the D license at a local training facility where we live. They are recommending I go for a C license but I am not sure I need to do that (they have several buses for training and only 1 truck so maybe that is why they are pushing the C.

Next week that dealer is at a show in Toronto so there won't be many people at the dealership, we are scheduled to go there in a couple of weeks after the show is over.

Will keep you posted.

DW was looking at a few DP in Montreal but its quite a drive from St Catharines so glad we settled on this one.

Roy
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #30

Roy;
Yeah the dealer told me there would be no sales staff on Friday. I'm looking at a Super C at Heidi's on Friday, there are leaving one salesman behind. They've already low-balled me a trade-in offer (all sorts of reasons) so I'm pretty sure they aren't serious, they are also overpriced by a good 20%.(asking $134900 when it should be closer to $118K).

Since the Berk is gone I'm now thinking of going to Sicard's and looking at a 2007 HR Endeavor - higher mileage but reasonably priced. Hope they have sales staff available on Friday. If no joy there I can always try Montreal area.

Good luck and safe travels.

Chris
Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #31

Good luck with the search Chris and safe travels too
Old 02-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Roy;
Yeah the dealer told me there would be no sales staff on Friday. I'm looking at a Super C at Heidi's on Friday, there are leaving one salesman behind. They've already low-balled me a trade-in offer (all sorts of reasons) so I'm pretty sure they aren't serious, they are also overpriced by a good 20%.(asking $134900 when it should be closer to $118K).

Since the Berk is gone I'm now thinking of going to Sicard's and looking at a 2007 HR Endeavor - higher mileage but reasonably priced. Hope they have sales staff available on Friday. If no joy there I can always try Montreal area.

Good luck and safe travels.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Don't give up on ownership of a Berkshire. There are plenty out there and they are really fantastic motorhomes! Let us know if you find another Berkshire for sale and you have any questions.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #33

Thanks Rick;
The pickings in Canada are pretty slim right now due to the difference in the dollar, seems many dealers are not bringing in new(used) stock from the US like they did.

Chris
Old 02-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks Rick;
The pickings in Canada are pretty slim right now due to the difference in the dollar, seems many dealers are not bringing in new(used) stock from the US like they did.

Chris
Keep an eye on the Forest River Forums classifieds too. No middleman, straight previous owner contact. I know the Canadian/US dollar are different, but still a worthwhile option.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, berkshire