Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

2014 Berkshire 390RB Toilet Plumbing

Hello All,

We are on our first big trip in our new coach (Lake George, NY) and during this time I noted that whenever either toilet is flushed, the hot water heater comes on(!?). Seems to indicate that the toilets were plumbed to the hot water lines instead of the cold. The toilets are functioning properly but I'm using up propane to power the heater when it runs in response to water flowing to the toilets.

Being new to a Class A coach I have to ask: Is there a reason why the toilets would be hooked up to the hot water side? If so, can anyone explain?

If not I guess I have a service appointment in my future. Although I hate to think of what they have to rip things apart to get to the water lines (I can't even see them).
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Always Learning

Is your water heater working fine otherwise? Like, are you able to get a hot shower? And hot water from the taps?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

Yes - great hot water whenever needed at taps and shower. No other problems - just don't know why they hooked the toilets to the HW side.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Always Learning

Weird. I don't have any idea, either. I was basically wondering if one of your winterization values were open or even partially open causing it to draw water from the HW heater.

Maybe someone else will come along...
Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

You can verify the plumbing connection at the water bay I believe. There should be a separate valve for the toilet on the cold side.

Jeff
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You could hold the toilet flush valve open for a while and see if the water gets hot coming out the flush nozzle.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

Have you looked in your outside water hook up compartment? The good thing about our Berkshire's is that they have the water manifold set up. Look and make sure that your water line labelled toilet is on the cold water side. Then turn that valve off and check your toilet. You should get no water to it. If this is the case, then your problem is not the toilet being plumbed incorrectly.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

Thanks for that tip, don't know why i didn't think of that. I turned off the cold supply marked toilet and there was no water to either one. Ran the cold water in the bathroom sink and the heater cranked up (?). So the heater is sensing any water flow somehow and starting up. No idea why but have a call in to the dealer to see if they know. Thanks again for all of tbe suggestions.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

We had a similar problem when we first got our MH. I have a tankless water heater and I assume you have the same. Checking with the water heater manufacturer they said that happens when air is in the lines. We checked all of our lines and purge the air from all including the outside shower. The problem continued until we used our washing machine. Surprising when all the air is purged including the washing machine the heater makes a clicking noise but does not go on. You probably have some air in the lines and even if you do not have a washing machine your unit might be plumed for one and contain some air. I hope this helps
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
We had a similar problem when we first got our MH. I have a tankless water heater and I assume you have the same. Checking with the water heater manufacturer they said that happens when air is in the lines. We checked all of our lines and purge the air from all including the outside shower. The problem continued until we used our washing machine. Surprising when all the air is purged including the washing machine the heater makes a clicking noise but does not go on. You probably have some air in the lines and even if you do not have a washing machine your unit might be plumed for one and contain some air. I hope this helps
+1 on our 2011. Happens every time we switch water source until all air is purged from the lines.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

X2 here. I was puzzled at first when hearing it run when diconnecting from city supply each time we break down camp to leave the CG. It only runs for a few seconds.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote