Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

2015 Berkshire XL

Took delivery on a new 2015 Berkshire XL three weeks ago, on the road with it June 22, June 23 no house electricity, no Television, no Microwave, No REFRIGERATOR, food spoiling, Inverter problem, has to go to Magnum repair shop on June 29, Ruined trip, House power will not work on generator, or shore power without Inverter, What Engineer designed this system. Not good
james m rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

So sorry to hear about your problems with your new unit. Does sound like a freaky issue though. I'm sure it will be fixed and you'll get to enjoy many happy days camping.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Sorry for your troubles James, with the details you provided I can't be much help. I'll ask a few questions to get more info.

Did your electrical system work on shore power ever?

Did it work ever on just gen power?

The inverter should not come into play unless no shore or gen power is available. Sounds me me it's a transfer switch issue. Could be a simple as a fuse or as serious as a new transfer switch. Good luck
Old 06-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

James - I can feel your hurt. A somber welcome to the forum. The more diagnostic detail that you can list, may spark a helpful answer from the many talented forum followers.

Since you mentioned the Magnum Inverter, I assume that your 120 vac for your refrigerator isn't working. Since the generator will not supply power either, I suspect it to be the transfer switch. It is located in one of your rear compartments on the drivers side. When you plug in shore power, you should hear a clunk sound from it. It may be defective and locked in the shore position.

I'm sure others may have some suggestions for you.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

I believe all power on select circuits that are powered by the inverter pass through the inverter. Think of it like a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) that would be used for computers. The benefit is automatic switch to battery power upon power loss. The downside is that if the inverter unit is bad you may lose those circuits. There is actually a 30amp breaker in the breaker panel that feeds the inverter and then comes back in to feed individual circuits. I'm assuming you checked the breakers. Does this make sense?
rstnfmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

There is also a push button reset for the inverter on it. Look at the inverter and push the (red, I think) button to see if that helps. Also, the transfer switch should be in the compartment where your 50 amp electric cord is located. If, after you reset the inverter you still have the problem, you might want to give the inverter a rap to see if that frees the points that are inside the inverter. If you are still having issues, you might want to give Magnum a call and see if they can help you trouble shoot your problem.

ps- congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the FORUMS!! Hope you get this issue resolved quickly and that you have many fun, safe and trouble free trips with it!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire