Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

2018 45A XLT roof leaks

Hey Everyone:
Just wondering if anyone saw us traveling through Ak, Tx,Tn, W.Va, Va, Pa, NY with the blue tarp on the roof. We were told by Randy Alwine to put a tarp on our 2018 Berkshire 45A when we called to discuss a recurrent roof leak. This coach leaks like a sieve. We only had it home from Lazy Days for 7 days before it was back at the factory(October 2017) for a front end cap that we were told had gaps and voids.
This time we were out on the road for 6 weeks(Sept-Nov) and the water started first under the a/c cold air return vent. This created a huge puddle of water in front of the refrigerator that initially we blamed on the dogs for tipping over the water bowl. Till water started dripping on my head while cleaning up the puddle. By week 3 we had water running in the cold air vent above the TV soaking the sound bar the back side of the TV and soaked some important papers and our dealers brochure in the cabinet behind the TV. Emptied out the cabinet only to find white mold all under the shelf liner. 2 nights later the vents on the passenger side above the table and over the couch also began leaking leaving puddles on the roof of the slide which was washed over me due to the fact that my husband hit the brakes and all the water rushed forward on the slide and soaked me and the dog. Water was then running down the side wall. When we parked for our last night we put out the slides and proceeded to bed only to find the duvet cover soaked because obviously the vent was now leaking over the bed.
We were told to get on the roof tighten down the air conditioners, caulk any voids & gaps we saw. Then the greatest line of all, cover it with a tarp. A brand new 2018 coach that had been to the factory for 32 days 7 days after we got it home in 2017. Upon returning home we found all of our things that were placed in the basement soaking wet. Cardboards so wet we couldn't pick them up without them falling apart.
We now have appointment for Dec. 3rd back at the factory the earliest they could provide. We would appreciate any ideas, feedback, or legal advice as to how we should proceed.
At what point would this coach be considered a total loss due to the water damage, and/or the damage we can't see.
We did the blue tarp because it matches the tanzanite blue paint job.
wholistic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

I am not trying to add to the misery, but I would think the mold is there (no I think mold is everywhere and part of nature). I think with repeated saturation the mold problem could be permanent. I also think the only solution is to replace the RV with minimal cost to you. Ymmv
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholistic13 View Post
Hey Everyone:
Just wondering if anyone saw us traveling through Ak, Tx,Tn, W.Va, Va, Pa, NY with the blue tarp on the roof. We were told by Randy Alwine to put a tarp on our 2018 Berkshire 45A when we called to discuss a recurrent roof leak. This coach leaks like a sieve. We only had it home from Lazy Days for 7 days before it was back at the factory(October 2017) for a front end cap that we were told had gaps and voids.
This time we were out on the road for 6 weeks(Sept-Nov) and the water started first under the a/c cold air return vent. This created a huge puddle of water in front of the refrigerator that initially we blamed on the dogs for tipping over the water bowl. Till water started dripping on my head while cleaning up the puddle. By week 3 we had water running in the cold air vent above the TV soaking the sound bar the back side of the TV and soaked some important papers and our dealers brochure in the cabinet behind the TV. Emptied out the cabinet only to find white mold all under the shelf liner. 2 nights later the vents on the passenger side above the table and over the couch also began leaking leaving puddles on the roof of the slide which was washed over me due to the fact that my husband hit the brakes and all the water rushed forward on the slide and soaked me and the dog. Water was then running down the side wall. When we parked for our last night we put out the slides and proceeded to bed only to find the duvet cover soaked because obviously the vent was now leaking over the bed.
We were told to get on the roof tighten down the air conditioners, caulk any voids & gaps we saw. Then the greatest line of all, cover it with a tarp. A brand new 2018 coach that had been to the factory for 32 days 7 days after we got it home in 2017. Upon returning home we found all of our things that were placed in the basement soaking wet. Cardboards so wet we couldn't pick them up without them falling apart.
We now have appointment for Dec. 3rd back at the factory the earliest they could provide. We would appreciate any ideas, feedback, or legal advice as to how we should proceed.
At what point would this coach be considered a total loss due to the water damage, and/or the damage we can't see.
We did the blue tarp because it matches the tanzanite blue paint job.

that's sad. i honestly hope they take care of it and make it right. of course once you have mold, you feel its kind of tainted in a way and it may never be right. wow that's disappointing and frustrating.
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

So so sorry. What a shockingly sad story
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

Thanks for your support, we are in total disbelief @ this point. Unfortunately we are beginning to see that this quality control problem is industry wide. Doesn't make it any easier but we know we are not standing alone with this problem.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Team

The site team has moved the above posts to their own thread where hopefully the OP can get the answers they need.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Not usually my style, but I would insist on a replacement unit and I would let a nice attorney write the letter. There is now damage that cannot be repaired and poses a clear and present health hazard.

We all know this industry is falling short on a regular basis but this one takes the cake.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Just curious, why wouldn't you get the RV into a dealer instead of letting it continue to leak? if the Factory was out until December, after all if it had been leaking like you mention I would have had someone at least look at it! JMO
amy8194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #9

why not local dealer

We tried that when we had a problem with electrical last year upon its return from the factory.
#1 most shops don't have room for 45ft coach and they certainly don't want their bays at this time of year (winterization season) to be tied up by a coach that wasn't purchased from them.
#2 we were told with them not knowing how extensive the repeat damage is they didn't want to get into it.
#3 they were also concerned about waiting for parts.
#4 once they got into it and took things apart, it would be very difficult to get it back to the factory if they couldn't handle the repair.
The same saga you didn't buy it here, were sorry your having this problem. But it needs to go back to the factory.
We were told by Lazy Days; We didn't build that coach, we just sold it to you.
Best one I ever heard regarding this whole thing; direct quote from Jeff Dillard Manager of Crown Club @ Lazy Days. "That is what warranties are for"
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #10

Hello Everyone:
Thought you might want to hear the update to our leaking coach Berkshire 45AXLT. Received a called from the diesel division and they had a cancellation so we can now take the coach November 19th. My husband will be staying for a few days to monitor the tear down. They also agreed to do a walk through with him pointing out all the leaking areas. However, yesterday we went in the basement to retrieve some tools and found more water. We feel @ this point having been in the coach during the rain storms is that there is no end to where the water has found it's way, and no way to really determine it's course. We believe that this coach is a total loss. Water in a Coach is like Cancer in the body. You will never know the complete destruction or it's course of action. Some how it will continue with time to rear it's ugly head.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
Dragonship Captain

I strongly suggest you get some legal counsel. I don't say that very often, but this sounds like a mess of epic proportion, and there are health considerations. I suggest your husband take a good look and take pictures when it's torn open. ANY mold needs to be documented and remediated. If it's bad enough I would insist on a total replacement. (See the first sentence)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

any update on this? hope its going well