Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #1

2018 Berkshire 34 QS Kitchen slide, ugh!!

We love our MOHO, but we continue to have issues with the big kitchen slide. So far, the refrigerator end of the slide has had the "H-Frame" schwintek slide system replaced twice. This has resulted in many weeks and weekends of camping with only three slides useable and a narrow hallway to the bedroom. The slide system was replaced once under the original factory warranty and once under the extended warranty that we purchased with the MOHO. Well, last month the dinette end started popping when we put it out and we both knew what was in store soon. It popped again going in. This past week, we were at the Tampa Super Show, in the field. Completely level site. Jacks down, auto-level and the Slide went out fine, with only two pops at the very end.

Six days later, time to leave. All slides in. Jacks still down. And as always, we cross our fingers and push the button to bring the big kitchen slide in. Fridge end moving and the dinette end popping, I notice it's going slower than the fridge end so I stop. Pull the slide back in, lots of popping. Start the engine to get aired up. Lift the jacks, start the engine and get back to ride height. Then we pulled the big kitchen slide in. Worked as it should but with the same horrible popping sound. Slide went all the way in BUT.............the dinette end is now on the floor. Normally, the dinette is about 3/4" off the floor.

I suspect, (well, actually I know for sure) once again the schwintek system has failed and jumped the track. So we are going to The Daytona 500 with three slide operational. This is the second time there with only three slides operational.

So, once we drive back home in April, instead of going straight up the coast to Mass, we are off to Indiana in April for repairs.

I have regularly maintained the slides since we owned the MOHO. Have looked at ALL of the videos associated with the schwintek slide system. This has nothing to do with timing! This has to do with the system design itself. The weight of the kitchen slide in the Berkshire 34QS is killing this system. I guess we just got a bad one, since this is not rampant in the 34QS.

Sad to say, that I don't think we are going to own this MOHO too much longer.

UGGGHH
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

Do you have the aluminum plates under the slide? That is a big help in freeing up the rollers.

Another possibility (suggested to me by the FR Diesel Division) is that one of the rollers is damaged. Jack up the slide and make sure all the rollers move smoothly, and have no surface damage.

I know you've seen my solution to the problem on my coach, which I posted at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2164737
But, I'm adding this link in case any new people come across this discussion, since they might be interested in how to fix it themselves.

I've put 6000 miles on my coach since my repair and stayed at 28 campsites without any problems. My wife handles the chores of putting the slides in and out, and I don't even bother watching her run the kitchen slide any more because it works flawlessly.

We do find that the kitchen slide tends to drag on the floor, scratching it. So, she puts down a piece of 1/8" plexiglass to allow the slide to work on it.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #3

Not sure if you’re aware .... but in the 2019 models they completely changed the big kitchen slide to hydraulic. Clearly because you aren’t the only one with that problem. When we were building ours at the factory the people there said that the 2018 model had a slide that was very unpowered and had to be improved. Wondering if they’d retro fit yours? It piggy backs off the hydraulic fluid for the jacks. Especially if they have to remove your entire slide again, I wonder how much trouble that would be. Hell, even if they made you pay a few bucks to buy the parts but they did the labor. Our kitchen slide is powerful as hell and moves quickly and super smooth. The hydraulic slide is where it’s at! I’d retrofit if It were possible and not too ugly for cost.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies and yes, the second half of the year in 2018, the slide design changed but we didn't like the location of the TV over the dinette. I have been keeping an eye on the rollers since the last repair and they have been operating good with not too much weight on them. At this point, I'm not even going to operate the slide until we go back for repair.

The other two schwintek slides for the sofa and the wardrobe have worked fine. I'm afraid the kitchen is destined to experience ongoing issues.

Not sure if they could change the slide out to hydraulic. I think it will be less work to buy a new one with a hydraulic slide.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Dragonship Captain

On my 38A the kitchen slide is smaller, but still not light and it is a Schwintek. I cross my fingers every time I operate it. I did install the plates under it as it was showing signs of damage from the rollers.

One of the things I've started doing, which may sound goofy but really isn't, is using the levelers to bring either side of the coach up so that the slide is going "down hill" in or out.... It operates noticeably easier that way.....

So now I bring out the wall slide on the right (hydraulic) and then instead of auto leveling I first look at a bubble level to see what we're going to need. I then manually dump my suspension, and operate the right side first, tilting the coach, and bring the Schwintek out DOWN HILL. Then I adjust manually to get to level, having an idea of what I'm going to need from my prior bubble level reading. Lastly I put the bedroom out.

When I leave I retract the right side manually, bring the Schwintek in DOWN HILL and then auto retract.

When we're on the road and do a partial in a rest area I don't operate it, I do the other side.

I know, not elegant but whatever it takes to keep that puppy going.

Tags
berkshire, slide