Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #21

I'm just wondering if you have data to backup your conclusions. Obviously, I'm biased, but when I looked at a Newmar, I found it so appealing that they have a reputation for a very responsive service system. But, why do they need a "very responsive service system" if they don't break nearly as often? What we often don't realize is that so many decisions are wrongly based on conjecture, testimonials and sometimes emotions without the statistical data to support a position. Do the research and then make an informed decision. Either way you go, happy camping.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
Randy A would be the right contact, is it still in the shop? If so wheres it at?

Not currently in the shop, at my rv storage in Keller, TX
Would like to take on the road late Aug or Sept.
You can contact me directly via email,
I would like to know the details of installing skid plates
Under the slide rollers, I think that may help some of
My poping and grinding sounds.

rdonihoo@verizon.net

Thanks
Rick Donihoo
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
Diesel Rep West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonihoo View Post
Not currently in the shop, at my rv storage in Keller, TX
Would like to take on the road late Aug or Sept.
You can contact me directly via email,
I would like to know the details of installing skid plates
Under the slide rollers, I think that may help some of
My poping and grinding sounds.

rdonihoo@verizon.net

Thanks
Rick Donihoo
Let me shoot this up the ladder and see what can be done.
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #24
Commercial Member

We certainly apologize for any any inconvenience you have experienced. Have you been in contact with Forest River or your dealer? What can Forest River Berkshire do to help?
TCDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #25

Seems interesting that only one of three with issues appear to have taken FR up on trying to correct their problems. If they have Done so and just not through here I apologize, but Otherwise kinda telling in My mind.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #26

Although we have had some issues with the coach, both the dealer and factory have been very involved in getting it fixed. Randy, Mitch and the team at the factory have addressed all of the issues and we are looking forward to getting out to use our new motorhome. I have been satisfied with their response once the problems were identified. I will post again once the coach is returned.

Terry
taquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #27

Rick Donihoo,
I'm assuming the slide in question is a flush floor. There are rollers built into the floor that you can access from under the slide. Sounds like 1 of the rollers is to close to side of the opening and cannot roll like it should.

with slide out, roll the seal back and you can see the rollers. Press hard and roll the roller if it grabs that's probably your issue. Let us know if thats the problem.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
We certainly apologize for any any inconvenience you have experienced. Have you been in contact with Forest River or your dealer? What can Forest River Berkshire do to help?

TC
Don’t get me wrong, as I said in my original post, we love
Our Berkshire. And owning many Motorhomes over the
Years, I know they ALL have there issues. Anytime I called
FR ( Randy A). I got the help I needed. I sorta,gave up on
These slides, the coach went out of warranty, and none of
The rv shops seem to know what they were doing in regards to adjusting equalizer slides. Once we got them
Going in and out, I felt I should quit while ahead, although
The only slide that works smoothly is the bed slide.
Both the super slide and the dinette slide go in and out but need adjustments. And the kitchen cabinets broke away from the wall and floated around as the slide went in and out, MHSRV attempted a fix, I would say they got 80% fixed and we have been living with it asis. The super slide actually broke the corner of a tile and. Pops and grinds going in and out, but is goes in and out.

People need to understand, large Motorhomes are complex
Machines with many moving parts and features, even the best QC dept cannot be responsible for latent failure due
To weak components.
I would love to have these slides working smoothly and quietly, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #29

I will chime in a bit since this thread is about the quality of Berkshire motorhomes and the quality of Forest River Berkshire customer service and support.

We purchased a new 2020 Berkshire 34QS at a dealership in Florida in February of 2020. There were several issues we noticed immediately. Most were resolved at the dealership. The most significant issue was a delaminating vent window on the wardrobe side of the bedroom. The dealer did a temporary repair to the window and ordered a replacement from Forest River, with the hope that it would arrive within roughly a two week period that we would still be in the area. Our home is in Indiana, much closer to the factory in Elkhart than to the dealership in Florida. Our thinking was that if the window didn’t arrive in the 2 week period so the dealer could replace it, we would arrange for a visit to the factory for replacement. With the additional benefit of driving and using the coach, we thought we would identify other issues that could be addressed at the factory. And we did find some other issues – nothing major, but things that needed to be taken care of.

We arrived home in early March at about the time that Covid 19 was changing everyday life. We couldn’t go anywhere and the Berkshire factory was pretty much closed for some of this time. Eventually, we made arrangements to bring the coach to the factory in June for the window replacement as well as repair or resolution of the other issues. The gentleman we were working with at the factory (not Randy or Mitch as mentioned earlier in this thread) said it would take about 2 weeks. We were just finishing a camping trip and had some items in the refrigerator. We asked if the coach could be plugged in so the refrigerator could continue running. He said yes, no problem. We asked that more than once. After about a week I contacted him to see how things are going. He said things were progressing, just waiting on some parts. After nearly 2 weeks, I contacted him again, and he relates the same thing. After more than 2 weeks, he contacts me and says the coach is ready. And by the way, there was a miscommunication and the coach was not plugged in for much of the time at the factory. Hence the refrigerator was not running. So likely some spoiled food and associated smells. Yes, the refrigerator was pretty stinky.

We arrived home and found that another window has the same defect as the one that was replaced. We are again working with this gentleman on replacement of this window.

I believe that the quality and reliability of the Berkshire coaches is comparable to the other major players in the industry such as Winnebago, Fleetwood, Tiffin and so on. This is based on my own experiences and contacts and research, but I don’t have hard statistics. I think what separates one brand from another is the customer service and support. I don’t have personal experience with other brands, but read generally good things about certain ones, and less positive about others. Before purchasing, I probably read more good things about Berkshire.

Our experience with the Berkshire customer service and support has so far not been positive. That may be because of the individual we are working with. Perhaps I expect too much. As an example, we received only a very weak apology about the refrigerator. He has not kept me informed about the status of issues.

Bottom line is we like the coach and we expect to get good use for many years. But it would be nice if our customer service was better.
jwleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #30

Jwleslie,
We here what your saying and we have addressed the window replacement with the manufacturer at detail. They are fully aware that replacement parts SHOULD NOT TAKE WEEKS to get a replacement. We have also worked with them to improve the seal installation so this doesn't continue to happen. Unfortunately Covid has slowed down everyone and we are experiences many issues with suppliers unable to supply. We will continue to do our best and we look forward to when this covid is behind us.

Thanks for the posting, it let's us know that our emphasize on customer service is in the right direction!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
Seems interesting that only one of three with issues appear to have taken FR up on trying to correct their problems. If they have Done so and just not through here I apologize, but Otherwise kinda telling in My mind.

Lgave

FR helped with the two slideout issues by providing new rams from the mfg. my problems lingered beyond the warranty period plus, there does not seem to be local talent
Skilled in detail aligning the equalizer hydraulic slides.
As for my AC, I tried two different shops and neither could find the problem, don’t know if it’s freezing or the power control system is drop it the compressor by mistake.
The cabinets breaking loose from the wall is a known problem and FR paid the dealer for the repair, problem is the dealer claims they “did the best they could” which still
Leaves the cabinets about 1/2 in from meeting up with the wall.. so, I’m stuck with a coach out of warranty with several lagging issues that were half ass fixed or not fixed at all. Not blaming FR, it’s a result of too many different types of motorhomes all built differently and not enough properly trained mechanics to go around.
All of this above kept our coach in the shop almost 6 months of the second season we had it. Being retired and on the down hill side of life, I’m trying to make use of the coach while I still can.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #32

Sorry to hear some of you are having issues with your Berk....

We LOVE our Berkshire even tho I’m currently sitting in a Freightliner Service center having a fan clutch replaced!!!!

Ours is a 2008 model (#53 off the production line) we bought in 2011 with 11k miles on it.... It now has a tad over 75K miles on it and we full-time in it...

Sure, we’ve had a few issues along the way but we just try to take them in stride (like today) and continue enjoying our Berk.... It might be 9 yrs old BUT it still looks new and always draws compliments when we pull into CG’s....

FR has ALWAYS stood tall for us even tho we weren’t the original owners....

Mitch and Andy have ALWAYS bent over backwards to assist me in any way they could..... In fact, EVERYONE at FR gets “two thumbs up” from us.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #33

Ernest917,
We appreciate the feedback. I have been doing this a long time and when customers ask, instead of demand we tend to be much more helpful.
We want the customer to be happy with the products we build. I can tell you that I don't remember a time where a customer approached us with a situation that they can't get resolved at the dealer or just wasnt getting the response they wanted and asked us for assistance that we shrugged it off. It may sound like this is a sales line but I and many others do everything in our power to get things resolved in a timely matter.

We really do understand the difficulty at the dealer level and you can trust that we are doing everything we can to improve the reliability and move the industry in positive direction.

Berkshire is committed to a building the best product! Good things are on the horizon for our model and we will continue to strive to be more reliable and customer focused than ever before.

Thanks again for the encouraging feedback and safe travels!

WE REALLY DO LISTEN TO OUR CUSTOMERS!
Old 07-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #34

Having once made the mistake of buying "another brand" I can honestly tell you Forest River is very attentive when it comes to customer service! We are on our second Berkshire, and we wouldn't own any other brand! We have only had a couple of issues, and they involved parts not made by Forest River but we have never been denied service, advice, assistance, or parts. We have worked with Randy Alwine in the past and I can tell you he LISTENS to the Berkshire owners and does everything he can to get the problem fixed! I have witness owners of 8-9 year old coaches complaining to the factory about repairs and the FACTORY STILL HELPS THEM!! Try that with a Newmar or Tiffin! (The other manufacturer that starts with a T wouldn't even talk to you much less fix your issue!!). As previously stated by another owner, ALL motorhomes have breakage issues here and there...... but it is how the manufacturer handles it that makes a difference! And, it really isn't fair when dealerships deny/screw up/ delay repairs and then blame the problem on Forest River! Although, even then, I have seen Forest River step up to the plate to help a Berkshire Owner in anyway they can!
If you are looking for a "problem free" motorhome.... yes I would say keep looking.... but if you are looking for a well built, sturdy, great value motorhome then Berkshire is your answer. Likewise, if you are looking for a company that cares about their owners: Forest River is your answer!
One last thing I will add: The Berkshire Family of owners is a wonderful, helpful group of people that get along, enjoy spending time together, and help each other whenever possible. The Factory representatives never see our group as an inconvenience, a hindrance, or an obstacle. They respect us, they value us, and they do everything they can for us!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire