Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
2019 Berkshire 39A purchase

We're thinking of purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Berkshire 39 A, and are curious
what kind of issues or problems other owners have had ? As this is our first motorhome purchase, Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brian
__________________

BKUHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKUHN View Post
We're thinking of purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Berkshire 39 A, and are curious
what kind of issues or problems other owners have had ? As this is our first motorhome purchase, Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brian
We have a 2018 39A and have been really happy with it so far. The two largest problems that we encountered were that the cabinets on the kitchen wall started pulling away from the wall when the slide was going in and out. The other problem was that one of the drain lines for the back air conditioning unit got crimped during manufacture and it cause a large leak in the bedroom and kitchen ceiling through all the light sockets. It caused water to run down the cabinets in the bedroom which stained the header and the cabinets. FR was great in authorizing all the repairs and we have had no further problems.
__________________

__________________
Bob and Yvonne
2018 Berkshire 39A
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus
Crobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 10
We have just purchase a 2020 39A, I really like the layout. I believe Forest Berkshire offers a lot of "bang for the buck". We are have having a few start up issues, but are working with the factory and dealer for resolution. Where are you looking?

Terry
taquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 440
I bought a used MH- but if I were going to buy new- and I had the time- I would take delivery at the factory if possible. I have heard great things about their deliveries.



If not make it clear to the dealer you plan on a several hour pre delivery inspection. So you know how to work everything and to check everything.


Best of luck-
__________________
2012 390BH
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 55
We have a 2019 Berkshire 40D XL and the long and short of it is I wish I’d never bought the dang thing. We’ve had it a year and still haven’t gotten 4 of the issues repaired that have been haunting us. We’ve had little things like the bedroom fan and shower knobs fall off to water getting into the storage bins, to problems with the Precision Plex to air conditions not working right to the electric counter top causing TV interference and so on and so on. When we went to Arizona for the winter the drivers side front slide starting creeping out while driving. The hydraulic ram was leaking internally, apparently a know problem with the model. It’s been in the shop for about 4 1/2 months out of the past 14 months and still has to go back.

As far as I can tell there is no quality Control. I wish there was a consumer reports type magazine for RVs.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Vince and Charlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Spring Valley OH
Posts: 761
We have a Berkshire 2018 38A. After two years we had the first significant problem. The inverter went out. Called the manufacturer and he reminded me that it came with a three year warranty and then he gave me the name of a Magnum dealer about two hours away. They have one like mine in stock and gave me an appointment for three days from now. Everything else that we've encountered was minor and I could fix myself with medium DIY skills. This is our fourth camper and the best-made so far.
__________________
2018 Berkshire 38A
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
...far N Georgia!
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Hiawassee, GA!
Posts: 3,098
yes, Magnum's THREE year warranty is nice, mine was eventually replaced too, and has had no issues since.
Replacing one yourself is not really a big problem, but since the factory has to try to mount these where they make the most sense for the system, they are not always 'easy' to get to the mounting screws or to remove. Essentially, though, it's only two battery cables that are the main 'connections' to the battery bank. The other 3 or 4 wires are simply plug-in type to the back of the inverter, for sensors or communication with the remote ME-RC panel, etc.
__________________

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Hollingsworth View Post
We have a 2019 Berkshire 40D XL and the long and short of it is I wish Iíd never bought the dang thing. Weíve had it a year and still havenít gotten 4 of the issues repaired that have been haunting us. Weíve had little things like the bedroom fan and shower knobs fall off to water getting into the storage bins, to problems with the Precision Plex to air conditions not working right to the electric counter top causing TV interference and so on and so on. When we went to Arizona for the winter the drivers side front slide starting creeping out while driving. The hydraulic ram was leaking internally, apparently a know problem with the model. Itís been in the shop for about 4 1/2 months out of the past 14 months and still has to go back.

As far as I can tell there is no quality Control. I wish there was a consumer reports type magazine for RVs.
What dealer is working on your unit?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 9
Mr. Hollingsworth. Its unfortunate to hear about your disappointment with your experience in your coach. Please feel free to email me or call with any concerns at mwinterrowd@forestriverinc.com and PH:1-574-296-9641. thank you, and best regards.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 11
2018 nothing but problems with Percision plex

have had 2 years and have not gotten through a trip without major problems.
They have done best to help but wish i never purchased. literally has left me stranded 4x in 2 years
farrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Possible 39A purchase

Thank you to everyone for helping us with your experience with the Berkshire line. We have been looking at a dealership in northern California. They have been very good to deal with, but after reading the responses, I think we have decided to go with a Newmar, or Tiffen brand.
Thank you, Brian
BKUHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell1 View Post
have had 2 years and have not gotten through a trip without major problems.
They have done best to help but wish i never purchased. literally has left me stranded 4x in 2 years
What dealer has been working on your unit?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 4
We certainly apologize for any issues that you have experienced. Have you had contact with anyone in the Forest River Berkshire service department to get your issues rectified? We are here to stand behind the product.
TCDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Lifesylers
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 107
Same here...40xl , all kinds of bugs and issues, poor ass QC and build. I carry rubber mallet just to keep banging the doors back together for one thing. I am not handy dandy repair man, so lots of $$ to keep this thing up to our standards...Money pit, but afraid to buy another bigger pit so keeping it. Can't afford Prevost
__________________
Lifestylers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #15
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestylers View Post
Same here...40xl , all kinds of bugs and issues, poor ass QC and build. I carry rubber mallet just to keep banging the doors back together for one thing. I am not handy dandy repair man, so lots of $$ to keep this thing up to our standards...Money pit, but afraid to buy another bigger pit so keeping it. Can't afford Prevost
What dealer did you buy from and have you worked with anyone on getting the issues fixed?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #16
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 9
Hello, its unfortunate to hear about the issues with your coach. Please contact via email mwinterrowd@forestriverinc.com or by phone 574-296-9641 to address the issues and concerns on your coach. We stand ready to act. Thank you and best regards
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
We have a 2018 39a bought new, had issues with all three slide outs, mainly leaky rams. Our full wall slide is still not right, makes poping and grinding noises, the dinnet slide
Is out of adjustment, I have to push on the front the last few inches going in. Rear A/C freezes up, wonít happen when
Itís in the shop and the mfg wonít warranty. All that being
Said, for the money you wonít find a coach in the same class as a Berkshire. The standard features are far above the other coaches in the same price range, So, if you can put up with working thru poor factory quality control and get all the upfront bugs fixed, itís a very good Motorhome.
The freight liner chassis cannot be beat, the ride is better than any other chassis on the market and I toe a large luxury SUV with no problems.
Overall we love our Berkshire, I just wish it didnít have as many upfront issues. Iím a very good mechanic/handyman so allot of minor issue that I fix are not listed because They arenít causing me that much grief, Iím retired so I have the time. I have owned 6 or 7 class A motorhomes, they ALL
Have their issues, so you have buy based on features/$$
Berkshire is the best bang for the buck compared to all other coaches in the price range. Hope this helps.
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #18
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonihoo View Post
We have a 2018 39a bought new, had issues with all three slide outs, mainly leaky rams. Our full wall slide is still not right, makes poping and grinding noises, the dinnet slide
Is out of adjustment, I have to push on the front the last few inches going in. Rear A/C freezes up, wonít happen when
Itís in the shop and the mfg wonít warranty. All that being
Said, for the money you wonít find a coach in the same class as a Berkshire. The standard features are far above the other coaches in the same price range, So, if you can put up with working thru poor factory quality control and get all the upfront bugs fixed, itís a very good Motorhome.
The freight liner chassis cannot be beat, the ride is better than any other chassis on the market and I toe a large luxury SUV with no problems.
Overall we love our Berkshire, I just wish it didnít have as many upfront issues. Iím a very good mechanic/handyman so allot of minor issue that I fix are not listed because They arenít causing me that much grief, Iím retired so I have the time. I have owned 6 or 7 class A motorhomes, they ALL
Have their issues, so you have buy based on features/$$
Berkshire is the best bang for the buck compared to all other coaches in the price range. Hope this helps.
Have your worked with any of the factory Service reps to get the slide fixed?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 22
2019 Berkshire 39A purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B FR Diesel View Post
Have your worked with any of the factory Service reps to get the slide fixed?


Only Randy A. But itís out of warranty now, is there a Texas
Factory rep I could contact?

BTW, Randy has always been great in addressing our issues,
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
Diesel Rep West Coast
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonihoo View Post
Only Randy A. But itís out of warranty now, is there a Texas
Factory rep I could contact?

BTW, Randy has always been great in addressing our issues,
Randy A would be the right contact, is it still in the shop? If so wheres it at?
__________________

Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkshire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.


×