Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Contact Mitch Wirt at FR. I've heard that the Atwood reset issue may require the unit to be replaced.

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

There is also a recall by Atwood that may address this issue as well might be worth a call to Atwood to get their input.

Wayne
Old 05-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #22

I'm a newbie, but have been all over my GIRARD tankless. In addition to the reset button, there is a sail switch. It's a switch found near the exhaust that has a sail (mine is triangular in shape. When the blower kits on, the sail pushes forward indicating there is air flow. Mine got stuck back indicating no flow and the result was no ignition.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflorin View Post
I'm a newbie, but have been all over my GIRARD tankless. In addition to the reset button, there is a sail switch. It's a switch found near the exhaust that has a sail (mine is triangular in shape. When the blower kits on, the sail pushes forward indicating there is air flow. Mine got stuck back indicating no flow and the result was no ignition.

So you have a 2016 with a Gerard water heater in it. That the first I have heard. Most 15-16 GVW Atwood water heaters in them. What model Gerard do you have?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #24

New, but leftover 2015 400QL that I purchased 29 Mar 16. Definitely a Girard, but I'll have to get back to you on the model. I didn't receive any documentation with the RV. My Berk may have been put together with spare parts. I currently have a stuck slideout, I have had to replace a TV, and am getting pretty good at troubleshooting the little things (getting the hot water back on). I am in Virginia Beach and the place I purchased the unit from (MHS2GO in Grand Rapid), Girard and Forest River have been less responsive than the Virginia DMV. I probably wasted my money on the extended warranty, but we'll have to wait and see if I ever get reimbursed for the TV, the slide out repair, or my alignment problem.

I can say the response on this forum has really helped me to help myself. I intend to pass on all that I learn as I work the bugs out of my RV. I will be spending a lot of time in it touring the country.

Craig
Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So you have a 2016 with a Gerard water heater in it. That the first I have heard. Most 15-16 GVW Atwood water heaters in them. What model Gerard do you have?
My 2015 38A has a Girard also Phil.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #26

I just verified Girard Gen 2. The owner manuals on line to not have any info on Girard, so I understand your question Phil.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #27

They are in California so don't call to early. They were very helpful every tin I called them.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #28

My 2015 400QL Has the Gerard 2
KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #29

Ok this weekend was the first camping trip since Atwood performed the recall. Water heater worked fine except I had one issue I thought strange and I'm not sure if it is related to recall or another issue. The modulating control to min/max BTU did a strange thing. As I have done in the past and as the manual tells you to do I set the control to min to compensate for warmer water this time of year. But the heater would not light nor would the fan turn on unless I set the modulation control back to normal mid setting or higher. I guess a call will be made tomorrow to Attwood but has anyone else experienced this?

Wayne
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #30

Wayne-
Same symptoms I had on my Girard. In my case the Sail switch was stuck in the off (back position). The blower would come on, but the stuck sail would not push forward to close the circuit. It wouldn't hurt to physical open and close the switch. If you want, I can take a picture of what I am talking about on my unit
Old 06-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #31

I understand what you are saying but what is confusing me is turning the modulation control only starts the heater. Maybe that's the intent of the recall but just seems odd

Wayne
Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #32

Wayne tried to set my control lower and had the same result.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #33

Thanks Phil I feel a little better that I'm not the only one but now we just need to find out from Attwood why and how to resolve.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Wayne tried to set my control lower and had the same result.
Phil just got off the phone with Atwood they said that when they had to put this recall in it changed the dynamics of the water heater flow rate and where before it might have taken 1/2 gal to fire now takes 1.0 gal. Turning the modulator toward min changes the flow through the switch so there is not enough to turn on the unit. When you turn the modulator to normal or max this allows more water flow which is the reason it fires at normal or higher. If you are in a campground that has a higher flow everything might work okay on min or not. He wants to examine my unit to see what they can do to solve the problem. He said one issue that compounds it is the shower valves with the temperature control made standard now to prevent scalding adds cold water automatically but then reduces the flow through the heater shutting it off giving you a blast of cold water.
I'll let you know what else I find out.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #35

I haven't had mine in recall yet. We have very low water pressure at our seasonal site this year. It plays hell with the WH.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #36

Quote:
I haven't had mine in recall yet. We have very low water pressure at our seasonal site this year. It plays hell with the WH.

Phil this may sound strange but after talking to Atwood after having the recall done every thing the manual tells you to do goes out the window. I was attempting to reduce the hot water temp by turning the modulation control clockwise toward min what that does is bypass more cold water directly to the burner. The reason our units did not light was we were bypassing the flow switch which is required to turn on the fan and the burner. Turning that same modulation control counterclockwise to max sends max water through flow switch allowing the use of more cold water to regulate less hot. I tried it with the Atwood person here and it worked perfectly. Also try changing the spray pattern on the shower head to a setting that produces more flow.
Even though you haven't had the recall try turning the modulation valve counterclockwise as far as it goes.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #37

38A tankless water heater

Quote:

Phil I also discussed the black tube that keeps getting plugged with mud, bugs or water they told me to turn it so its inside the cover it does not have to be sticking through the opening

Wayne
Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Phil I also discussed the black tube that keeps getting plugged with mud, bugs or water they told me to turn it so its inside the cover it does not have to be sticking through the opening

Wayne

That's good news. I just replaced mine at a cost of 24 $. Not bad but I don't want to keep having that issue. I wonder why they stuck it out like that?
Thanks for all the good info.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #39

Quote:
That's good news. I just replaced mine at a cost of 24 $. Not bad but I don't want to keep having that issue. I wonder why they stuck it out like that?
Thanks for all the good info.

I remember you saying it broke I would have thought yours would have come under the 2 year warranty?

Wayne
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #40

It might have but I had a bug of some type possible mud dauber go up the black tube into the pressure switch. I broke the nipple trying to get it apart.

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater